2021 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Colin Gallagher, Duffman

Peak11
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: 2021 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Post by Peak11 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:19 pm

So maybe I was miles off base after all.

But then I read what he actually wrote and he didn't say it's "between us and rovers" and he didn't say "rovers are offering a long term contract". So it reads like it's a reaction to the rumours and still pretty much nothing.
Towell (29) is mulling over a return to Ireland with his family when his contract with big spending Salford City expires at the end of this English season.

The Dubliner is on the comeback trail from injury and is expected to return to full fitness within the next fortnight.

He is in the short-term plans of manager Richie Wellens so will be with Salford for the coming months barring a sudden change of plan.

However, both Rovers and Dundalk are alert to the possibility of signing Towell on a pre-contract arrangement.

Similar to recent negotiations that saw Sean Gannon and Sean Hoare move from Dundalk to Tallaght, Rovers are in a strong position because they are willing to put a long term contract on the table.
I mean, we're probably "alert to the possibility" of signing hundreds of players who are "mulling over" moves.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:37 pm

Towell is on insta saying any good estate agents in Blackrock. But I reckon firmly tongue in cheek. And Blackrock where? 😂
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Johnnybegood33
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Johnnybegood33 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:48 pm

Well spotted Niall , might be hopping a ball. 😀

Dillonman
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Dillonman » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:14 pm

niall_hearty2000 wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:10 pm
Dillonman wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:59 pm
Is the other English lad still with us or what's happening with him? Name escapes me and probably sums up his time with us when its hard to remember him! Didn't even get named in the Europa squad.
Will patching? Not confirmed but I think he is mó longer with us. BTW we had a 3rd English player in Nathan odouwa who also won't be returning next season.
Aye, patching, is he defo gone, he was on a 2 year deal so we would of had to pay him off too.
Drogs are scum!

Hull White
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Hull White » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:57 pm

Peak11 wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:23 pm
niall_hearty2000 wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:27 pm
Peak11 wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:26 pm
Jordan obviously loves a club with a bit of drama - Wigan, then us, now Hull. Maybe leaving us for someone else's shitshow is a good sign that things are settling down!
Not sure of the shit show you're referring to, but they are currently 2nd in league 1. And he is about 2 hrs from his hometown.
You should read up on it - it's bonkers. 'Second in League 1' sounds ok if you forget how they were a Premier League club four seasons ago and got relegated to League 1 last season after losing 8-0 to Luton Town.

Unfortunately, Hull City are owned by an Egyptian tool who as nut jobs go is probably on a par with Old Bill! The owner is asset stripping the club but Grant McCann is doing quite well with a team made up of kids, locals and has beens. I hope Flres does well as I thought he had the makings of a player. He did well for us in the cup final and in some other games so I wish him well. Will probably watch him when this madness ends.

Peak11
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Peak11 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:38 am

James Rogers has us linked with Sam Stanton who never quite made it at Hibs but would be a good signing.

Hopefully the American under-19 keeper mentioned is only a tick the box to keep the owners happy, because having to go to America for a youths/third keeper is daft.

Carrick_Road
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Carrick_Road » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:29 am

Anyone any knowledge on Sam Stanton?

Going off the internet (which you cant exactly rely on) but he looks like a decent player

Peak11
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Peak11 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:42 am

Carrick_Road wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:29 am
Anyone any knowledge on Sam Stanton?

Going off the internet (which you cant exactly rely on) but he looks like a decent player
He was fast tracked into Hibs' first team from their youths and was a regular for two seasons but Neil Lennon shipped him out. He was then a regular for Dundee United at the top end of the Championship but they released a few players this time last year.

Hull White
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Hull White » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:33 am

I think that he is either the son or Nephew of Pat Stanton, the former Captain of Hibs and Scotland from the 60's and 70's. He was an extremely good player and if the young un has inherited any of his genes he could be a good one at this level.

Hull White
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Hull White » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:41 am

Hull White wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:33 am
I think that he is either the son or Nephew of Pat Stanton, the former Captain of Hibs and Scotland from the 60's and 70's. He was an extremely good player and if the young un has inherited any of his genes he could be a good one at this level.
I have just been informed by brighter son that they are not related but that the lad is a good player who should do well for us and at 26 is worth a shot. Number 8 type of player we have been seeking. Early days but JM might be making his mark. Hopefully, they all come off although I am a bit worried about the keeper. His record so far seems to be of a lad who goes somewhere does well initially, is found out and moves on.

Robbiedundalk2
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Robbiedundalk2 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:20 pm

Anyone keeping track of how many players have left? Interesting though only 2 from cup final starting 11 which had Murray and Hoban injured

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by seand » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:20 am

So Flores gone to Hull, sitting second in League One. Guess they do their scouting on youtube. Good luck to him, there may be a footballer in there if he can stay fit, and we all know the bit of magic thats in there too

Hull White
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Hull White » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:13 am

Hull City have two Irish scouts based in Ireland. They have had a lot of Irish players in the past including Lenihan, Meyler, Damien Delaney, Stuart Elliott(ex Glentoran). They currently have a couple of Irish lads in the academy and were in for Horgan and Boyle before they opted for Preston. I know Flores is from Wigan originally but he was watched lots of times by the Irish based scouts and said as much on his interview on Radio Humberside last night. The manager, Grant McCann is also a former Northern Ireland international who indicated that he had been looking for players in Ireland and Scotland due to budget restrictions imposed by the owners. He also said that he was looking for a left footed player who could give him balance on the left of midfield. They also have Magennis the Northern Ireland striker up front. The owner sold Jarrod Bowen to West Ham last January and pocketed the £22m fee before replacing him with an inexperienced kid who wasn't ready as well as selling Grosicki to West Brom. Bowen was the best player in the Cnhampionship at the time and Hull fell from a play off place to relegation after he left. The owner makes Buffalo Bill look like a Saint. I hope Flores does well as like Seand, I think there is the makings of a decent player there. Older Dundalk fans will remember a goalkeeper called Maurice Swan who signed from Hull City in the 70's having won the old 3rd division title with them. He is still remembered fondly in Hull.

Pepsi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Pepsi » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:17 pm

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:18 pm

seand wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:20 am
So Flores gone to Hull, sitting second in League One. Guess they do their scouting on youtube. Good luck to him, there may be a footballer in there if he can stay fit, and we all know the bit of magic thats in there too
While there was no doubting his potential had he stayed fit, and to be fair he was excellent in ET in the cup final, and scored 2 EL group stage goals, he really should have shown us more over the 2 years I feel.

We took a huge chance on him, given his injuries and gave him a real chance to re-start his career, of which we really only saw glimpses.

I read this yesterday, not sure if its true or not, it seems bizarre, over the 2 years he played a full 90 mins only 5 times, now that doesn't mean he started 5 games, it meant on those he did, he wasn't taken off.

Some move for him.