Dundalk V Finn Harps | Fri 16 Aug | 8pm | Oriel Park | Matchday 26

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Colin Gallagher, Duffman

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 7453
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:00 am

Dundalk V Finn Harps | Fri 16 Aug | 8pm | Oriel Park | Matchday 26

Post by Ezeikial » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:27 pm

This Finn Harps home match presumably is going ahead no matter the result against Slovan Bratislava - with any Europa League play-off first round match not scheduled until the following Thursday 22 August at Tallaght

The Dundalk website lists the kick off for the normal 7.45pm although both Airtricity League page and RTE Sport both have the kick off time for 8pm. As eir sport are broadcasting from 7.30pm to 10.30pm I suspect that the 8pm kick off is more likely

Obviously we are completely in control of our own destiny here, but with Shamrock Rovers away to Derry City, a win over Harps would leave the gap at between 7 and 10 points with a game in hand.

It's mad to think that it's May since we last had a Friday night game in Oriel Park!

EDIT - 8pm kick off now confirmed by the club
Last edited by Ezeikial on Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 7453
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:00 am

Re: Dundalk V Finn Harps | Fri 16 Aug | 8pm | Oriel Park | Matchday 26

Post by Ezeikial » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:09 pm

8pm kick off confirmed. Thread title amended
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

User avatar
seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 3032
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2002 12:35 pm
Location: D'Shed

Re: Dundalk V Finn Harps | Fri 16 Aug | 7.45pm | Oriel Park | Matchday 26

Post by seand » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:34 pm

El Paso wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:56 pm Yes and it’s strange that the attendances were poor in May given we were about to go so long without a home game.

Dunno how other clubs survive the lack of income. It has to change.
Poor attendances not helped by having FOUR home games in 12 days! The fixture list is beyond a joke, for all clubs

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 7453
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:00 am

Re: Dundalk V Finn Harps | Fri 16 Aug | 8pm | Oriel Park | Matchday 26

Post by Ezeikial » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:05 pm

Gavin McLaughlin
@DundalkSport
DFC | Dean Jarvis will resume training with Dundalk on Thursday. The full-back missed both legs of the Slovan Bratislava tie due to an 'internal issue' that has now been resolved. #DundalkSport
https://twitter.com/DundalkSport/status ... 4093044737

I presume that Gavin McLaughlin's tweet from yesterday has transpired into Dean Jarvis training today and that he will be in the squad for tomorrow.

Can anyone confirm that he trained today?
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 2996
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:30 pm
Location: Dundalk

Re: Dundalk V Finn Harps | Fri 16 Aug | 8pm | Oriel Park | Matchday 26

Post by colymull » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:02 pm

Pictures from today's training session with Jarvis in full attendance!!

https://twitter.com/DundalkFC/status/11 ... 12672?s=19

User avatar
seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 3032
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2002 12:35 pm
Location: D'Shed

Re: Dundalk V Finn Harps | Fri 16 Aug | 8pm | Oriel Park | Matchday 26

Post by seand » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:39 pm

It'll be interesting to see how we handle the squad over the next few weeks. I expect the Harps game will be a full strength team, allowing for injuries, but we'll see how we handle squad rotation in the next couple of months, which are going to be busy (especially if we progress in the cups). I wonder if there might be a little more focus on the cups than usual with Europe out of the way and the league in a good position.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 2245
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:24 pm

Re: Dundalk V Finn Harps | Fri 16 Aug | 8pm | Oriel Park | Matchday 26

Post by oldfogey » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:27 pm

seand wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:39 pm It'll be interesting to see how we handle the squad over the next few weeks. I expect the Harps game will be a full strength team, allowing for injuries, but we'll see how we handle squad rotation in the next couple of months, which are going to be busy (especially if we progress in the cups). I wonder if there might be a little more focus on the cups than usual with Europe out of the way and the league in a good position.
A back to back double would - in itself - be some achievement given the management changes, player injuries, and energy sapping trips. A treble would really be something. Am I right that we have never done it?

User avatar
condor
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1234
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:21 pm
Location: Co Armagh

Re: Dundalk V Finn Harps | Fri 16 Aug | 8pm | Oriel Park | Matchday 26

Post by condor » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:20 pm

So what's the word around the campfire regarding Jarvis and his "internal issues"?

