Dundalk V Derry City | Fri 14 Feb | 7.45pm | Oriel Park | Matchday 1

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Colin Gallagher, Duffman

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Re: Dundalk V Derry City | Fri 14 Feb | 7.45pm | Oriel Park | Matchday 1

Post by Ezeikial » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:05 am

There is no doubt that just over 3,000 attendance is poor considering all the factors - champions first outing, decent winter evening, good travelling support, attractive opposition, no competitive football for several months etc etc

Is it even remotely possible that poor spectator facilities, including the lack of cover and restricted sight lines of the pitch might have some impact?
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:08 am

On the football..... i though it was a thoroughly enjoyable match that we deserved to win, despite a fine performance from Derry City.

Tim Nilsen at centre forward looks a real find to me
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

GSBellew
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by GSBellew » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:29 am

It's conceivable that there were a few that decided suffering the wrath of a scorned significant other wasn't worth it.

Great start to get a win, even if it was nervy at times, that save from Rogers was fantastic.
Was there a clearance off the line too? Looked like a Derry player prevented them scoring.

Martin Lawlor80
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:51 am

Ezeikial wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:05 am
There is no doubt that just over 3,000 attendance is poor considering all the factors - champions first outing, decent winter evening, good travelling support, attractive opposition, no competitive football for several months etc etc

Is it even remotely possible that poor spectator facilities, including the lack of cover and restricted sight lines of the pitch might have some impact?
No.

A few years ago, just after we’d come up from 1st there was about 4K for the first home game....v Finn Harps

Once the league was won last year the attendances dropped off and were quite frankly a disgrace.
There was a major drop in support at the cup final in the Aviva ( national stadium ) in November. We’re victims of our own success now. Always been the same in Oriel, fair weather supporters always go back to their bar stools.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:02 am

niall_hearty2000 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:28 pm
Fats and Georgie didn't even make the bench. Strange that we don't have a striker on the bench yet we have 2 centre halves considering that apart from Mountney we had a full squad to pick from.
Small knocks for McEleney, Kelly, and Murray.

No doubt the debate will reopen about VP playing his cards close to his chest in terms of player availability. No point in making it easier for the opposition to plan against us.

Given the short time he has been with us I thought Smith showed good potential. No reason why we can't make it 3 from 3 against Shels and Cork.

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:21 am

Thought we did enough in the second half to deserve the win against a tough Derry side. Derry, Bohs and Pats are all stronger this year and are capable of taking points off both ourselves and Rovers so we need to be at our best when we play them.

Highlight of the night for me was Sloggett. Wasn't overly excited about signing him but he looks a fantastic signing. If he can keep it up the thoughts of losing Shields for a game or two wouldn't terrify me.

Flores looked great when he came on, Smith showed some nice touches too. Jury is still out on Patching, looked a bit lost when he came on but it was a debut and he came on in a frantic game where we were pushing for a win. Hopefully he gets some game time as he's very well thought of
"This is not only a point to make headlines, it is the truth. Football on artificial turf is the future." - FIFA president Sepp Blatter

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by colymull » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:23 am

I reckon Valentine's night definitely played a part in the attendance!!
On the football, I thought we played some lovely football against a decent Derry side who were quite defensive. I was really really impressed with Cammy Smith. Some really nice touches and passages of play. He has the potential to he one of the stand out players of the season.
As the subs were being made last night, I was thinking how strong our squad is this year. Flores, Patching and Sean Hoare coming on, 3 players that would be first on the team sheet at any other club. With a fully fit squad, Vinny will have a job on his hands keeping all of them happy!!

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:59 am

Martin Lawlor80 wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:51 am

No.

A few years ago, just after we’d come up from 1st there was about 4K for the first home game....v Finn Harps

Once the league was won last year the attendances dropped off and were quite frankly a disgrace.
There was a major drop in support at the cup final in the Aviva ( national stadium ) in November. We’re victims of our own success now. Always been the same in Oriel, fair weather supporters always go back to their bar stools.
Have you any thoughts on why this is the case?

What might be the missing ingredients?

Marketing can certainly be improved (welcome Aaron Lawless) and Valentines night only happens once a year ( missed opportunity for a Oriel Park Valentines match night promo aimed at partners).

Could it really be possible that you totally dismiss the poor stadium facilities (especially shortage of cover and poor sight lines) as having no relevance?
Last edited by Ezeikial on Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:19 am

My spot is usually either end of the Shed. The fact is you can’t see 1/3 of the pitch.

You can call people a disgrace all you want. Or if the selling point is a good team you can enable more people to see them play.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:23 am

There was a previous suggestion to have a protest about facilities by those attending the match - the reality is that protest is ongoing by those not attending

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:27 am

And the irony is the more attendances drop the more that fact will be used to justify doing nothing in a classic case of wrong headedness. 3,200 could look great in a few weeks.

Any time we have over 3k is an achievement in my book.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:32 am

Gary Rogers with Gerry Malone post-match

https://twistedwave.com/audio_files/281 ... 6710aca4c3

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:36 am

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:41 am

Martin Lawlor80
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:22 am

Ezeikial wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:59 am
Martin Lawlor80 wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:51 am

No.

Have you any thoughts on why this is the case?

What might be the missing ingredients?

Marketing can certainly be improved (welcome Aaron Lawless) and Valentines night only happens once a year ( missed opportunity for a Oriel Park Valentines match night promo aimed at partners).

Could it really be possible that you totally dismiss the poor stadium facilities (especially shortage of cover and poor sight lines) as having no relevance?
You asked the question and I gave an answer and made my point about the poor attendance at the cup final which has nothing to do with poor facilities and everything to do with casual fan apathy. I couldn’t be bothered carrying on this debate as yet again its just another thread hijacked about the facilities