Cork City V Dundalk | Fri 27 Apr | 7:15pm | Turners Cross

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Cork City V Dundalk | Fri 27 Apr | 7:15pm | Turners Cross

Postby Ezeikial » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:33 pm

A huge game that could have a big bearing on the destination of the league title

Both teams are struggling for consistency although I suspect that Dundalk are playing the better football recently.

Although it is live on RTE2, I suspect we will still have a decent traveling support, despite the earlier kick off time

Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Re: Cork City V Dundalk | Fri 27 Apr | 7:15pm | Turners Cross

Postby mike » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:15 pm

Id be putting Chris Shields right back into the midfield, his work rate is a significant factor allowing others to do their jobs, perfect example 3rd goal v Limerick, their right full doing step overs, Shields, I’ll be having this, quick pass to McGrath to Duffy and back of the net.

I’d keep the same back four, but it’s time to fit Murray into the starting xi, if we are on form we will win this match.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:34 pm

mike wrote:I’d keep the same back four, but it’s time to fit Murray into the starting xi, if we are on form we will win this match.

If Murray did not come in from the bench against Derry, he is unlikely to start next week

Only obvious change is Shields for Skip
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:31 pm

DUFFY CONFIDENT OF REMAINING UNBEATEN AT TURNER'S CROSS

On the 9th of March, Dundalk finally got the better over Cork City in a tense affair in Oriel Park, Duffy’s focus is now on Turners cross and knows the importance of that win in March is going into next weeks game.

“Last year we didn’t beat them at all so we got the better of them this year in the first game and we are in great form, we didn’t win tonight but we are unbeaten so we will go in there confident.

“We broke it here this year because they beat us down here as well so we are in good form and go down there and get the win as well.”

http://www.sseairtricityleague.ie/news/ ... ss/id-1542

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:57 pm

Cork play Waterford on Monday night in the EA Sports Cup in the RSC, although there is likely to be very little learned from this match.

Gary Buckley is back from suspension and therefore is likely to play some part to build his fitness. It seems that there is a strong possibility that Caulfield will want to play him as a defensive No 10 on Friday, if he is fit enough.

Alan Bennett hasn't played a competitive match in a long time. In the unlikely event that he is fit enough he could play against Waterford and put himself in the frame for the league game - but I think it unlikely that he will play on Friday even though Cork badly need him to counter the strong physical threat from Patrick Hoban

Stephen Beattie is also back from suspension in time for Friday night, but as he hasn't played in some time (from even before his suspension) so he will hardly feature in the starting line-up. Colm Horgan played there against Bohs

It is even possible that he could also take Jimmy Keohane into the start line up on Friday at the expense of Sheppard

It seems to me that Cork will have lots of weaknesses to be exploited on Friday

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:43 pm

Guy at my work, big Bohs fan, was up at the 3-0 win a few weeks ago, said there is no question who is the better side between the two, mentioned Cork as being workmanlike but with no style. He said he was very impressed anytime he saw Dundalk this season.

He might have changed his opinion if he saw the second half v Derry mind.

Maybe Murray might not start in Cork, probably fair point given he wasn't even used as a sub (bizarre imo) v Derry, but he should have some part to play, it's an excellent match to reintroduce him to.

We will need to 'get at them' just like we did in March and from the start, if we can do that and use the wings better, we will have a great chance of winning.

Quayman
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Quayman » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:49 pm

Cork went the full 120 minutes and then pens with Waterford tonite. Only first teamers to start were sadlier and keohane. Cummins and mcnamee came on. They lost on pens
Neale Fenn....SCUM

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:01 pm

Good few first team on the bench though, and still a late night getting home. I think Barry also started, he's been in and out of the first team.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:15 pm

Quayman wrote:Cork went the full 120 minutes and then pens with Waterford tonite. Only first teamers to start were sadlier and keohane. Cummins and mcnamee came on. They lost on pens

Gary Buckley and Aaron Barry are the other potential starters who also played the full 120 minutes along with Sadlier and Keohane that you mentioned, while Sean McLoughlin played for 90 minutes after coming on as sub fairly early in the match.

Equally interesting is that Alan Bennett did not even make the bench despite Caulfield signalling his likely availability again today. It must be very unlikely that he will be sufficiently fit to start on Friday, although Caulfield could be panicked into taking a risk on him.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:03 am

The key will definitely be to work our socks off from the start like we did in Oriel. Hoban needs to set the tone for the rest. Too many of these games we've let them take the initiative and build up a head of steam. Expect to hear a lot of projection from Caulfield this weak about pressuring the ref and so on. Hopefully the match officials will be a step above inept for once.

They're strong in midfield but weak at the back. As much as they miss Maguire they have missed Delaney too. We need to take advantage. I watched the match in Dalymount. They played alright until they scored early, then did nothing for the rest of the match. First goal could settle it.
There's only one word for that - magic darts...

magarnagle
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby magarnagle » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:09 pm

I don't think how Cork have performed in recent games will have much barring on Friday. They will be raring to go, will want to avenge their defeat in Oriel and will want to be the first team to beat us this season. As El Paso said we need to top their work rate and intensity, after that our quality will shine through.

We cannot afford to make the mistakes we made against Derry. The second goal looked even worse on SR. Shields has to come back in for me

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:11 pm

John Caulfield Press Conference Pre- Dundalk 24.04.18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIhcYbi ... e=youtu.be

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:18 pm

Gearoid Morrissey Press Conference Pre - Dundalk 24.04.18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjpT9GFtHa4

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:58 pm

I think not having Maguire means Cork had to completely change they way they are set up, his goals are an obvious miss but for me another player who left is significant and one who tortured us at times, Dooley. I was very glad to se him move on, as Gannon was restricted in what he could do when he was up against him.

Shields has to come back in, which probably leaves two open positions, right side of MF and who plays behind Hoban on the no 10 role. I'd still be looking at playing Murray as the ten, even though he didn't come on last week, would love to see him come on at some stage, but I'd say he might continue with Mountney on the right and McGrath as the ten.

We need to get into them from the first minute. Let them know they are in a game.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:34 pm

mike wrote:Shields has to come back in, which probably leaves two open positions, right side of MF and who plays behind Hoban on the no 10 role. I'd still be looking at playing Murray as the ten, even though he didn't come on last week, would love to see him come on at some stage, but I'd say he might continue with Mountney on the right and McGrath as the ten.

We need to get into them from the first minute. Let them know they are in a game.

SK can be unpredictable when it comes to team selections, but it would be a major surprise if he did not recall Shields in place of O'Donnell

His reluctance to make changes means that McGrath and Mountney are favourites to start. If he considered a change at number 10 it would probably mean McGrath moving to the right side. I think Adorjan is a more likely starter than Murray in this scenario, but I still doubt that he will select either Adorjan or Murray to start.

Return to “General Discussion”