2019 & 2020 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Colin Gallagher, Duffman

brodser
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: 2019 & 2020 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Post by brodser » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:03 am

Wow. Big move to 3rd from bottom St Mirren. Plenty of European football to look forward to. More money seems to be the only reason I can think of. Good luck to him anyway.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:53 am

Wonder if, in hindsight, should we have tried to sell him after we went out of Europe. With all the chatter about Hoban the silence around McGrath was deafening. The League was in the bag and even a small sum and the wages saved would have been something. I know clubs only had to wait til January, but many teams’ seasons are over in January.

Bogger
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Bogger » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:52 pm

Delighted to see someone who sees what I see,, never rated him few nice touches and flicks that where it stops.. won’t be hard to replace

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:10 pm

Bogger wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:52 pm
Delighted to see someone who sees what I see,, never rated him few nice touches and flicks that where it stops.. won’t be hard to replace
Don't see the fascination in knocking or slating a player who leaves us. What's the point? He didn't sign for a direct rival. Personally think he was a quality player but let's see can he progress across Channel. He won't be winning any titles at St. Mirren but if the money is right could be set up for life after football. And who realistically can knock the lad for that?
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Carrick_Road
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Carrick_Road » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:12 pm

https://www.dundalkdemocrat.ie/news/spo ... irmed.html

Wish him all the best, hope he hits the ground running.

Cant understand the move apart from perhaps more money. Two and a half year deal and perhaps getting relegated this season.

"The facilities here seem great and I'm looking forward to experiencing a match day at the stadium.'

Wonder was this a deciding factor in Dundalk or St Mirren lol

Will we see a new singing announced for us now that McGrath gone?

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:28 pm

El Paso wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:53 am
Wonder if, in hindsight, should we have tried to sell him after we went out of Europe. With all the chatter about Hoban the silence around McGrath was deafening. The League was in the bag and even a small sum and the wages saved would have been something. I know clubs only had to wait til January, but many teams’ seasons are over in January.
To be fair I may be missing something, but I don't follow your logic. Why would a club pay a transfer fee - and then wages - for someone they can't even register until January when they can wait and get him for free. McGrath is certainly not going to agree to a move as he gets a better signing on fee by waiting until his contract expires.

In reality, the only time we can complain is where a player wants a (reasonable) contract extension and the club does nothing. Robbie Benson refused to sign more than a one year deal because he wanted to ge able to assess his options at the end of every season. Hopefully this is now the last of the "one year" men, but even players who signed on a 2 or 2.5 year deal might refuse an extension if there is going to be a better offer in 12 months time. This will always be the case as we can't offer the kind of wages they are getting in the UK or Europe.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:21 pm

I was talking about the summer transfer windows. Scotland’s closed on 2 September, after we were out of Europe and were comfortably ahead in the League.

For a nominal fee they could have got the player early when they had something to play for. Ok they ‘saved’ that money by waiting til January, but they’re 3rd last now.

Pepsi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Pepsi » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:05 pm

The question is if they were after him in summer...or was he interested in signing a contract with another club back then. I get the impression that the lad sat back and knew what he was doing, club up until recently were not sure if he was leaving at all. I would assume he let his contract run down and then looked at what was on offer. I personally dont think the move is good for the lad but I am sure it was influenced by agent promises and money.

Wexford White
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Wexford White » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:17 pm

I believe he never achieved his full potential.
The Back of the Wall

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:58 pm

niall_hearty2000 wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:10 pm
Bogger wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:52 pm
Don't see the fascination in knocking or slating a player who leaves us. What's the point? He didn't sign for a direct rival. Personally think he was a quality player but let's see can he progress across Channel. He won't be winning any titles at St. Mirren but if the money is right could be set up for life after football. And who realistically can knock the lad for that?
100% spot on Niall, the big thing here is, he didn't go to Rovers or maybe Derry / Bohs. Overall the SPL is far better than LOI, like it or not folks, St Mirren may not be better than us, but they get multiple what we get for winning the league just for staying in the SPL, where TV money is decent. Plus he would have almost certainly have got a decent pay rise, maybe as much as 500 a week who knows. He'll also play in a decent ground every single week, and will have opportunity to play at Parkhead and Ibrox.

Good luck to the lad, he gave 3 great years, 2 leagues, 1 cup, and not forgetting his last goal, v Linfield.

PS, I didn't realise he signed same day as Vemmelund, how time flies.

Bogger
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Bogger » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:54 pm

[/quote]

Just giving my opinion on the player,I’d be saying the same if he stayed, not good enough for Dundalk , was never consistent, he’ll be easily replaced

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:26 pm

So according to tinder(!) we’ve signed a Mexican footballer called Chino!

Towelie
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Towelie » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:50 pm

El Paso wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:26 pm
So according to tinder(!) we’ve signed a Mexican footballer called Chino!
https://uicflames.com/sports/mens-socce ... perez/6321

There may be a bit of substance to this one. Someone on twitter has unearthed a fb post from his mam wishing him the best of luck on his trial for us.

Haha absolutely bonkers transfer it turns out to be true.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:08 am

He better hope his trial goes well before he’s drafted for World War 3.

Les's Fridge
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Les's Fridge » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:20 am

Always liked McGrath as a player though not sure if he truly realised his full potential at Oriel Park. Best of luck to him, he is better than a yo-yo SPFL club in my opinion.
The thoughts of playing Alloa next season instead of Champions League (albeit qualifiers!) surely didn't sway his decision!?

#HavinganagentforLeagueofIrelandplayersisanonsense