Any Boxing Fans Out There

Yes, there are other things to discuss apart from Dundalk F.C. and feel free to discuss them here!

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Burbank White
Club Captain
Club Captain
Location: Inside a diamond encrusted helicopter gunship that runs on panda blood.

Postby Burbank White » Sun Jun 22, 2003 9:35 pm

I was wondering if anyone else saw the Lewis fight last night/this morning (depending upon your time zone) and your thoughts? It was good action, I thought the fight doctor may have been a bit quick on the decision to stop the fight but after looking at the eye in a couple of interviews I am leaning more to his decision. I would like to see a rematch of this fight. If Lewis comes in again this heavy and with this type of performance I could see Klitsckho winning the bout. It seems apparent Lennox wants no part of Chris Byrd so this will have to do.

What do you think about a Lewis v Roy Jones Jr bout? Myself I wish Roy would knock this nonsense off get down in weight and give us the fight we really want, Jones v Bernard 'The Excacutioner' Hopkins at 160 lbs. Any man that will go to Puerto Rico and throw bags of beans and rice and say here's your lunch and step on the Puerto Rican flag and then beat the living the daylights out of an in form Felix Trinidad is a someone I want to see get in the ring with Roy Jones.

If you want to see three good fights check out the Mickey Ward Aurto Gatti thrilogy, best three fights since Ali v Frasier for my money.

Also does anyone have any information regarding a Dublin born fighter now here in LA called Ben Dunne. The kid has done quite well here and in his last fight took out his apponent with a vicious left hook to the body ala Mickey Ward.

Let me illuminate to you the precarious situation in which you have found yourself.
I am the one they call in when things go wrong.
And things have indeed gone wrong.

JIM
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby JIM » Tue Aug 05, 2003 5:00 pm

Lewis wasnt impressive,agree, but he still won.And if a rematch, he will win convincingly iv no doubt.
As for Jones, hes one of the best ever. A great athlete. He beat Hopkins before,and he wud do the same again. I dont see why the big deal with Hopkins. Tito was great but only as a welter,light-middle.
Gatti-Ward were great brawls,but both fighters lack world class quality. Just look at the way De La Hoya dismantled Gatti and ul see why. Watchin them fight 3 times was a bit much.Abit like watchin street fights and not quality boxing.

The Voice
Reserves
Reserves

Postby The Voice » Tue Aug 05, 2003 5:28 pm

Burbank White wrote:Also does anyone have any information regarding a Dublin born fighter now here in LA called Ben Dunne. The kid has done quite well here and in his last fight took out his apponent with a vicious left hook to the body ala Mickey Ward.

Sugar Ray Leonard has taken him under his wing. :;):

Burbank White
Club Captain
Club Captain
Location: Inside a diamond encrusted helicopter gunship that runs on panda blood.

Postby Burbank White » Wed Aug 06, 2003 2:45 am

He's working out of a gym in east LA with Sugar as his promotor. He's due for another fight here shortly, I cannae wait, to see how he's progressed. A long way to go before he's in "Irish" Micky Ward territory but has the potentional.
Let me illuminate to you the precarious situation in which you have found yourself.

JIM
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby JIM » Wed Aug 06, 2003 4:15 pm

IRISH Mickey Ward has limited skills as a boxer.All he is is a street fighter.
Whereas Ben Dunne just could be the business.Ray Leonard is promoting him, and he has gotten big TV exposure on ESPN and Showtime in the states.
Lookin good.
His real names Bernard by the way

The Voice
Reserves
Reserves

Postby The Voice » Wed Aug 06, 2003 4:19 pm

He was interviewed recently on TV3's "Ireland AM" programme. One to keep an eye on.

Burbank White
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby Burbank White » Wed Aug 06, 2003 9:18 pm

JIM wrote:IRISH Mickey Ward has limited skills as a boxer.All he is is a street fighter.
Whereas Ben Dunne just could be the business.Ray Leonard is promoting him, and he has gotten big TV exposure on ESPN and Showtime in the states.
Lookin good.
His real names Bernard by the way

He may have had limited skills, but he had more heart than most fighters ever dream of having. His 10th round with Gatti in their 1st fight is epic. Now if Dunne can match his skills with Ward's heart he will be a world champion by the end of next year.

JIM
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby JIM » Thu Aug 07, 2003 5:27 pm

By the end of next year is abit naive i think. Hes got potential, but so do alot of fighters.Hes gone the right ruite and moved to LA though.The yanks love an Irish fighter,hes v marketable.A world title these days isnt as hard as the past, he could win a mickey mouse title now. But to be considered the best in the division, thats a different story, like Barrera is today. I can see him jump to super-feather and even lightweight.

