2019-20 UEFA Champions League

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Post Reply
Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 6397
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:00 am

Re: 2019-20 UEFA Champions League

Post by Ezeikial » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:06 am

Qarabag played Czech side Viktoria Plzeň in a friebdly that finished 2-2 yesterday

I think this is the match footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... wQ8Y51RaDQ


Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

User avatar
OHare
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 675
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:04 pm
Location: dundalk

Re: 2019-20 UEFA Champions League

Post by OHare » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:17 am

Eir sport just announced they are going to show the away leg Vs Riga. Kick off is at 5.30 Irish time.

They are also showing both Legs of Rovers Europa League tie against SK Brann & St Pats home leg against IFK

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 6397
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:00 am

Re: 2019-20 UEFA Champions League

Post by Ezeikial » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:01 pm

Dundalk focusing on Riga and 'massive game' for Ireland
https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2019/07 ... r-ireland/
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Shoco
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1317
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:46 pm

Re: 2019-20 UEFA Champions League

Post by Shoco » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:01 pm

Just looking at the prize money announced by Uefa yesterday, beating Riga next week is worth a total of 1.2M and a minimum of 120k extra by playing in champions league 2nd round compared to europa league second round, even entering the europa league 3rd round then is worth a further 20k than entering in the 2nd round.

Payment we receive but not winning any ties is 800k

Champions league qualifying rounds:
1st 280k
2nd 380K
3rd 480k

Europa league qualifing:
2nd 240k
3rd 260k
4th 280k

Failing to make champions league group stages: 260K

User avatar
El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 3218
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:33 pm

Re: 2019-20 UEFA Champions League

Post by El Paso » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:23 pm

If the Americans get us to the point where we can even get through a round every summer they'll be making profit on their investment soon enough.

Real simplistic fag packet calculation here, but if gate receipts, bar receipts, merchandise sales and sponsorship were to cover the playing and staff budget, then whatever is left from European money when the remaining expenses come out is their profit. If the owners can pull a dividend while maintaining or increasing the value of the club, then it's working well from them.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1780
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:24 pm

Re: 2019-20 UEFA Champions League

Post by oldfogey » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:22 pm

El Paso wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:23 pm
If the Americans get us to the point where we can even get through a round every summer they'll be making profit on their investment soon enough.

Real simplistic fag packet calculation here, but if gate receipts, bar receipts, merchandise sales and sponsorship were to cover the playing and staff budget, then whatever is left from European money when the remaining expenses come out is their profit. If the owners can pull a dividend while maintaining or increasing the value of the club, then it's working well from them.
I can guarantee you that the list you have above doesn't come close to covering the the squad and management payroll costs. The budget drawn up for each season will include any guaranteed prize money and related income/expenditure.

As we had won the league, the €800k prize money is automatically included, as is income and expenditure associated with 2 rounds in Europe. Licensing regs allow for minimum guaranteed prize money only(finishing last) and realistic other domestic income and expenditure.

User avatar
El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 3218
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:33 pm

Re: 2019-20 UEFA Champions League

Post by El Paso » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:20 pm

I thought our wage budget was 1.2 million.

I had League gate receipts of ~600,000 plus 110K for winning the League, and then the Cups and Europe gate receipts bringing it up to 900K. I figured the bar, merch sales and all the different sponsorships would bring the total to 1.2.

Crude guesswork all the way.

But now I see a figure of 1.9 million, inclusive of performance, for the team budgets. I assume the bonuses are dependent on European progress and winning the League. But still, we're now in a place where we must either win the League or get to a second round in the Europa League every year, just to be sure of breaking even.

I don't like that.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1780
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:24 pm

Re: 2019-20 UEFA Champions League

Post by oldfogey » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:08 pm

El Paso wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:20 pm
I thought our wage budget was 1.2 million.

I had League gate receipts of ~600,000 plus 110K for winning the League, and then the Cups and Europe gate receipts bringing it up to 900K. I figured the bar, merch sales and all the different sponsorships would bring the total to 1.2.

Crude guesswork all the way.

But now I see a figure of 1.9 million, inclusive of performance, for the team budgets. I assume the bonuses are dependent on European progress and winning the League. But still, we're now in a place where we must either win the League or get to a second round in the Europa League every year, just to be sure of breaking even.

I don't like that.
There's also a lot of other expense in running the club. Certainly north of €200k

User avatar
El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 3218
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:33 pm

Re: 2019-20 UEFA Champions League

Post by El Paso » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:40 pm

Absolutely, what I was doing originally was pretend ring-fencing. So that if matchday revenue, merch and sponsorship covered wages, and other expenses came from Europe money, then whatever was left would be profit.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 4084
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:27 pm

Re: 2019-20 UEFA Champions League

Post by dundalkfc1903 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:01 pm

When the bubble bursts it will be big.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 6397
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:00 am

Re: 2019-20 UEFA Champions League

Post by Ezeikial » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:25 pm

Enjoyable piece from James Rogers on the role of Noel Walsh and how he copes with the additional demands on kit for european matches

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/ar ... 92850.html
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

DundalkChampions
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 148
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:25 pm

Re: 2019-20 UEFA Champions League

Post by DundalkChampions » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:25 am

dundalkfc1903 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:01 pm
When the bubble bursts it will be big.
On 1st July you posted "8 points clear and yet to hit top form. More to come from this squad. Imagine if Pat and Fats start hitting top gear. Even Duffy is having a quieter season than last."

On 12th July after a 0-0 Draw "When the bubble bursts it will be big"

Whats changed in 12 days?

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 4084
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:27 pm

Re: 2019-20 UEFA Champions League

Post by dundalkfc1903 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:37 am

DundalkChampions wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:25 am
dundalkfc1903 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:01 pm
When the bubble bursts it will be big.
On 1st July you posted "8 points clear and yet to hit top form. More to come from this squad. Imagine if Pat and Fats start hitting top gear. Even Duffy is having a quieter season than last."

On 12th July after a 0-0 Draw "When the bubble bursts it will be big"

Whats changed in 12 days?
Not related posts. When the plug is pulled by the investors, which could be a long tíme, i imagine it will be quite spectacular. Full squad released etc.

Or of course we could make the group stages of the El a couple of times and this could go on forever!

User avatar
El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 3218
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:33 pm

Re: 2019-20 UEFA Champions League

Post by El Paso » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:51 am

Yep, it’s why money ‘invested’ in the playing squad worries me and why I’m glad they’re hanging tough over Hoban - it demonstrates some prudence, although obviously I hope that gets resolved.

Fact is if they ever pull the plug it will be because we’ve failed to qualify for Europe and we’ll be insolvent overnight.

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 2728
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:30 pm
Location: Dundalk

Re: 2019-20 UEFA Champions League

Post by colymull » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:40 am

I know this is posted somewhere else on here but what way are our next European fixtures? Are we playing again next week?

Post Reply