Graham Byrne

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

OHare
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Graham Byrne

Postby OHare » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:39 pm

Reports Graham Byrne has left the club
https://www.dundalkdemocrat.ie/news/nat ... -club.html

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Graham Byrne

Postby El Paso » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:43 pm

Adding two and two and getting five I know, but there was all that stuff about how unfit our second 11 were at Pat's in the League Cup.

Hopefully amicable - maybe he was spreading himself too thinly for our needs?

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:47 pm

Liam Burns was doing a bit of the half time stuff tonight. Would be a big loss to the backroom team but probably replaceable. Seemed like a popular lad.

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby colymull » Tue May 01, 2018 7:16 am

There’s no doubt he contributed greatly to our recent success, however it’s not a huge loss. A decent gym instructor/nutritionist could slot in easily enough. Anyway best of luck to him in his next roll.
King Kenny!

Shoco
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Shoco » Tue May 01, 2018 9:13 am

I believe he was only doing one day a week as it was for quite some time.

I just hope he doesn't end up at another club.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Tue May 01, 2018 9:44 am

colymull wrote:There’s no doubt he contributed greatly to our recent success, however it’s not a huge loss. A decent gym instructor/nutritionist could slot in easily enough. Anyway best of luck to him in his next roll.

Well a gym instructor wouldn't be qualified to be a strength and conditioning coach for a professional sports team. He's not in there doing spinning and Zumba classes.
Nutritionist is(should be) a completely separate role..

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby White Horse » Tue May 01, 2018 10:08 am

I suspect this is a fallout from the move to training in the mornings. It is also obvious that there have been a number of fitness related issues, particularly in relation to those players not playing every week (or twice per week). A big full time squad needs a full time fitness and conditioning coach.

Fitness and conditioning went up several notches under Graham Byrne. It looks like it needs to step up again.

Best of luck to Graham and a big thank you for his terrific contribution to our success.

Edit: departure confirmed
http://www.dundalkfc.com/byrne-departs/

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Tue May 01, 2018 8:54 pm

Dundalk FC can confirm that Graham Byrne, the Club’s strength and conditioning coach has left Oriel Park to explore new opportunities.

Fairly bland explanation, but if there was some type of a fallout, it's probably not in anyone's interest to declare the specifics. Maybe a change could freshen up the whole S & C aspect of the club.

No doubt that Graham Byrne played a really significant role in setting new benchmarks for League of Ireland players.
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Ridleys regular
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Ridleys regular » Wed May 02, 2018 4:54 am

He must have seen a slice of white bread hanging around the op dressing rooms :-)

Fair play to GB,he rocked into Dundalk with a new idea about nutrition and fitness and health about a month before everyone else did.
He's not the huge loss everyone thinks he'll be!
I belly flopped the skinny egit one night when he was on a rant about the fat expenditure involved v the lack of nutritional value in going on a rant on OrielWeb!!

He's very replaceable.But Q the usual knee-jerkers.

grayzer
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby grayzer » Wed May 02, 2018 10:27 am

Ridleys regular wrote:He must have seen a slice of white bread hanging around the op dressing rooms :-)

Fair play to GB,he rocked into Dundalk with a new idea about nutrition and fitness and health about a month before everyone else did.
I belly flopped the skinny egit one night when he was on a rant about the fat expenditure involved v the lack of nutritional value in going on a rant on OrielWeb!!

Agree 100% - He did his job but strolled around the town FKW as if he was a rockstar and the sole reason behind our recent success. He'll not be missed too much.
In Kenny we trust.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Wed May 02, 2018 1:02 pm

Not sure what Graham byrne has done wrong to deserve personal insults being slung at him?

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dundalkfc1903 » Wed May 02, 2018 1:05 pm

Ridleys regular wrote:I belly flopped the skinny egit one night when he was on a rant about the fat expenditure involved v the lack of nutritional value in going on a rant on OrielWeb!!

In a forum filled with its fair share of bizarre posts, this is right up there with the best of them.

Sneachta
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: RE: Re: Graham Byrne

Postby Sneachta » Wed May 02, 2018 3:54 pm

grayzer wrote:
Ridleys regular wrote:He must have seen a slice of white bread hanging around the op dressing rooms :-)

Agree 100% - He did his job but strolled around the town FKW as if he was a rockstar and the sole reason behind our recent success. He'll not be missed too much.
The guy was highly qualified with a BSc in sport science and I'm sure additional strength and conditioning qualifications.

No gym instructor or toothiologist (nutritionist) would come close to his professional qualifications. He obviously did a great job for the players and club.

The replacement would have to equal his expertise. Don't know the guy personally but the fitness of players during our successful period was clear for all to see

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk
Last edited by Sneachta on Wed May 02, 2018 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Wed May 02, 2018 7:48 pm

Dunno Graham Byrne at all - I stopped following him on twitter because he's a complete food fascist! - but he was primarily responsible for getting our players up to a level of fitness I've never seen in League of Ireland. I wish him all the best and hope we don't end up missing him.

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Thu May 03, 2018 12:24 am

He was brought in by the manager from day one and did make an essential contribution to the very quick change from relegation fodder to runners up. His methods were probably revolutionary in terms of League of Ireland players' thinking on S & C and nutrition. He undoubtedly, with the manager, got a squad of semi-pro players to properly buy in to a full-time like standard and expectation. That was no mean feat! But looking at how Cork in particular closed that gap on us shows that there are other Sports physiologists out there that can do the job. Getting someone in who is full time is a better option than having someone who was only doing occasional sessions with the players even if that person is top of his field. So thanks Graham for your contribution, it was greatly appreciated but its best to have a new person who can fully commit his time as a full time member of the coaching staff imo.

Return to “General Discussion”