Ireland under 21s

Yes, there are other things to discuss apart from Dundalk F.C. and feel free to discuss them here!

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Ireland under 21s

Postby colymull » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:45 pm

I've had a bit of a flashback of an Ireland under 21 match being played in Oriel back in the early 90s. Anyone else remember this? Not sure of the opposition but something tells me that a young Roy Keane played. It would have been during his Forest days, and I seem to remember that everyone was there to see him.
I've googled it but with no success!!

King Kenny!

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Re: Ireland under 21s

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:46 pm

I remember a b game I think v Scotland colly. niall Quinn played and if memory serves me Robert fleck and Gordon durie for Scotland.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:52 pm

colly it was actually u21.. I just did a google search and here are the match details: future Dundalk player Ken Demange played as did former ucd and limerick manager Martin Russell. The I. Ferguson who played with clyde doesn't appear to be the same Iain Ferguson who played 4 games for us in the 90's.

U21s in Oriel
The night before the Ireland v Scotland match, Oriel Park was the venue for an U-21 match between the two sides. Jack Charlton was in attendance as 2,682 people turned up for the match that featured many future stars. Ireland should have taken the lead after 18 minutes when Liverpool’s Brian Mooney crossed for Niall Quinn but the Arsenal striker’s goal was ruled out for offside. Future Dundalk player Ken De Mange, then with Liverpool, also went close. Gary Kelly, part of the Kelly goalkeeping dynasty that honoured Ireland for many years, made a mistake that allowed Robert Shannon to score. Scotland went two goals up when Robert Fleck of Rangers crossed for Kevin Gallacher (then of Dundee United and would end up at Blackburn and Newcastle) to score. De Mange pulled one back late on.
The teams that played in Oriel that night was:
Ireland: Gary Kelly (Newcastle), Denis Irwin (then of Oldham but future Man Utd legend), Gino Brazil (Man Utd), Eamon Collins (Portsmouth), Pat Dolan (Walsall….yesthat Pat Dolan); Callaghan (Stoke), Mick Milligan (Oldham); Ken De Mange (Liverpool); Niall Quinn (Arsenal); Brian Mooney (Liverpool); Martin Russell (Man Utd)
Scotland: Goram (Oldham – future Glasgow Rangers keeper), Shannon (Dundee), Whyte (Celtic); Grant (Celtic); Boyd (Motherwell); Duffy (Dundee); I Ferguson (Clyde); D Ferguson (Rangers), R Fleck (Rangers), Gallacher (Dundeed U), Tortoiano (Hibs).
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby colymull » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:47 am

That could be the one I'm thinking off, perhaps I'm mixing Quinn up with Keane. I do remember some man beside me giving dogs abuse to, obviously now, Quinn!! Kept shouting 'he's effing useless, he'll never make it"!!!
King Kenny!

Duffman
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Duffman » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:04 pm

It was one of my first times doing the turnstiles in OP, we played Malta back in 89/90. Don't remember Keane but i think our past player Tony Cousins played that night.

Return to “Non-Dundalk Talk”