2017-18 UEFA Champions League

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

RBK
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: 2017-18 UEFA Champions League

Postby RBK » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:14 pm

I don’t know if you are interested, but anyhow... Here is a report from a Rosenborg supporter regarding the team.

To the moderators: If you do not want supporters from outside Dundalk in your Forum – just delete my post and I will stay away.

Rosenborg won the Norwegian Liga every year from 1992 to 2004. Since then we have won it 5 more times, and we may well win this year too (about half the Liga has been played now and we are in the lead with 5 points).

Rosenborg has played internationally every year since the 1989/90 season except one year. Many years in Champions League around year 2000 – also with some quite remarkable results (winning 3-0 against Borussia Dortmund in Dortmund, winning 2-0 against Real Madrid etc.).

However, after ca. 2002-3 the positive development changed, and Rosenborg was not as good as in the “golden years” anymore. The team had 1 manager from 1988 to 2002, but since then there have been 11 managers(!) – each manager had his own ideas and the Rosenborg-style of playing football (4-3-3 with focus on the offensive play) disappeared during these years.

Three years ago, Kåre Ingebrigtsen took over as manager and he has taken Rosenborg “back to the roots”. The focus is back on the “Rosenborg way” of football. This has been a success – Rosenborg has won everything that you can win in Norway since then.

Ingebrigtsen thinks it is better to win 4-3 than to win 1-0. Hence the team is good in the offensive play, but the defensive play can sometimes be a little “optimistic”... This year, the manager has focused more on the defensive play, but the results of that are mixed. The offensive play is not as good as the last couple of years and the defensive is still horrible from time to time.

Rosenborg is in the lead in the Norwegian league this year, but in my opinion this is not because Rosenborg is a good side – it is because all the other teams are either rubbish or very unstable.

The team against Dundalk will probably be as follows (this is purely my guess). Rosenborg always plays 4-3-3 line-up:

Keeper: Andre Hansen. He is good, has been substitute in the national team. Very good in 1-against-1 situations.

Right back: Hedenstad. New guy. Sometimes OK, but sometimes bad performance. OK in the offensive play, weaker in the defensive. Scored two goals in the last 5-1 match against Sandefjord.

Middle defenders: Bjørdal and Reginiussen. Bjørdal is quite average – good head player, but nothing more – have done some “bloopers” this year... Reginiussen is better, plays on the national team, but he too has some “bloopers” this year.

Left back: Skjelvik. Fast player – quite good this year, but he is sometimes in the wrong position.

Right midfielder: Jensen. The captain of the team – very important player for the team. Has played for the Danish national team a few times, but is far from being used on the national team now. Actually he has enormous working capacity and is important both in the offensive and defensive play, but this year he has been far away from his previous level – he looks heavy and without energy.

Defensive midfielder: Konradsen. Good player. He is actually better in the offensive than the defensive in my opinion. Has also been somewhat unstable – some matches are very good, others are rubbish.

Left midfielder: Vilhjalmsson, he is good (can also play striker, defensive midfielder and middle defender). Has scored a lot of goals this season, but has not been used as much since he is competing with Bentner. Now he has been given the midfield position – and this looks like a good solution.

Right wing: Helland. He is actually a good player, but frankly he has not been good since the 2015 season. He will often make a goal if you give him 1 meter of extra space, and he is capable of scoring on free kicks from 20-25 meters (almost like Beckham used to do in his days). However, he has had several matches this year where he has been “invisible” and he is very often injured. He can sometimes be a little “relaxed” when it comes to the defensive work. Has played some matches for the national team, but he is far away from that now.

Striker: Bentner. He came to Rosenborg before this season, and he is a huge disappointment. Does not contribute to the defensive work, looks lazy and is often in a wrong position when Rosenborg is attacking. Has scored a few goals, but not nearly as many as I expected when he came.

Left wing: Midtsjø. He is also good and has now played for the national team a couple of times. However, he can sometimes lose the ball in dangerous situations. Not as good this year as last year. He has played left midfielder most of the matches, but will probably be used as wing this time in order to make room for Vilhjalmsson.

Substitutes: Lundemo is a midfielder – he’s OK, but not more than that. Gersbach is a left back – very talented young Australian boy – good in the offensive, but a little young and not experienced enough yet in the defensive. Meling, new guy. Still a little unstable in his performance – one match he is excellent and the next he does not do much. Rashani and Jevtović: They are both OK, but not more than that – sometimes they play good matches, but the next match can be rubbish. deLanlay is very good, but has just started to play matches after a long knee injury – probably not as good at the moment. The rest are younger boys.

Other things:
The team has collapsed several times this year. After playing well and taken a solid lead, they stop playing football and gets 2 or 3 goals against. Very irritating...

The supporters of Rosenborg are nice people. If you meet some of them they will sit down and have a beer and talk football with you. There are a very few idiots too, but they are so few that you will probably not see them.

