Other LoI teams in Europe 2018-19

Yes, there are other things to discuss apart from Dundalk F.C. and feel free to discuss them here!

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

ArFella
Youth Team
Youth Team

Other LoI teams in Europe 2018-19

Postby ArFella » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:24 am

I see Cork got drawn against Legia Warsaw in the Champions League First Qualifying round, really tough draw for them, probably the worst they could get. It will be interesting to see how they fare compared to us 2 years ago, the 2 goals we conceded in the Aviva still haunt me to this day and Benson had us all believing in Warsaw. At least Cork have the new safety net so they get at least 2 more games in Europe.

Mon the Town!

ArFella
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Other LoI teams in Europe 2018-19

Postby ArFella » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:42 am

Cork also got the bye into the 3rd Round of the EL if they lose this tie, that will mean they play 2 less games than us if we make the same stage of the EL, might have a bearing on the league title but hopefully not.
Mon the Town!

dillonb3
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby dillonb3 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:47 am

Cork will also pick up coefficient points for reaching the 3rd round of EL. Even if they lose both ties

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:04 pm

That must be a change in things. I always felt that clubs should get the spoils of the rounds previous to the point they enter. Im not particularly clued in to how co-efficiant points work/worked but to have had the QR1 money and co-efficient points added to what we achieved entering at QR2 (like 2 wins even if weighted less for QR1) would have been a nice help with seeding.

We were very much thinking the same when we drew BATE second time round. While they hadnt scared us massively 2015, if anything the ist leg in 2016 was when we were totally outclassed, it was the worst draw we could have gotten then. Undoubtedly after getting to the CL group stages Legia have probably strengthened since we played them so will be interesting to see both them and what Cork offer. Cork are not that suited to European football imo and a fussy ref could really impact on their games. While its harder to get toward group stages for us in due course when back in CL to be able to drop in to later rounds of the EL is probably a positive overall especially if getting a bye and the money/coefficient points with it too. That pushes Corks winnings above 1mil doesnt it without a ball kicked?

Crusaders got a shocking draw too. In EL Derry have a nasty looking group with no 'easy' draw. Odds of Rovers getting a winable draw isnt the best either.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:52 am

dillonb3 wrote:Cork will also pick up coefficient points for reaching the 3rd round of EL. Even if they lose both ties

Historically the Champion's League qualifying rounds have always been worth 0.5 ranking points more than the Europa League - and rightly so I suppose. Sadly, the luck of the draw means Cork will pick up 1.5 points just for turning up (and getting to EL QR3). If I was in their shoes I would have preferred EL QR2, if they think they are good enough. R2 teams are R1 losers plus 3 Preliminary Rd losers so good chance of making R3 on the pitch, and picking up another €260k. You don't get the money if you bypass the round.

dillonb3
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby dillonb3 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:43 pm

Cork undone tonight by a wonder strike. Free kick given away close to dugouts which was passed to an unmarked Legia player in the center of pitch who struck it in from 30 yards out.

Weelilywhite
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Weelilywhite » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:50 am

From reading the reports LW were very rusty and had left a lot of key players out. Caulfield had built LW up to be a super team and I wonder did the Cork lads go out believing that they could not win. Why he did this I cannot figure. The reports seemed to suggest that they were settling for a draw the same as they did in Oriel and when the got chances they were intinitaded . This contrasts with a comment by one of the Dundalk players in this weeks local papers who says that SK also sends out his players thinking they can beat any opposition.

ArFella
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby ArFella » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:22 am

Only 2 players in the Legia team that started against us 2 years, the keeper and their goalscorer last night.
Mon the Town!

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:37 pm

I suspect that each of Cork, Shamrock Rovers and Derry could ship heavy defeats in the 2nd legs.

I really can't see any national co-efficient points coming from any of these matches
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:48 am

A brilliant article by John O'Sullivan that captures the essence of what it means to follow your team through the bad times and into the Champions League.

http://www.the42.ie/john-osullivan-colu ... =shortlink
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

bigalan
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bigalan » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:44 pm

That's an excellent read and a story quite similar to our own. Well first div to champs lge that is!!

Tigger1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Tigger1 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:23 pm

Weelilywhite wrote:From reading the reports LW were very rusty and had left a lot of key players out. Caulfield had built LW up to be a super team and I wonder did the Cork lads go out believing that they could not win. Why he did this I cannot figure. The reports seemed to suggest that they were settling for a draw the same as they did in Oriel and when the got chances they were intinitaded . This contrasts with a comment by one of the Dundalk players in this weeks local papers who says that SK also sends out his players thinking they can beat any opposition.

Not true if I'm being honest. We had three clear cut chances and a stonewall peno denied. They were far from ring rusty. We played very well throughout although I can't understand why Caulfield keeps persisting with our two full backs. In Beattie and Kane we have two of the best in the League and they should be starting each game. Again our problem is putting the ball in the net. Two of our three chances were right in front of goal as well. You had a good result yourselves, best of luck for the return leg.

shedboy4life
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby shedboy4life » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:53 pm

Cork lost 3-0 tonight. Very negative and strange team selection from Caufield again
The natural balance of Irish football has returned for good.

brodser
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby brodser » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:56 am

Was talking to a Polish guy who works with me. He's a Legia supporter. He said Dundalk were a much better team. I asked him what the commentators were saying as they mentioned Dundalk a few times. He said they were saying the same as him - Cork were poor and Dundalk were a far superior side.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:14 am

That's all ifs and buts. I actually though Legia looked weaker against Cork. Having said that they robbed us at the Aviva.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Return to “Non-Dundalk Talk”