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 7453
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:00 am

Re: Dundalk V Finn Harps | Fri 16 Aug | 8pm | Oriel Park | Matchday 26

Post by Ezeikial » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:22 pm

condor wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:20 pm So what's the word around the campfire regarding Jarvis and his "internal issues"?
Isn't it obvious from the training pics?
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

User avatar
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 7235
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:47 pm
Location: dundalk
Contact:

Re: Dundalk V Finn Harps | Fri 16 Aug | 8pm | Oriel Park | Matchday 26

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:31 pm

oldfogey wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:27 pm
seand wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:39 pm It'll be interesting to see how we handle the squad over the next few weeks. I expect the Harps game will be a full strength team, allowing for injuries, but we'll see how we handle squad rotation in the next couple of months, which are going to be busy (especially if we progress in the cups). I wonder if there might be a little more focus on the cups than usual with Europe out of the way and the league in a good position.
A back to back double would - in itself - be some achievement given the management changes, player injuries, and energy sapping trips. A treble would really be something. Am I right that we have never done it?
The only team to win the treble was the derry team of 1989.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

User avatar
condor
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1234
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:21 pm
Location: Co Armagh

Re: Dundalk V Finn Harps | Fri 16 Aug | 8pm | Oriel Park | Matchday 26

Post by condor » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:13 pm

Ezeikial wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:22 pm
condor wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:20 pm So what's the word around the campfire regarding Jarvis and his "internal issues"?
Isn't it obvious from the training pics?
Jaysus! sorry for asking and no I haven't seen any pics.

Sneachta
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1769
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:01 pm

Re: Dundalk V Finn Harps | Fri 16 Aug | 8pm | Oriel Park | Matchday 26

Post by Sneachta » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:39 pm

It's six posts above your current post condor.

I think Ezeikial might be inferring it's done and dusted.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk


Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 7453
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:00 am

Re: Dundalk V Finn Harps | Fri 16 Aug | 8pm | Oriel Park | Matchday 26

Post by Ezeikial » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:31 pm

condor wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:13 pm
Ezeikial wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:22 pm
condor wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:20 pm So what's the word around the campfire regarding Jarvis and his "internal issues"?
Isn't it obvious from the training pics?
Jaysus! sorry for asking and no I haven't seen any pics.
Apologies if I caused offence Condor, no harm intended
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

User avatar
seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 3032
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2002 12:35 pm
Location: D'Shed

Re: Dundalk V Finn Harps | Fri 16 Aug | 8pm | Oriel Park | Matchday 26

Post by seand » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:45 am

Derry are the only club to have won the current domestic treble of League-FAI Cup- League Cup, but as El Paso says it has been done before the League Cup started in 1973-74. Before that the Shield was the third competition and Bohs did the treble in 1928 and Rovers did it three times. Indeed Rovers won the League, FAI Cup, Shield, City Cup and Leinster Senior Cup in 1963-64 for a pentuple. The Top Four Cup was the only 'major' one they missed out on- beaten by Dundalk!

Dundalk also won a treble of sorts in 1966-67- League, Shield, Top Four Cup. And of course we won four trophies in 2015- League, FAI Cup, Leinster Senior Cup, Presidents Cup.

A reminder that we have the President's Cup in the bag and a potential cross-border cup to come if we win the league!

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 2245
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:24 pm

Re: Dundalk V Finn Harps | Fri 16 Aug | 8pm | Oriel Park | Matchday 26

Post by oldfogey » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:13 pm

seand wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:45 am Derry are the only club to have won the current domestic treble of League-FAI Cup- League Cup, but as El Paso says it has been done before the League Cup started in 1973-74. Before that the Shield was the third competition and Bohs did the treble in 1928 and Rovers did it three times. Indeed Rovers won the League, FAI Cup, Shield, City Cup and Leinster Senior Cup in 1963-64 for a pentuple. The Top Four Cup was the only 'major' one they missed out on- beaten by Dundalk!

Dundalk also won a treble of sorts in 1966-67- League, Shield, Top Four Cup. And of course we won four trophies in 2015- League, FAI Cup, Leinster Senior Cup, Presidents Cup.

A reminder that we have the President's Cup in the bag and a potential cross-border cup to come if we win the league!
I had put the Unite Cup out if my mind as - at the time of the announcement- Johnny Ward was paying out on the title going to Tallaght. Night game in Oriel, Bovril to warm your heart. Yes please.

On a side note, Linfield v Rangers next week. Talk about a "love in".

Post Reply