2019 & 2020 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Colin Gallagher, Duffman

Martin Lawlor80
Reserves
Reserves

Re: 2019 & 2020 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:43 pm

Ezeikial wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:18 pm
El Paso wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:55 pm
Alan Cawley said we're 'sniffing around Greg Sloggett' on the RTE pod this evening.
From last weeks Derry Journal
Midfielder Greg Sloggett says he has a number of factors - on and off the pitch - to consider before deciding if he can commit his future to Derry City for next season.

The former UCD man, who is believed to be a target of treble chasers Dundalk, insisted he will take his time over the decision but stressed his immediate focus is securing a European spot with Derry City.
https://www.derryjournal.com/sport/foot ... -1-9087111

How good is this guy?
What age is he? Would he improve us over the next couple of seasons? I don’t remember anybody on here mentioning him when discussing LOI players who’d would improve us.
It would be great if we any new signings remain relatively fit for next season

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:11 pm

Martin Lawlor80 wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:43 pm
Ezeikial wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:18 pm
El Paso wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:55 pm
Alan Cawley said we're 'sniffing around Greg Sloggett' on the RTE pod this evening.
From last weeks Derry Journal
Midfielder Greg Sloggett says he has a number of factors - on and off the pitch - to consider before deciding if he can commit his future to Derry City for next season.

The former UCD man, who is believed to be a target of treble chasers Dundalk, insisted he will take his time over the decision but stressed his immediate focus is securing a European spot with Derry City.
https://www.derryjournal.com/sport/foot ... -1-9087111

How good is this guy?
What age is he? Would he improve us over the next couple of seasons? I don’t remember anybody on here mentioning him when discussing LOI players who’d would improve us.
It would be great if we any new signings remain relatively fit for next season

He is 23 years old and this is his first season in the premier division with Derry City having come from first division football with UCD last season.

He had a fine game for UCD against us in our 1-0 win at Oriel in last seasons FAI cup semi-final; while he has injured for the recent EA Sports Cup final, he had a good game for Derry against us in the FAI Cup this season, scoring for them in our 3-2 win. As far as I recall, he was solid rather than spectacular or dominant in the other games he played against us this season.

A strong and powerful defensive midfielder. I think he would have to make significant improvement to dislodge Chris Sheilds

https://www.extratime.ie/player/11117892/greg_sloggett/
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by seand » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:24 am

Players coming in don't necessarily have to be at a higher level than what we already have. They can improve and will improve at Dundalk with our professional set up. D Kelly, McGrath, Hoare, Cleary and Benson (for a start) weren't better than what we already had

Martin Lawlor80
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:14 pm

seand wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:24 am
Players coming in don't necessarily have to be at a higher level than what we already have. They can improve and will improve at Dundalk with our professional set up. D Kelly, McGrath, Hoare, Cleary and Benson (for a start) weren't better than what we already had
Yes I agree with this, that’s why I was asking his age.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:05 am

James Rogers
@jamesdundalk
Report in The Irish Daily Star today from @markmccadden that Burnley boss Sean Dyche is to attend the FAI Cup final next month to run the rule over Shamrock Rovers midfielder Jack Byrne and Dundalk right-back Sean Gannon
https://twitter.com/jamesdundalk/status ... 2600258560
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

grayzer75
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by grayzer75 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:48 am

Ezeikial wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:05 am
James Rogers
@jamesdundalk
Report in The Irish Daily Star today from @markmccadden that Burnley boss Sean Dyche is to attend the FAI Cup final next month to run the rule over Shamrock Rovers midfielder Jack Byrne and Dundalk right-back Sean Gannon
https://twitter.com/jamesdundalk/status ... 2600258560
He better hope Shieldsy lets Byrne out of his arse pocket ;-)

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:34 pm

Was reading a bit about how our 1993 cup final team had 8 lads over 30, and another thing about how Spurs are going backwards because their squad wasn’t refreshed enough.

I know we have a good age profile, but 9 lads that started the final last year are likely to start again this year, with only Garts having been replaced as such. Continuity is very important, but just wondering if it would be better to start next season with two or three new faces in the starting 11 even if it takes a few weeks to see it all click. Are we capable of being that patient?!

