The Conroy Report

Yes, there are other things to discuss apart from Dundalk F.C. and feel free to discuss them here!

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Wexford White
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

The Conroy Report

Postby Wexford White » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:13 pm

I haven't read the Conroy Report yet but one recommendation strikes me as strange: What, I wonder, is the benefit of reducing the Premier Division to 10 teams and increasing membership of the First Division to 10 teams? What good will it do to consign 2 Premier teams to the footballing graveyard that is the First Division?
Is this not at variance with the Genesis Report? And what happened to the A Division, the supposed gateway to the First Division?
It might be ambitious, but I would like to see a 12 team Premiership and a 10 or 12 team First Division.

The Back of the Wall

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Re: The Conroy Report

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:41 pm

They will Probably turn our application down in favour of cabinteely!! They also propose a top 6 bottom 4 split. That is fantastic for the top 6 but the death knell for bottom 4 with paltry attendances and potential for the 7th team to end up with more points than the 5th or 6th team. Didn't work last time they did it and won't work this time
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Johnny Guitar
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Johnny Guitar » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:57 pm

I think the reduction in the pd sides is silly. I think 10 teams the cycle of games is too short and boredom sets in. Also the concept of 12 teams I think is unfair too because of the odd number of series. Probably going out on a limb here but with the relegation dogfight being the way it is, could it not be envisaged to increase to 14 teams where it is only home and away then a split league cab take place if needed. Clubs could be enticed to join a revamped first.

For all the talk I don't think there is any of enticing clubs into the loi and also for the increase prize money is it going to be magiced out of the sky.

I think it's important that a debate starts on it but it isn't the money shot. Personally I think clubs are doing good on a micro level in trying their own promotions and utilising their resources. We are severely falling in the macro level, in the national presses and the national airwaves
And that falls on the fai
Stephen Kenny's Black & White Army

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:22 pm

Johnny, the split idea is an insane one, as I said it didn't work before and won't work this time. It will kill off the bottom 4 teams as they will have dwindling crowds but still have the same bills to pay. It also is a poor advertisement for the league as it will show in the performances on the pitch. Plus the 2 teams who survive the bottom 4 are instantly on an uneven playing field the following season, as their income would have been greatly reduced with the split while the top 6's income would have been significantly increased. 10 team league playing same team 4 times doesn't work. The big crowds turn up when you play a team once at home and once away. Plus this farcical top 6 bottom 4 split won't work. It didn't work last time.it's great for the top 6 generating bumper attendances but will be the deathknell for the bottom 4 playing in front of dwindling attendances but having the same bills to pay. Also will lead to the absurd situation where the 7th team will have more points at end of the season than the 5th or 6th team.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

grayzer
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby grayzer » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:53 am

10 team prem and a split - i pray to the Lord Jesus this doesn#t happen. If it does we may just start digging a grave for the league of Ireland now coz it will be the death of the league.
In Kenny we trust.

Johnny Guitar
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Johnny Guitar » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:01 pm

Stephen Kenny's Black & White Army

Wexford White
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Wexford White » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:47 pm

So now I know a little more about the report and it seems to me that Conroy is telling the FAI and clubs what I used to be told on my old school reports: "Needs to do better."
Apart from that I'm really none the wiser.
The Back of the Wall

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:50 pm

I'm just responding to this topic as I am fed up seeing the 'Stephen Kenny sacked' (from Rovers) heading popping up each time you logged in.

Oh for the record, I think a ten team PD is a terrible idea, it's not perfect with 12 sides playing 3 times a year but it's working. I'd much prefer to see the season extended out to the late November, an end to mid week games and clubs working out how they can plan to pay players over a longer period. Having no wages in Nov, Dec, Jan and probably Feb for some clubs is ridiculous. The off season is far too long also.

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:34 pm

mike wrote:I'm just responding to this topic as I am fed up seeing the 'Stephen Kenny sacked' (from Rovers) heading popping up each time you logged in.

Thinking the very same thing and was going to bump another thread lol

There isn't much happening of substance with the report, which imo could have been cobbled together by a bunch of League of Ireland fans down the pub one evening, until clubs report back. Its a loose framework of rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic so I hope clubs really flesh things out - not a 10 team league at a minimum!!

Return to “Non-Dundalk Talk”