Mobile Coverage in Republic.

Yes, there are other things to discuss apart from Dundalk F.C. and feel free to discuss them here!

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Stephen
Club Captain
Club Captain

Mobile Coverage in Republic.

Postby Stephen » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:24 pm

Looking at getting a southern mobile. Which service providers have the best coverage in the Republic and which should be avoided?

Providers - O2, Vodafone, Meteor, 3-Moble,

Any guidance will be appreciated..

20th May 2014. Dundalk 7 Drogheda United 0

scoops
Reserves
Reserves

Re: Mobile Coverage in Republic.

Postby scoops » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:19 pm

Vodafone have statistically the best coverage for both voice and data however it's a little known fact that 3 have a piggybacking arrangement with Vodafone which means that in areas where 3's network can't offer coverage, you're phone automatically reverts onto the Vodafone network.

3 definitely offer the best value, O2 and Meteor are about the same in terms of value and service, Vodafone tend to be slightly more expensive but offer the fastest speeds for things such as data.

Best thing to do is look at the areas you intend to use your phone the most (geographically) and have a look at the respective operator's coverage maps of those areas and balance that against your expected monthly usage at the costs for that on each network.

grayzer1888
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby grayzer1888 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:20 pm

Meteor's 3G coverage is shite Stephen - avoid.

alan30
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby alan30 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:31 pm

I work in the north and would be in England quite alot with work and once you are on the 3 network it is considered your home network so all calls and texts are charged at the local rate, this doesn't apply to 3G it is charged at a roaming rate. Coverage is also pretty good

Stephen
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby Stephen » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:34 pm

Thanks guys. That's very helpful..

Shoco
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Shoco » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:46 am

alan30 wrote:I work in the north and would be in England quite alot with work and once you are on the 3 network it is considered your home network so all calls and texts are charged at the local rate, this doesn't apply to 3G it is charged at a roaming rate. Coverage is also pretty good

this, its why i use 3, also have all you can eat data

Stephen
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby Stephen » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:55 am

Shoco wrote:
alan30 wrote:I work in the north and would be in England quite alot with work and once you are on the 3 network it is considered your home network so all calls and texts are charged at the local rate, this doesn't apply to 3G it is charged at a roaming rate. Coverage is also pretty good

this, its why i use 3, also have all you can eat data

Just moved to 3 (uk). Absolutely amazing 3G coverage compared to O2 (uk). Lose a little in mobile signal coverage but the unlimited access to data made the switch more than worthwhile. Another massive plus is my UK allowance (unlimited data) can be used in the Republic at no extra cost. No roaming rates in Ireland and 9 other countries.. :-)

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:37 pm

I'm living about 5k over the border and have been arguing rates with my provider for years, I'm still with them (O2 Ireland) and although the coverage is excellent I have to say its damn expensive. Best deal I can get is around €65 per month, but that gives a lot of texts and calls while in the North.

I read Vodafone are doing a special deal for customers based in NI and for NI/Roi only, for £10 extra pm you get to use your allowance all over Ireland, but it does apply to rest of UK or any other country outside ROI, also it only applies to Vodafone Uk (NI customers)

It has suited me to stay with O2 Ireland as I work in Dublin, but for anyone in similar situation, it may be worth checking out that Vodafone uk (NI offer)

Return to “Non-Dundalk Talk”