Riga V Dundalk | Weds 17 July | 5.30pm | Skonto Stadium | UEFA Champions League QFR1 Second Leg

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Riga V Dundalk | Weds 17 July | 5.30pm | Skonto Stadium | UEFA Champions League QFR1 Second Leg

Post by El Paso » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:34 pm

The only time we were exposed in that game was the couple of times we gave it away ourselves. Unless Riga have a couple of gears they hid last day it’s ours to throw away

Townfan7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Riga V Dundalk | Weds 17 July | 5.30pm | Skonto Stadium | UEFA Champions League QFR1 Second Leg

Post by Townfan7 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:02 pm

Really looking forward to Riga. The team, without been overly confident, should feel they are the better side. I’d agree with Massey to start but is Shields available? If not I’d like to see the defensive formation that finished the 1st. leg, Boyle looked so comfortable & Hoare equally so in front of the back four. Hopefully Gannon & Duffy can get up the flanks & this time with decent delivery there can be Hoban there to finish it off.

Wishing all travelling to Riga a safe & enjoyable trip.

Finally, on a different note, I’d like to congratulate BIG ALAN & his wife, many congratulations on his marriage on Friday last. Happiness & good health to you both.

C’MON THE TOWN:

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:45 pm

Townfan7 wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:02 pm
Really looking forward to Riga. The team, without been overly confident, should feel they are the better side. I’d agree with Massey to start but is Shields available? If not I’d like to see the defensive formation that finished the 1st. leg, Boyle looked so comfortable & Hoare equally so in front of the back four. Hopefully Gannon & Duffy can get up the flanks & this time with decent delivery there can be Hoban there to finish it off.

Wishing all travelling to Riga a safe & enjoyable trip.

Finally, on a different note, I’d like to congratulate BIG ALAN & his wife, many congratulations on his marriage on Friday last. Happiness & good health to you both.

C’MON THE TOWN:
According to John Gill, Chris was conscious thd whole time, it was just a nasty knock on the cheek. The doc felt it would be better to not take any chances. No concussion, so no protocol. Unless his cheek turned out to be fractured,he should be fine.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:43 pm

Can anyone say if Chris Shields trained today?
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:41 pm

I don't expect the club to reveal any details about player fitness ahead of Wednesday, in order to keep Riga guessing. I feel we should play the game too.

marvin
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by marvin » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:44 am

I seem to remember we felt like this before Larnaca.
Tomorrow is another day.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:04 am

Nah. I wasn’t at all confident about Larnaca. They played some nice ball in Oriel without much effort and the heat alone was always going to do us in the end there. Also we had that tough match against Bohs on the Sunday before too.

Dessie Gorman
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Dessie Gorman » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:26 am

I see Riga won 6-0 today in Latvian Cup, hopefully they arent riding too high in confidence Wednesday. In relation to Shields being conscious, most concussion sufferers are. You could see from the replay when he got up, he was spaced. It would be idiotic from a medical standpoint to put him back out second half.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:01 am

oldfogey wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:41 pm
I don't expect the club to reveal any details about player fitness ahead of Wednesday, in order to keep Riga guessing. I feel we should play the game too.
I was planning on putting my mortgage money and farm subsidy payment on a 2-0 win, but only if Ginger Pirlo was fit. Flights to Baku or bloody expensive you know

Could we labhar as gaeilge or would Google translate work in Latvian?
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:04 pm

Vinny Perth talking in Tallaghese to DFCTV at Dublin Airport

Is "1 or 2 changes" part of a bluff?

https://twitter.com/DundalkFC/status/11 ... 0373572608

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:21 pm

I’d be surprised if Massey didn’t start. Left wing was dysfunctional the other night.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:58 pm

There are probably quite a few places up for grabs and fitness will play a part in quite a few of the selections

Centre Back - Its probably two from Sean Hoare, Daniel Cleary and Andy Boyle, on the basis of the selections and substitutions in the first leg. There is obviously a possibility of Hoare moving into midfield which may make the decision more straightforward

Left Back - Jarvis or Massey. With two indifferent performances on the spin, it would not be a surprise if Dean Jarvis was replaced by Dane Massey on Wednesday

Midfield - Chris Shields is the big fitness question, followed closely by whether Robbie Benson is reckoned to be fit for 90 minutes. If all are match-ready, it would be reasonable to expect Shields to anchor the midfield with McGrath on the right, Benson at 8, Duffy on the left with McEleney in a more advance position. It's also possible that a fit Sean Murray could play a part. Daniel Kelly and John Mountney could complete for the right wing place if Benson was not fit enough

Centre Forward - While there might be some fans calling for a change up-front, it would be a major surprise if Patrick Hoban did not start, although it is possible that Georgie Kelly could be called upon at some stage.

If all are fit this is the starting eleven that I would expect

Rogers
Gannon | Hoare | Boyle | Massey
Shields | Benson
McGrath | McEleney | Duffy
Hoban

paul1
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by paul1 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:49 pm

We can’t seriously be considering Hoare in midfield if we are we have learned nothing from the massacre in Larnaca..

Sneachta
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Sneachta » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:28 pm

I'd be wary of playing McElaney if he is injured. He looked to have twinged something, very like Murray early in the season and both played on. Only making it worse

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Sneachta on Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:38 am

So Michael Duffy hasn’t travelled as his partner went into labour. He may yet go out but looks like we’re without him. Switch Dano Kelly over or go 4-3-3?