Sligo Rovers V Dundalk | Sun 29 Sept | 5pm | Showgrounds | FAI Cup Semi-final

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Colin Gallagher, Duffman

Post Reply
Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 7175
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:00 am

Re: Sligo Rovers V Dundalk | Sun 29 Sept | 5pm | Showgrounds | FAI Cup Semi-final

Post by Ezeikial » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:54 pm

Gary Rogers talking to Gerry Malone

https://twistedwave.com/audio_files/245 ... 16740d9c6c
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 7175
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:00 am

Re: Sligo Rovers V Dundalk | Sun 29 Sept | 5pm | Showgrounds | FAI Cup Semi-final

Post by Ezeikial » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:58 pm

Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 7175
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:00 am

Re: Sligo Rovers V Dundalk | Sun 29 Sept | 5pm | Showgrounds | FAI Cup Semi-final

Post by Ezeikial » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:53 pm

gavinmclaughlin wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:41 pm
Video diary from yesterday's FAI Cup semi-final at The Showgrounds.

Featuring contributions from:

Adrian Taaffe
Ciaran Culligan
Cork Tom
Sean Paul O’Shaughnessy
Gerry Malone
Michael Duffy
Vinny Perth
RTE

https://youtu.be/EPQkRSk5pM8

Full Vinny Perth interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cOxNtsd3yA
Thanks for that Gavin, but the last time you did a video diary we had to endure a copy-cat version that I have barely recovered from. The road from Blackrock never seemed so dark!
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

User avatar
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 6317
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:47 pm
Location: dundalk
Contact:

Re: Sligo Rovers V Dundalk | Sun 29 Sept | 5pm | Showgrounds | FAI Cup Semi-final

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:26 pm

El Paso wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:13 pm
McGrath hasn’t done as much as it looked like he might. Certainly doesn’t score enough. I had hopes for him as a number 8 but they’ve played McEleney there instead whenever Benson and Murray are out. He’s played out of position on the right of the three imo. Right now he’s most at risk of missing out on a starting cup final spot.
People see different things. I thought Jamie was outstanding on Sunday.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Blackandwhite10
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 99
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:08 am

Re: Sligo Rovers V Dundalk | Sun 29 Sept | 5pm | Showgrounds | FAI Cup Semi-final

Post by Blackandwhite10 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:56 pm

niall_hearty2000 wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:26 pm
El Paso wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:13 pm
McGrath hasn’t done as much as it looked like he might. Certainly doesn’t score enough. I had hopes for him as a number 8 but they’ve played McEleney there instead whenever Benson and Murray are out. He’s played out of position on the right of the three imo. Right now he’s most at risk of missing out on a starting cup final spot.
People see different things. I thought Jamie was outstanding on Sunday.
No doubt he's talented. But you can't argue with the fact he doesn't score or assist anywhere near enough for his position.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1889
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:24 pm

Re: Sligo Rovers V Dundalk | Sun 29 Sept | 5pm | Showgrounds | FAI Cup Semi-final

Post by oldfogey » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:16 pm

Blackandwhite10 wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:56 pm
niall_hearty2000 wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:26 pm
El Paso wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:13 pm
McGrath hasn’t done as much as it looked like he might. Certainly doesn’t score enough. I had hopes for him as a number 8 but they’ve played McEleney there instead whenever Benson and Murray are out. He’s played out of position on the right of the three imo. Right now he’s most at risk of missing out on a starting cup final spot.
People see different things. I thought Jamie was outstanding on Sunday.
No doubt he's talented. But you can't argue with the fact he doesn't score or assist anywhere near enough for his position.
I may be wrong but neither our 9s nor our 10s have scored many this season. We are 18 short of last years goals scored (85) with only 4 games left, and Rovers are 16 short of Cork's total (71). Seems to me that defences have generally strengthened while we have also spread the goals around more. Meanwhile 3 wins - or 2 wins and 2 draws - will still see us top last years points tally of 87.

Blackandwhite10
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 99
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:08 am

Re: Sligo Rovers V Dundalk | Sun 29 Sept | 5pm | Showgrounds | FAI Cup Semi-final

Post by Blackandwhite10 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:04 pm

Mcgrath and mceleny sitting on 2 league goals each. Surely they would be disappointed by that return on a personal level.

But that record points tally would be remarkable if achieved.

User avatar
seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 2885
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2002 12:35 pm
Location: D'Shed

Re: Sligo Rovers V Dundalk | Sun 29 Sept | 5pm | Showgrounds | FAI Cup Semi-final

Post by seand » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:09 pm

Blackandwhite10 wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:04 pm
Mcgrath and mceleny sitting on 2 league goals each. Surely they would be disappointed by that return on a personal level
Good point. Not a great return. But both have suffered from injury and it's been hard for any of McGrath, McEleney, Benson, Flores, Mountney, D Kelly, Murray to get a decent run of games. The sheer size and strength in depth of our squad got us through this season.
Just on the subject of assists, Hoban must be up there with Duffy at the very top of the league table for assists, even if his goals return is also disappointing.

User avatar
El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 3591
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:33 pm

Re: Sligo Rovers V Dundalk | Sun 29 Sept | 5pm | Showgrounds | FAI Cup Semi-final

Post by El Paso » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:49 pm

Injuries have taken their toll somewhat, as has the blanket defence we’ve faced in many games. Also we have quite deliberately and visibly tightened up at the back and maintaining shape seems to be a thing. I do think in a lot of games we’ve moved the ball a bit slowly which blunts the attack too.

Post Reply