Kenny's comments

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Sneachta
Reserves
Reserves

Kenny's comments

Postby Sneachta » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:32 pm

What's everyone's take on Stephens comments regarding penalties? He makes a good point I think. It is a bizarre statistic. I don't agree with the lambasting he is being about it though.... Even from our own local media. It is a tad petty but when you look at the stats.... Well it is hard to believe. I remember on 2 occasions in Europa league Horgan got chopped out of it against Alkmaar and tel Aviv but he kept going. Perhaps our players need to go down more often.

Anyway, it's great to see so many opposition supporters get their knickers in a twist.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Kezz
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Kenny's comments

Postby Kezz » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:26 pm

Have a nice long look at that now.

Great to see Mr Kenny so rattled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xpEXip5X1U

Wexford White
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Wexford White » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:02 pm

Sounds a bit panicky - and I wouldn't blame him
The Back of the Wall

francie
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby francie » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:14 am

Lovely Stephen is such a lovely man when he is winning everything and picking up his media best manager personality awards etc for last while. It seems he's throwing his fyffe banana toys out of his pram just because he's not in top spot for a few weeks. Bananas like these don't grow on trees

francie
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby francie » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:23 am

My god read his comments etc re penalties worse than I thought. He needs a little minding. Is he in Dublin in bed or I'd Dundalk wherever he is find him and make him better he needs some minding now.

francie
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby francie » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:25 am

Ps thanks again for Seanie what a player

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:40 am

Stephen Kenny is doing his job! He is highlighting an unusual statistic that could put pressure on referees to question when Maguire 'creates' a penalty and whether to give it, a flicker of doubt could sway the ref.. I wont say dive as Kezz and a few other Corkies will really get their knickers in a twist. If it takes some of the attention off the squad who could be feelin the pressure of the chase so be it. Caulfield is a hotheaded manager on the sideline so even if there is a small chance of this annoying him or distracting him a bit well is it wrong to look for an edge on an opponent in the same way that penalties can 'intelligently created' Caulfield should have a seat put beside the 4th official every game to save his voice as he bawls hands in the air in the 4th officials direction for 9mins. If it just simply winds up some opposition fans well it may not be too constructive but it is fund to watch the response.

It isnt kenny feeling the pressure - he has been in a title chases before, trying to avoid relegation, 3 titles one last day of the season and one where we were dropping points for nearly a full month, CL games v FH especially was pressured though after that we were hitting bonus territory. Balancing domestic ambition with travel, after long trips away (and not what Cork fans think is a long trip to a game), losing to Cork last season and the last game against them in Oriel was high pressure stuff and managed quite well by manager and players though a few of us supporters didnt handle it all so well.

Yes yes that Stuey Byrne has been rolled out plenty of times and it says more about Byrne at that time than Kenny that he wins the league and his celebration and post-match interview was anger, bitterness and resentment with a lack of composure and maturity. I hope Cork players lose the plot in the same way! Byrne has changed his tune and probably is embarressed by that clip. His word isnt gospel either.

I am glad that it has garnered some reaction from the Langers, they are watching closely and straight on here to plead their innocence or deflect with decade old clips that had nothing to do with Dundalk or Cork. Cork players will have heard it too and it could back fire but it might not - we will see. The Fair Play tables for the last 3 years tells a story in itself too.

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:54 am

francie wrote:Lovely Stephen is such a lovely man when he is winning everything and picking up his media best manager personality awards etc for last while. It seems he's throwing his fyffe banana toys out of his pram just because he's not in top spot for a few weeks. Bananas like these don't grow on trees

I am sure Fyffes will be ok with knowing Cork fans know the brand and an old slogan too. You all should get as much of Maguire when you can as when the offers come in the Summer English transfer window it wont be Cork City that his first loyalty will be to.

francie
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby francie » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:07 am

Like Hoban towel Horgan and Boyle?

Sneachta
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Sneachta » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:07 am

I'm disappointed at our own posters this week. We've had more input from Cork supporters than DFC. Perhaps we have lives in the north east ;-)

I'd say Stuart Byrne has forgotten all about that interview. That is real heat of the moment stuff. Kezz have you no YouTube clips of all the times Stuart has heaped praise on Stephen Kenny, the players and the club for what they have achieved???

but I'm sure with the amount of time you have on your hands to come on here and constant post you could root something out for me!

Jog on son!

Ridleys regular
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Ridleys regular » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:36 am

Is there anyway the mods can step in here and stop Francie from adding nothing to the debate just bar "thanks for Seani" Getting just dumb now.

Ridleys regular
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Ridleys regular » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:44 am

Kezz wrote:Have a nice long look at that now.

Great to see Mr Kenny so rattled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xpEXip5X1U

What age are you buddy? Really this? Have no problem with proper debate but this is just so juvenile it really belongs in the LOI Banter page.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:56 am

Its the Easter holidays. Francis and lads must be off school. Assuming the Cork fans currently spamming this forum are teenagers...

Thought the comments were out of character for SK. Although I found the statistic interesting.
Prefer if we did our talking on the pitch.

Sneachta
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Sneachta » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:24 am

I actually thought it want a penalty against Cork. But good old stuey byrne pointed to the contact made by the keeper, not the defender was the reason it should've been a peno. I'm still not fully convinced either way.

His comments are out of character. But some in our local media referred to them as "embarrassing". I think those local media experts need to take a hard look at the facts. Fergie was renowned for his " demand" for impeccable time keeping from fourth officials and the peno count in old Trafford during the fergie era had also been the most generous to the home side. I don't near many giving fergie too much stick.

There is no doubt there are anomalies and disparities in sport. Some people don't like to accept when they are pointed out. This I think is the case with Stephen.

Kenny has hardly had a Kevin Keegan moment.

I'll be interested to read his programme notes tonight. They're usually a great read.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:44 am

I have no objection to what Kenny said. It *is* an anomaly and many of the penalties that spring to mind are soft to say the least. I remember at the end of last season Rovers conceding a penalty in Turners Cross for an identical 'foul' to one that Massey didn't get against Rovers a week later.

That said maybe the timing was odd. The week after the Cork match when Kilduff's penalty wasn't given was the time to highlight it. That was a clear penalty - McNulty goes through his ankle and knew he'd fucked up and gotten away with it. Not even remotely debatable. It was a bit out of nowhere this week.
There's only one word for that - magic darts...

Return to “General Discussion”