Dundalk V St Patricks Ath | Mon 30 Apr | 7.45 | Oriel Park

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Dundalk V St Patricks Ath | Mon 30 Apr | 7.45 | Oriel Park

Postby Ezeikial » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:33 am

Perhaps it is normal for fans, players and management to feel a little deflated after losing to title rivals, but the positive side is that the next league match comes up quickly allowing everyone the opportunity to blow out that performance and result quickly.

St Pats are no pushovers, but SK has a track record of getting his teams motivated to respond well to adversity.

Ultimately its all about our results and we need 3 points - it remains to be seen if Rovers have enough to cause Cork problems in Tallaght. It is not impossible to be back at the top on Monday night

Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Dundalk V St Patricks Ath | Mon 30 Apr | 7.45 | Oriel Park

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:43 am

I feel SK is still searching for his best 11. Is Benson and Shields really our best midfield duo? Who compliments and supports Hoban best. Is it a classic number 10 like Adorján, or Murray who gets in and around him and joins him in a two.
Who is the best on the right, is it the more direct Mountney or the more skilful McGrath.

Its a pity Chevdukas can't seem to get himself fit. We are so pedestrian at times and lacking someone who really drives on the team.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:37 pm

It feels like we’ve been stuck in second gear for a while now. Three halves of football against Derry and Cork and very little created. Pats are good and i’m A bit worried about it. Benson is turning into this year’s McEleney - motm some weeks, then going missing when we really need him. Don’t want to call it must win, but it kind of is.
There's only one word for that - magic darts...

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:09 pm

We've lost one game, and in a match we definitely deserved a draw in, but we weren't good enough up front, and if you don't score you can't have too many complaints, so we just need to take our medicine and move on.

Quick chance to get back on track on Monday night, and remember Cork are away to Rovers, who surely have to win a game at some point.

We are second due to the the 3 drawn games, not just because of last night, it's one win each for both us and Cork, we just need to keep with them and take the next opportunity to go back on top.

Disappointing result but it's not the end of the world, plenty of football left to be played.

Martin Lawlor80
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Martin Lawlor80 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:58 pm

I really wouldn’t be holding my breath waiting on Rovers getting anything against cork

Robbiedundalk2
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Robbiedundalk2 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:03 pm

We will beat Pats and Rovers will beat Cork. Cork performance was below average for us this season. Best team I have seen was Rovers. Results don’t always tell the full story. We all have to remain very positive and keep behind the manager and team

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:43 pm

We don't need to be pinning our hopes on Rovers beating Cork, although the obvious positive possibility is that we could be back at the top of the table if the results go our way on Monday.

Our hopes and energies have to be focused on our own performance and result. If we are winning our own games, the other results will look after themselves, sooner or later.

3 points and a positive, morale boosting performance to go with it is what we need on Monday
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:37 pm

I totally agree we need to be focusing on our own results, and on that we really need to start stringing some decent wins together. The bare facts are though we have collected 1 point in the last 2 weeks and that's not good.

Next game always the most important, 3 points on Monday night please. I'd lie to see Murray start this one.

Martin Lawlor80
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Martin Lawlor80 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:38 pm

Ezeikial wrote:We don't need to be pinning our hopes on Rovers beating Cork, although the obvious positive possibility is that we could be back at the top of the table if the results go our way on Monday.

Our hopes and energies have to be focused on our own performance and result. If we are winning our own games, the other results will look after themselves, sooner or later.

3 points and a positive, morale boosting performance to go with it is what we need on Monday

Yep I’d agree with this. Pity half the stand spend their time on their phones checking the other results and telling all around them.
I think adjoran needs to start and hopefully will get a good run. His touches could have opened the game up last night. Him and Murray maybe.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:37 am

Martin Lawlor80 wrote:I think adjoran needs to start and hopefully will get a good run. His touches could have opened the game up last night. Him and Murray maybe.

Its hard to see SK accommodating both Adorjan and Murray with his current formation. Unless injured, or in dire need of a rest, Pat Hoban and Michael Duffy are certain starters so Murray could only feature at no 10 or on the right wing. Playing them both would mean Adorjan at 10 and Murray on the right with McGrath and Mountney standing down. Maybe in the wake of a number of disappointing performances he might be tempted to depart from habit and make some radical changes

I'd say its a straight battle between Adorjan, Murray and McGrath for the no 10 spot.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:44 am

The right back position is an interesting unusual challenge for SK, assuming that Sean Gannon is unavailable.He has lots of options, though not necessarily all attractive ones.

Georgie Poynton will be hoping that he is top of the list, although he could stick with Sean Hoare there and brink in Stephen Folan or Brian Gartland at centre back. Dean Jarvis is also an option, although I dont know if he has played that position previously.

He could also choose to play John Mountney there with McGrath ahead of him on the right side and either Adorjan or Murray coming in to the vacant no 10 place. A further option would be to play Chris Shields there and for Skip to step in to midfield.

Poynton, Hoare, Jarvis, Mountney or Shields?

What do you think SK should do & what do you think he will do?

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:51 am

Hoare is not an attacking wingback his crosses were very poor in cork. If gannon is injured I would play poynton at fullback with Mountney on the wing to add extra defensively.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Townfan7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Townfan7 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:46 am

Should Gannon not be available, Poynton would be my preferred option for right full. This would leave the the remaining back line undisturbed however, Massey needs to get his mojo back quickly, recent games I feel he has struggled at times.

Anyway, I'm only interested in what happens in Oriel Monday night, 3 points for Dundalk please.

C'MON THE TOWN:

Robbiedundalk2
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Robbiedundalk2 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:44 pm

Gannon out with 2 fractured ribs for 4-6 weeks. My preference is to play skip at right back, he is good enough but Sean will be missed, he is a winner and technically very good

Robbiedundalk2
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Robbiedundalk2 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:58 pm

Geno Lawless made the move from Centre mid to right back and he was fantastic and great going forward

Return to “General Discussion”