Next Permanent Dundalk Captain

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Gartland
65%
Massey
3%
Shields
19%
Gannon
11%
Hoban
No votes
McEleney
No votes
Someone else
3%

Total votes: 37

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by dundalkfc1903 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:54 am

Ok, so the armband is up for grabs. Gartland is long odds on for the job, having deputised for the last number of years and also being an honorary Dundalk man now. But should Vinny look at someone younger?

Personally I think Sean Gannon would make a great captain - he is a guaranteed starter when fit, leads by example, has committed to the club long term, he is the best player in the league in his position, and is not afraid to speak his mind on the pitch.
Plenty would probably argue for Shields, longest servant, a total warrior and a fine defensive midfielder.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Next Permanent Dundalk Captain

Post by oldfogey » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:35 pm

I think Chris is the type of person who would be hindered by the captaincy, much happier playing on the edge.
I stand to be corrected but I believe Massey was captain a number of times last season when Gartland was unavailable. You certainly don't want Hoban or McEleney bothered with that kind of pressure when the chips are down. I really can't see past Gartland. We've not signed anyone more suitable in the close season and he led the team through a tough time after the Waterford game.

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by colymull » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:04 pm

I like Garts as captain, he has every trait that you would want in a captain. A leader on and off the pitch, definitely future manager material. Good shout about Gannon, and his time will probably come but definitely Garts now!!

Chrish
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Chrish » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:27 pm

The only issue with Garts is I am not sure he is a definite starter. If Boyle were to come back as was speculated himself Hoare and Cleary would all be inline for starts.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:34 pm

No reason to change things and to continue in the well documented, continuity plan !

BG as skipper. DM as vice captain.

Conroy
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Conroy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:28 pm

With the dressing room we have I do not feel the armband is as important as it may be in other sides in the league. We have leaders all over the pitch. I'd be happy with any of the above taking it.

Jim Murphy
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Jim Murphy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:32 pm

Anyone remember this story that appeared in several national newspapers on Feb 20 2009:-

Former Bohs midfielder, Stephen O'Donnell, is on the brink of signing for newly promote Dundalk under his former Dalymount boss Sean Connor. Connor brought him from Falkirk to Dalymount where he was a member of the Bohs Double winning squad.

Anyone remember why he ended up with Cork instead of Oriel Park.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:46 pm

Jim Murphy wrote:Anyone remember this story that appeared in several national newspapers on Feb 20 2009:-

Former Bohs midfielder, Stephen O'Donnell, is on the brink of signing for newly promote Dundalk under his former Dalymount boss Sean Connor. Connor brought him from Falkirk to Dalymount where he was a member of the Bohs Double winning squad.

He actually did some pre-season training in Oriel Park at that time and Sean Connor had offered him terms.

Presumably Cork came in with a more lucrative offer (Okay -maybe there were other reasons, like the presence of Mental Mickey and the rest of the oddball crew)
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:15 pm

I don’t know why exactly but I’ve always thought that the captain should be a centre half or central midfielder. Maybe for no other reason than they’re best placed to be in the ref’s ear as required and they're not going miles out of position the few times there’s captainy stuff to do.

Martin Lawlor80
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:12 pm

Ezeikial wrote:
Jim Murphy wrote:Anyone remember this story that appeared in several national newspapers on Feb 20 2009:-

He actually did some pre-season training in Oriel Park at that time and Sean Connor had offered him terms.

Presumably Cork came in with a more lucrative offer (Okay -maybe there were other reasons, like the presence of Mental Mickey and the rest of the oddball crew)
Yep I remember that and the story was that Cork offered him a couple of hundred extra a week

bigalan
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by bigalan » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:48 am

Remember it well and feeling gutted we didnt sign him at the time, he was a class act long before his Rovers days. Maybe it was a blessing as it would have put him off signing a few years later!!!

bigalan
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by bigalan » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:29 am

On the next captain, Ill go for Garts. Wonderful season last year and a leader. This time last year, myself, and Im sure many others felt he was fourth choice CH. He ended the season as first in my opinion. To echo what was said earlier, I also always believed that a captain should be a CH or CM.

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:40 am

bigalan wrote:On the next captain, Ill go for Garts. Wonderful season last year and a leader. This time last year, myself, and Im sure many others felt he was fourth choice CH. He ended the season as first in my opinion. To echo what was said earlier, I also always believed that a captain should be a CH or CM.
I think he was first choice at this stage but a few games into the season everyone thought that Kenny was making a massive mistake bringing him back into the side as the other centre halves were playing so well. Gartland went on to have his best season for us to date
"This is not only a point to make headlines, it is the truth. Football on artificial turf is the future." - FIFA president Sepp Blatter

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:41 pm

bigalan wrote:On the next captain, Ill go for Garts. Wonderful season last year and a leader. This time last year, myself, and Im sure many others felt he was fourth choice CH. He ended the season as first in my opinion. To echo what was said earlier, I also always believed that a captain should be a CH or CM.
Good point Alan, centre half or a central MF, in our cases, we can look at Keely from the 79-81 side, then Tommy Mc as right full (another position I'd rate as a captain), Martin Lawlor also as left full come to think of it. James Coll 95 captain and league winner, Joey Malone before him in 88 then SOD for 3 of the 4 recent titles, I think even though he was official skipper in 2018, Gartand was the man.

Scott B for Celtic, Mick Mc in the best ever performance by an Ireland team, WC 1990 QF.

Gartland all day long it is.

gavinmclaughlin
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by gavinmclaughlin » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:33 am

From the horse's mouth. SOD even played in a friendly against Athlone but the move fell through. Check out SC's line about the George O'Callahgan rumours!! That was some season!!!

'DUNDALK manager Sean Connor has told The Dundalk Democrat that Stephen O'Donnell is set to become the sixth former Bohemians star to arrive at Oriel Park this pre-season.

The midfielder played with Dundalk in a behind closed doors game with Athlone in Dublin last Saturday and speaking on Tuesday, Connor stated that a deal was imminent.

“We have reached a deal to bring him here so hopefully he will put pen to paper in the next 24 hours. He's a good player. I brought him to Bohs from Falkirk and he did really well for me. He carried that on through last season as well. He doesn't give the ball away and he's a quality player. At the minute he is slightly behind with his fitness but he'll catch up”, he said.

O'Donnell is set to be the last new arrival before the league season begins with Connor adamant he is happy with his current crop of players. Connor also rubbished speculation that Dundalk were in talks with former Cork City star George O'Callaghan who was released from his contract at Tranmere last week.

“I know nothing about that one”, he said. “I've not spoken to George O'Callaghan or anybody connected to him. I think that might be just people jumping to conclusions."'