The Norwegian league used to have a “middle European level”, but the economy has collapsed in many clubs and the league is not good at the moment. So the fact that we are in the lead with 5 points does not really tell much to be honest…

Some Youtube videos with Highlights from this year (picked a little at random) – Rosenborg in white:
Kristiansund – Rosenborg (ended 3-3): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9ZG-OlrYqo
Rosenborg – Brann (Rosenborg won 2-1): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNJjZ9_LRfQ
Rosenborg – Sogndal (Rosenborg won 3-0): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-_eq4es_4E
Rosenborg – Sandefjord (Rosenborg won 5-1): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps7h1OsO52g

So what do I think about Dundalk vs. Rosenborg? Last year I would have been very confident and said “no way Dundalk will win against us over two matches”. This year I am not confident at all – I will not be surprised if we lose this one – the way the team has played this year has been far from good on several occasions. Fifty-fifty situation is my opinion.

Remember that Norway is a very expensive country. A beer in a restaurant will cost you 7-9 Euros (all alcoholic drinks have high taxes in Norway – only beer can be found in normal shops, wine and stronger only in special shop “Vinmonopolet” or in restaurants/ pubs etc.). Taxi is expensive so fill it up, or go by bus. From airport to city – take the train (cheapest – buy the ticket on the machine or they will charge you extra – train leaves 1 or 2 times an hour), or airport bus or fill up a taxi. Hotels, food etc. cost more than you are used to in Ireland. Trondheim is a nice town with a friendly and relaxed atmosphere and several things to see (if you want to spend some time as a tourist).

Welcome to Norway :-)

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:10 pm

RBK wrote:I don’t know if you are interested, but anyhow... Here is a report from a Rosenborg supporter regarding the team.

To the moderators: If you do not want supporters from outside Dundalk in your Forum – just delete my post and I will stay away :-)

You are very welcome here. Thanks for taking the time to post some really interesting information and observations.

Part of what makes European football so magical is the interaction with other football supporters
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:12 pm

Excellent post RBK, and thank you for taking the time to give such a detailed view on your team and city.

I would disagree with your 50/50 chances though, I would go 70/30 in your favour, maybe 60/40 at best for us, still in your favour, but you just never know. It should be clearer by Wed night.

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:57 pm

Much appreciated RBK. Agree with Ezeikeial that one of the great things about European games is the interaction with all the different fans. Even those from rival clubs in Ireland are free to comment here as they wish and we have no desire to stop that. It will be a struggle for us and also we were a lot stronger last years but Wednesday will certainly be interesting with the early parts of the game all about sounding out opposition and hopefully then we grow in to the tie.

Sneachta
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Sneachta » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:54 pm

This game could have a touch of the hadjuk split game about it. You'd hope we've learned a lot since that game. We played well that night in oriel and slipped for two silly goals. Keeping the opposition scoreless for as long as possible, who knows then!

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Micmac
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Micmac » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:43 pm

Sneachta wrote:3-3. Bendtner scores in time added on while controlling the ball with his hand. What a game!

Bendtner controlled it with his chest

Sneachta
Reserves
Reserves

Re: RE: Re: 2017-18 UEFA Champions League

Postby Sneachta » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:54 pm

Micmac wrote:
Sneachta wrote:3-3. Bendtner scores in time added on while controlling the ball with his hand. What a game!

Bendtner controlled it with his chest

https://youtu.be/g8GYparrRpQ

Looked close to a handball the way the arms were brought together. That's what it looked like initially to me when I was watching the match. No complaints by the opposition would suggest it was fair, maybe

Micmac
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Micmac » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:13 pm

Agreed, it looks a bit like hand-ball, allthough players often use their arms when they take the ball down on their chest, doesn't mean the ball are in contact with the hand though. But yeah, no complaints, fair goal, let's say that :D

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:49 pm

Hand or arm is the same difference surely if the arms were used to help take the sting out of the ball when controlled on the chest it would be or should be handball.

Micmac
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Micmac » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:12 pm

Yeah definately

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby seand » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:48 am

Third round draw is lunchtime today.... we'll play one of these teams if we get through (those of a nervous disposition look away now)

Group 1
Seeded
Linfield (NIR) - Celtic (SCO)
Žilina (SVK) - København (DEN) 1-3
BATE Borisov (BLR) - Alashkert (ARM) 1-1
IFK Mariehamn (FIN) - Legia Warszawa (POL) 0-3
Zrinjski (BIH) - Maribor (SVN) 1-2

BATE only drew at home to the Armenian champions, Maribor, Celtic, Copenhagen and Legia will go through. No easy draws there, c'mon Linfield!

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby seand » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:10 am

CELTIC!!!

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby seand » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:31 am

If we can somehow get past Rosenborg we're drawn away to Celtic/Linfield in the first leg. The home leg would be on August 1/2.... Oriel Park is not up to standard and Man bloomin United are in the Aviva on August 2!

McNultys Discopants
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby McNultys Discopants » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:51 am

seand wrote:If we can somehow get past Rosenborg we're drawn away to Celtic/Linfield in the first leg. The home leg would be on August 1/2.... Oriel Park is not up to standard and Man bloomin United are in the Aviva on August 2!

Surely we wouldn't want it there anyway? 10k Dundalk fans with 40+k Irish "Celtic" fans? Be effectively giving them 2 home legs despite the big payday.

Tallaght surely be better option anyway as it'd still be a sort of home game?

0rl
Reserves
Reserves

Postby 0rl » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:03 pm

They'd probably have the option of switching the legs if the Aviva was required. It'd be a hard decision as it's a lot of money to turn down (a full Aviva).

Anyway it'll be a great problem to have this time next week :-)

Return to “General Discussion”