2019 & 2020 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: 2019 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Post by dundalkfc1903 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:13 pm

It's going to be the most interesting off season in years. The consortium didn't have enough time to influence last year's transfer business. Will we see more overseas players come in? Loan deals from clubs where the investors have other interests? Or cherry pick what we can from within the league? Sadlier, Mceneff, McNamee,

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:17 pm

Their thinking seems to be profits from two angles - European progression and player sales.

I'd be surprised if journeymen like Marco turn up again. My guess is we will try to cherry pick the best League of Ireland players to compete in Europe and younger talented players that we can shop window in the process.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:21 pm

dundalkfc1903 wrote:It's going to be the most interesting off season in years. The consortium didn't have enough time to influence last year's transfer business. Will we see more overseas players come in?
Loan deals from clubs where the investors have other interests? Or cherry pick what we can from within the league? Sadlier, Mceneff, McNamee,
I would be surprised if we are not active for Sadlier and McEneff although either could be attracted by UK offers. McNamee is not an obvious target and Aaron Bolger is a better prospect over the next couple of years.

Wingers are in short supply and we will probably need 2 of them.

Loan moves don't have a great history of success, but could play a part if the right player is available.

No matter the strategy, Stephen Kenny must have the final say in any signing
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

dell1
Reserves
Reserves

Post by dell1 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:46 pm

John Caulfield's future could have a baring on the possibility of targeting the likes of Sadlier and McNamee, if Caulfield stays they will leave. probably O'Hanlon also. While on the topic of Cork players out, Dunleavy doesnt seem to have recovered from injury and Delaney is unlikey to extend playing beyond this season. Cummins hasnt been the answer for O'Sullivan never mind Maguire. It certainly will be an interesting off season on all fronts.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:40 pm

McNamee is out of contract at the end of the season. Sadlier's contract is also due to expire although there is a suggestion that either the club or the player hold a 1 season option.

Even if Caulfield left I can't see either of them being at Cork next season.

Imo only Sadlier has the potential to strength our squad.
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by dundalkfc1903 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:50 pm

Ezeikial wrote:McNamee is out of contract at the end of the season. Sadlier's contract is also due to expire although there is a suggestion that either the club or the player hold a 1 season option.

I wouldn't discount McNamee. If Benson goes then we will need even more CM reinforcements. In my opinion McNamee has the potential to be one of the top midfielders in the country. Stephen Kenny can help him become that player. Add in the Derry connections and I think he is a very obvious target.
I still can't believe we didn't go all in for Watts. He was a glaringly obvious choice for us.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:40 pm

There was this whole thing about McNamee’s studies when Limerick thought he was joining them. I think he has great potential too, but I’d only sign him if Benson goes and we can’t get McEneff.

Martin Lawlor80
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:51 pm

dundalkfc1903 wrote:
Ezeikial wrote:McNamee is out of contract at the end of the season. Sadlier's contract is also due to expire although there is a suggestion that either the club or the player hold a 1 season option.

I wouldn't discount McNamee. If Benson goes then we will need even more CM reinforcements. In my opinion McNamee has the potential to be one of the top midfielders in the country. Stephen Kenny can help him become that player. Add in the Derry connections and I think he is a very obvious target.
I still can't believe we didn't go all in for Watts. He was a glaringly obvious choice for us.

Wasn’t the deal practically done? Then he had second thoughts about how much game time he’d get

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by dundalkfc1903 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:20 pm

Martin Lawlor80 wrote: Wasn’t the deal practically done? Then he had second thoughts about how much game time he’d get
That was the rumour, Rovers guaranteed him a starting place, Stephen Kenny couldn't guarantee it. Money always talks though and Watts would have been worth it.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:23 pm

OK, stretching it here but it's too good to leave outside.

Liam Buckley has resigned by mutual consent. Should make Bohs nervous.

Check out @stpatsfc’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/stpatsfc/status/104 ... 92417?s=09

dell1
Reserves
Reserves

Post by dell1 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:32 pm

Its not beyond the bounds that Long could move to inchicore!? He is on the verge of having a very good side at Bohs if he can keep them together. Then if he were to move to St Pats he could spend Kelleher's cash and sign up his former Bohs players. Pats stayed loyal to Buckley after last season and they looked like they were going to press in to a European slot at one point and then just went back to being the leagues 3rd biggest underachievers after Rovers and Cork....

Johnny Guitar
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Johnny Guitar » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:34 pm

Bohs are a bigger club than pats. And pats have as much money as bohs. Can't see long or crolly leaving

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Stephen Kenny's Black & White Army

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:02 pm

Buckley, St Pats and Keith Long speculation stuff is all more relevant in non-Dundalk talk.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:02 am

In cold light of sober day I don't think we kicked on after the summer break the way the results we were getting before that suggested we might. Between the two Brandywell games we were sensational. And we never hit those heights after that. There's something not quite clicking. I think we all see that. Personally I still think we're missing that bit of vision in the middle of the park to unpick the locks.

On the blessing in disguise front there's been enough of a drop off in Duffy's performances since the wonder goal against Tallinn that we might not have the battle on our hands to keep him that we were facing. It's not a criticism - he's still our most potent attacking threat. But he's not finishing the season the way Horgan did when we were destined to lose him.

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by White Horse » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:20 am

We are still a work in progress. Defensively, we give away silly goals. Midfield, as you say, can lack creativity. I think this side has huge potential and the re-signing of McEleney will be the key to unlocking it.

The first 60 minutes last night, when McEleney and McGrath were playing in midfield with Shields was an eye opener. Both were alternating between dropping off to pick up possession and getting forward to support Hoban. It was fluid and dynamic. The Derry midfield could not get close to them.

Kenny has a vision for this team and he will add to it in areas where there are weaknesses. We are in for a great few years.