Podcasts

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Colin Gallagher, Duffman

Dundalk Wolf
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Podcasts

Post by Dundalk Wolf » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:17 pm

DanielSexton wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:36 am
niall_hearty2000 wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:33 pm
Louth4sam wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:32 pm For some it's easier to play McDonnell as a villain with an agenda than admit the uncomfortable truth.

I think a lot of fans, myself included were duped by Peak6. There was an expectation that they would bring a professionalism to the league that was unheard of, if anything it has been the polar opposite. It's incredibly frustrating as the foundations were there to dominate for years.
Not at all L4S we all know the situation we aren't blind or stupid to it, but he takes great joy in his over the top reporting of it. Would he do the same if it was rovers? I very much doubt it.
I logged on to see what people made of the pod. I know Dan a wee bit since back when he set up Oriel Web and send him the odd message. For what it's worth he takes no joy at all in what's happening. He's as annoyed and frustrated as most of the rest of us and that came through in that interview I think. Even if he wasn't a Dundalk fan, nobody who wants the League to thrive is enjoying seeing a club that was setting all the standards on the pitch throw it all away like we have done. I'm not even sure what's supposed to be over the top about his reporting. Our collapse in the League over the last 12 months is stunning and if Rovers were to repeat it and be in 9th position this time next year on a 4 million euro budget or whatever it is then they'd be getting slaughtered too.
100%. Dan's just doing his job. He's paid to report on football news and, for the last 7-8 years, Dundalk have been *the* news story in the LOI. Sadly, never more so than the last 18 months, mostly for the wrong reasons.

Since Bill took the reins, the club has gone from nearly winning every trophy available and on the verge of domestic domination (regular European group stages were within touching distance) to what looks like a relegation six-pointer this weekend and praying for a decent draw in the FAI Cup tonight in the hope of salvaging European football for another season. If that's not news, I don't know what is... and that's before you get onto all the madness going on behind the scenes in the last 18 months.

Anyone who listens to the podcast will hear Dan's frustration is obvious. If you want the league to be a success, who wouldn't be frustrated?

southerncomfort
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by southerncomfort » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:37 pm

Well ,. The first pod I listened to this week is Conan and cons LOI Arena .. expecting to hear some positive coverage . Especially given its the only game to cover in the premier . Instead , taking centre stage is winging about the pitch and fan fireworks .
Valid issues , but pathetic that journalists who've been cashing in on our downfall for material are so light in their coverage when we have a good spell , and beat the champions . It feels like they resent that they don't have a ten min segment on the Dundalk downfall .
Not checked in on our own pods for a while - wonder how they're handling the upturn ... Surely they're not getting on to old (as In previous) irelevant managers to stir fans against owners / management .... Let's see . Feel bad - they'll probably have to cut LOI weekly short this week
Last edited by southerncomfort on Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bob Prole
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Bob Prole » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:14 pm

southerncomfort wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:37 pm Surely they're not getting on to old irelevant managers to stir fans against owners / management ....
Wow.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:34 pm

Dan McDonnell's silence is deafening.. You can say what you like about him being in Baku, but if there was a negative angle then you can bet he would have been all over it. Then again you aren't allowed say anything negative about him on here.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Richie87
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Richie87 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:09 pm

He said where club has been in recent years, a result going from 8th to 6th and players leaving isn't a thing to celebrate. https://t.co/P6nun6dacQ?amp=1

southerncomfort
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by southerncomfort » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:47 pm

Dan just doubling down to wind critics up , quite funny to be fair to him.
Albeit if you're a serious LOI journo and you can't raise a few comments about the former champions beating the current champions in an upset , not exactly journalism.
Which is a shame because this week's Podcast episode is unbelievably good (long form!) Journalism , Dan/Johnny clearly top class

Dan declared that Patching is ( almost ) essentially signed up already to Derry . Patching loss would be the biggest loss . If we can't keep patching ( no Derry connections ) very very worrying and P6 will need to explain

Fwats
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Fwats » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:26 am

It was a great episode. So interesting to hear manager and player speak so candidly and on the same call about their experience together. Dan is right. It's an unmitigated disaster what is happening to the club and one win against rovers doesn't change that. It only emphasizes what might have been.

southerncomfort
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by southerncomfort » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:08 am

good stuff from the press box as per usual .
I remain baffled why the rogers runs defence so forcefully for jm , and digs at vp so much. vp has been very pro p6 but thats understandable given his position.
The only logic I can arrive at is jm gives lots of tip offs to him and vp doesn't ? If we are having a new regime in place for next season - any questions of 'access/tip offs for good coverage' whether conscious or unconscious by those covering the club via podcast or journalism are poor form and coverage of our team should not be clouded by whatsapp tippoffs etc. jm has had a difficult job obviously , but a google search ( links below ) shows he's no stranger to controversy and defending himself etc. he's had a tough time being over ruled presumably by bill etc ( after a 5-1 defeat to Bohs ) ..... but if there's some sort of internal power struggle going on , its not for our journalist t be taking sides anyway.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-a ... -1.2957936

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... -suspended

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-38808041

southerncomfort
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by southerncomfort » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:43 pm

V good 'men who saved football' pod this week. Informed stuff as per usual ....

Carrick_Road
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Carrick_Road » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:27 pm

The press box is very good this week. Have a listen

Towelie
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Towelie » Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:58 pm

Carrick_Road wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:27 pm The press box is very good this week. Have a listen
It was v good. Dying to know what happened with Norton and the medical staff but I'm sure we'll find out in the next few days. Rogers interview with Houdini should be a good listen as well.