Agree with Wards heart.I just rather watching boxing the sport and not a brawl.

Burbank White
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby Burbank White » Thu Aug 07, 2003 9:36 pm

Totally agree with the difference from being a 'champion' and best in division. I have to agree with Max Kellerman from ESPN and forget the alphabets and go by the Ring Magazine rankings.
What do you think about Calzaghi and Hopkins, now that's fight I would like to see myself.

JIM
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby JIM » Mon Aug 11, 2003 1:05 pm

would love dat fight.I rate Calzaghe but Hopkins has proven himself, Calzaghe has still to do so really.Hopkins has talked himself out of big fights,he needs to get a move on.I might just fancy Calzaghe due to size and speed,but then again its a flip of a coin.Hopkins wud prob be favourite and rightly so.

Jones Jnr would hammer both.
Never get to see ESPN fights.Alot of the fights arent shown over here,pretty crap.We get DLH-Mosely live on sky tho.Now thats 1 i cant wait for.I fancy Oscar but who knows,it cud be a re-run of the 1st.A very close decision i think

Burbank White
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby Burbank White » Tue Aug 12, 2003 2:56 am

Have to agree about Calzaghe, it's been two years since Hopkins has been in the ring. The problem is Don King and Hopkins refusal to deal with the b*stard.

I have to think Suger Shane can do the business against the DLH. Alot depends on DLH plans for the fight, he has to be almost perfect against Mosely. Cannae wait myself too.

JIM
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby JIM » Tue Aug 12, 2003 10:20 am

Hopkins fought last March in a mandatory defence against a journeyman.
Oscar is in form, and Mosely is not.Havent bn impressed with him at light-middle, but then again styles make fights and Mosely is an excellent boxer, he might have Oscars number. I think DLH will come on strong in the late rounds,hes much better with Mayweather as his new coach. Was impressed with him against Vargas, looked very strong

Burbank White
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby Burbank White » Tue Aug 12, 2003 10:06 pm

That was the most impressive bit about Oscar how strong he was against a banger like Vargas. Who looked pretty good in a recent fight by the way. I think those steriods Fernado was on ruined him for the DLH fight, he didn't need them.

Mayweather Snr is becoming the new Emanual Stewart or Eddie Futch among trainers. Another trainer I like who seems to be doing the right thing is "Bronco" Buddy McGuirt who has a nice collection of boxers he is handling.

Saw Camacho Jr. Friday night, and he is every bit as annoying as his father was from a personality standpoint. Very defensive fighter which will frustrate you to no end.

JIM
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby JIM » Wed Aug 13, 2003 5:03 pm

Vargas seemed physically bigger, hes a bully and im glaad oscar knocked it outta him. Mosely is totally dif fight tho.

I wish we cud get HBO over here. We get few big fights.
Roy Jones is the best boxer i have ever seen. Hes just 2 good for his own good.Hes never bn in a scrap because he is so good.I doubt he ever will,hes a big ego but hey if i cud do wot he does id be the same.
Ray Leonard is a favourite of mine 2,so is Tommy Hearns. thye golden era.

Burbank White
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby Burbank White » Wed Aug 13, 2003 7:08 pm

Roy Jones has the same problem that Larry Holmes had and to an extent Lennox Lewis has. He doesn't have equal to battle against.
Muhammad had Joe Frazier, the real Sugar, Ray Robinson had Jake Lamotta, Tony Zale, and Rocky Graziano, Marvin Hagler had Ray Leonard, Tommy Hearns.

My favourites are:
Sugar Ray Robinson, he made the science sweet. I don't think in my lifetime I'll see another fighter as polished and as good although. (I've only seen his fights on films) Although Roy Jones is a close second.

Marvin Hagler, still think he beat Ray Leonard myself and will never accept that travisty of a decsion.

Alexis Arguello
Wilfred Benitz
Roy Jones Jr
Roberto Duran
Muhammad Ali
Joe Frazier
Larry Holmes, best heavywieght jab I've seen

My least favourites
The Camacho's both Jr and Snr. All mouth and no action.

Ray Leonard late in his career I've always felt he could have fought and should have fought Hagler much earlier, by the time they met Marvin had 14 title defenses, that takes alot out of a boxer.

Mike Tyson, made his reputation between the years of 86-89 and has been living off it ever since. Not the same fighter since Teddy Atlas, and Kevin Rooney trained him and it shows. Has really only been in the ring against a few legitamate heavywieghts and lost those fights. Buster Douglas (his one fight where Buster was in shape), Evander Holyfield, Lennox Lewis and had problems with Razor Ruddick. Perhaps the biggest waste of pure boxing talent the past 25 years.

Return to “Non-Dundalk Talk”