Redevelopment of Dalymount

Yes, there are other things to discuss apart from Dundalk F.C. and feel free to discuss them here!

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Wexford White
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Redevelopment of Dalymount

Postby Wexford White » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:17 pm

I read Daniel McDonnell's report on the proposed redevelopment of Dalymount with great interest. I got the impression that he sought some opinions at Oriel on Saturday and was more or less given the bum's rush.
I was under the impression that the FAI were stoney broke so I wondered where the cash was going to come from. They haven't paid for the Aviva yet. And even if they do splash the cash I can think of far more deserving causes - like ourselves, for example. To me this appears like rewarding Bohs and Shels for their malpractice, poor management, bad judgement and some very suspect financial dealings.
Oriel Park badly needs refurbishment. Dundalk FC has behaved in an exemplary fashion and deserves any handouts that are going.

The Back of the Wall

Johnny Guitar
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Redevelopment of Dalymount

Postby Johnny Guitar » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:27 pm

Lol I was talking to danny in the lily white on Friday night and the subject came up.
While I like dalymount and it's place in Irish football it does tell that bohs and shels are getting rewarded for malpractice.

I agree with Brian Kerr and what he said on soccer republic that no one should or area shouldn't be seen to be only benefiting.

In relation to hand outs for us, we will probably still be waiting in 2030 for them. We need to develop plans for OP and what can we do. And we shouldn't wait for anyone to knock on our door to hand is money. With the white elephant behind the shed space in op is at a premium.
Stephen Kenny's Black & White Army

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:22 am

Like everyone else my initial reaction was "not one penny". The more I thought about it though, the more sense it made.

Prior to winning the toss to host the League Cup Final we bemoaned the fact that - Tallaght apart - there was no venue in Dublin suitable to hold a major final. Let's be honest, it's actually a nice modern stadium, it's the inhabitants and it's environs that put people off. I actually like the idea of travelling to a neutral venue for the big day out.

I admit that Dalymount and Tolka are in the current state due to mismanagement by the clubs themselves. But is that sufficient reason to dismiss it out of hand? Transferring ownership of both to the FAI would ensure that (a) everyone benefits and (b)the 2 clubs pay their way.

The Aviva has no real meaning for Airtricity League clubs other than being two thirds empty on FAI Cup Final day. If there is to be a windfall from 2020, better that some of it goes into club football instead of just servicing the National Stadium debt.

Chris_19
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Chris_19 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:46 am

If there is cash vailable for club funding, redeveloping Dalymount wouldn't be the top of my list. As much as I like the stadium and it would be great to have a top class, lower capacity stadium in Dublin, I can think of better ways to invest.

There is constant talk of grassroots development, or lack thereof, in the LOI. Also clubs such as Monaghan and almost us have shown how easy it is to go into administration. Surely Kerr is right in saying that no one club should benefit, and we could potentially divvy the money out between clubs, possibly on an application basis with the intentions of benefiting the league as a whole.

For example Cork have shown what marketing can do for our League, grants could be given to clubs for marketing purposes so billboards etc can be funded. Another example could be underage facilities, in which clubs can invest in equipment, managerial courses and facilities for their youth set ups.

For me across the League/country development is far more important than getting one swanky stadium to be used for one League team and one/two cup finals a year.

Burbank White
Club Captain
Club Captain
Location: Inside a diamond encrusted helicopter gunship that runs on panda blood.

Postby Burbank White » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:28 pm

The way forward would be for the FAI to assist in the development of all the grounds into building regional stadiums for all levels of domestic and international football. They don't need to be monster stadiums, but properly placed 5K, 10K, 15K all seaters around the country would do wonders for the game.
Let me illuminate to you the precarious situation in which you have found yourself.
I am the one they call in when things go wrong.
And things have indeed gone wrong.

Return to “Non-Dundalk Talk”