Keeper, left back, number 8 and number 9 seem the obvious spots to be looking at changes with a view to the next couple of years

Blackandwhite10
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Blackandwhite10 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:08 pm

Keeper-Rodgers maybe has a season left.
Leftbk- Massey getting on in age losing his attributes. Jarvis- clear fall out between himself and club with both looking to move on next season.
Dummigan - will want to leave to good to sit on the bench for another full season with gannon playing.
Garland - finds himself 4th choice maybe will want to leave.
Benson-also out of contract after a terrible year with injuries do the club look to replace I don't know.
A lot of rumours circling mcgrath to leave on a free to England at the end of the season.
Hoban-if he stays with the club I don't see us progressing in Europe bur losing him could affect us domestically, also g.kelly could possibly want to leave if he stays.

Interesting break awaits.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:17 pm

Even if Rogers stays another season we have to plan beyond him. That Slovan keeper showed how far off the modern keeper the LOI lads are. He was essentially the difference between the sides.

Gartland signed an extension. I think he accepts his role is now as back up, he’s 33. We have the required players in that role.

Massey might be prepared to move into a back up role too, he’s 32 next spring.

They may well view Dummigan as a potential starting left back. Alternatively they might cash in on him in January.

Think we might lose McGrath alright, although i know they’re hopeful he might stay. My personal opinion is that 4-3-3 would suit him better than our 4-2–3-1

Pepsi
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Pepsi » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:48 pm

Was thinking....would Gartland be the one to take over the role vacated by Skippy, maybe supported by John Gill until he settles into and gets familiar with the role???

As far as transfers go, I would like us to make 1 or 2 above LOI standard signings. I still havent given up hope of Flores nor Murray getting rid of their injury problems once they have a full off season and pre season behind them, Dummigan could do a midfield job I would imagine and is a player who could do with a break and full preseason. That would leave space for a striker...someone fast with an eye for goal, opposite of Kelly and Hoban who I believe will leave and maybe a backup for Shields.

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by seand » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:08 pm

Pepsi wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:48 pm
Was thinking....would Gartland be the one to take over the role vacated by Skippy, maybe supported by John Gill until he settles into and gets familiar with the role???

As far as transfers go, I would like us to make 1 or 2 above LOI standard signings. I still havent given up hope of Flores nor Murray getting rid of their injury problems once they have a full off season and pre season behind them, Dummigan could do a midfield job I would imagine and is a player who could do with a break and full preseason. That would leave space for a striker...someone fast with an eye for goal, opposite of Kelly and Hoban who I believe will leave and maybe a backup for Shields.
Wasn't O'Donnell opposition analyst? Not really a role a current player can transition too. I think he'd be a good fit for an incrementally increasing coaching role, if he fancies it.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:19 pm

I would not be at all surprised if any of Massey, Mountney or Gartland ended up leaving in the close season despite being in contract.

I would like to see Rogers, Hoban, Benson & McGrath all resign unless there are higher quality alternatives inbound

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:08 pm

Now that Gartland is married with a baby in town I don’t see him wanting to commute when he’ll still get 20 odd matches with us. Could see him becoming the strength and conditioning coach when he hangs up the boots and same with GAA clubs. Think that’s his qualification.

Vinny, and plenty more, seem to really rate Mountney. Personally I don’t think he has the game for Europe but he’s a valuable utility player.

paul1
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by paul1 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:09 pm

In my opinion McGrath has progressed very little if anything since he joined from Pats, and has zero chance of making it in England a lot better than him have went and failed. Think he will be here next year if not I wouldn’t worry to much about it.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:15 pm

paul1 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:09 pm
In my opinion McGrath has progressed very little if anything since he joined from Pats, and has zero chance of making it in England a lot better than him have went and failed. Think he will be here next year if not I wouldn’t worry to much about it.
Jamie McGrath has only shown glimpses of his potential. I doubt it is enough to get him a lucrative move cross channel, but he may be about to blossom - I hope he signs a new multiple year deal and stays at Oriel