Derry City V Dundalk | Mon 14 May | 7:45pm | Brandywell

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Derry City V Dundalk | Mon 14 May | 7:45pm | Brandywell

Postby Ezeikial » Sat May 12, 2018 10:42 am

This has the potential to be a cracker.

Both teams are likely to play open attacking football, and if both play to their potential it could be a brilliant spectacle.

It's also a marvelous opportunity for us to return to the top of the table while for Derry they can close to within 5 points of the top with a win.

if we can take full points here it will us in a brilliant position

Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Sneachta
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Derry City V Dundalk | Mon 14 May | 7:45pm | Brandywell

Postby Sneachta » Sat May 12, 2018 12:51 pm

It's a top fixture. On a Monday night! What a pity. Both teams deserve better.

I wouldn't accept Bradley's comments where he said that all the teams knew about this before the season so no point complaining now, just get on with it.

You'd wonder what sort of voice the clubs had in the decision making process.

Anyway, I would favour Derry ever so slightly for this. But a draw could be most likely outcome

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

micls
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby micls » Sat May 12, 2018 2:43 pm

Sneachta wrote:It's a top fixture. On a Monday night! What a pity. Both teams deserve better.

I wouldn't accept Bradley's comments where he said that all the teams knew about this before the season so no point complaining now, just get on with it.

Anyway, I would favour Derry ever so slightly for this. But a draw could be most likely outcome

Derry are fragile at the back, I'd expect Hoban to score. If we were in any way clinical wed have scored a few last night.

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby White Horse » Sat May 12, 2018 3:15 pm

micls wrote:
Sneachta wrote:It's a top fixture. On a Monday night! What a pity. Both teams deserve better.

Derry are fragile at the back, I'd expect Hoban to score. If we were in any way clinical wed have scored a few last night.

With Gannon and Cleary out and Rogers going through a wobble period, we're a bit fragile ourselves.

The early season run of clean sheets seem a distant memory now.

Hoban is going great for us though.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Sun May 13, 2018 9:30 am

Yep Rogers on a wobble, Gannon being out and Folan not inspiring any confidence has definitely made us look fragile at the back. The goals we've conceded the last few weeks have nearly all been from sloppy errors at the back - poor or missed clearances

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sun May 13, 2018 9:59 am

El Paso wrote:Yep Rogers on a wobble, Gannon being out and Folan not inspiring any confidence has definitely made us look fragile at the back. The goals we've conceded the last few weeks have nearly all been from sloppy errors at the back - poor or missed clearances

The irony of our greater defensive fragility is that of the 6 goals conceded since we conceded our first against Shamrock Rovers in early April, 2 goals have been down to our player of the season Daniel Cleary (penalty against Derry and 2nd goal against Waterford) - how I wish he was available to play in the Brandywell on Monday!
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Sun May 13, 2018 11:16 am

I’d love if SK would pair Gartland and Hoare in the centre tomorrow night, it obviously means finding a right full but I just can’t see him doing that. Jarvis is left footed but he might be worth considering there, a lot of decent and skill full full backs in the past have switched, other options are right footed players like Poynton and Mountney but the latter probably won’t make it.

I can see him leaving Hoare there, which means he will probably have to continue with Folan.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sun May 13, 2018 11:35 am

mike wrote:I’d love if SK would pair Gartland and Hoare in the centre tomorrow night, it obviously means finding a right full but I just can’t see him doing that. Jarvis is left footed but he might be worth considering there, a lot of decent and skill full full backs in the past have switched, other options are right footed players like Poynton and Mountney but the latter probably won’t make it.

I can see him leaving Hoare there, which means he will probably have to continue with Folan.

I share your concerns and believe that a Gartland / Hoare combination would leave us much stronger in the centre. I was hopeful about Poynton being able to play right back, but based on his performance there against Bohs in the EA Sports Cup, he is well off the pace currently. If fit Mountney is a still a risk, but perhaps one that would be worth taking. Stephen Kenny will be well aware from training if Jarvis could switch over to right back, and it may well be a good option. Switching Shields to right back with Jarvis coming back in at no 6 is another good option and based on his recent performance against Bohs, it is a position that Jarvis can play comfortably.

Sneachta
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sneachta » Sun May 13, 2018 1:58 pm

What about folan right full?

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby White Horse » Sun May 13, 2018 2:09 pm

Sneachta wrote:What about folan right full?

He would be slaughtered.

Wexford White
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Wexford White » Sun May 13, 2018 2:41 pm

This is actually a postponed series 4 match. Was it not originally scheduled for a Friday?
The Back of the Wall

Ridleys regular
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Ridleys regular » Sun May 13, 2018 3:27 pm

Rory Hale suspended for Derry.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/4410 ... rn_ireland

Kenny Shiels not impressed by how late that call(the Hale suspension) was made.

https://audioboom.com/posts/6853589-der ... nny-shiels

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sun May 13, 2018 4:03 pm

Ridleys regular wrote:Rory Hale suspended for Derry.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/4410 ... rn_ireland

Kenny Shiels not impressed by how late that call(the Hale suspension) was made.

https://audioboom.com/posts/6853589-der ... nny-shiels

Kenny Shiels is saying he was only told this morning during a Derry training session that Hale is suspended.
Presumably he means that he only became aware of it from someone in the club at that time

Daniel Cleary picked up his 5th yellow of the season 3 league games back against St Pats - it was immediately identified by the club that he would be suspended for the Derry match, long before any formal confirmation would be sent out by the FAI to the club secretary.

Unless there is some special circumstances here (other than KS having a whinge) he needs to be looking inwards for answers on this one

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Sun May 13, 2018 6:50 pm

Making the right decision on who goes in at right full and who partners with Gartland will be key calls tomorrow night.

I think when/if everyone is fit, the order of preference in choice for centre backs will be Cleary, Hoare, Gartland, Folan. Prob tough on the latter but his performances have been shaky of late.

magarnagle
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby magarnagle » Sun May 13, 2018 8:23 pm

If he plays Folan we will struggle. I don't think he will though, he sees it himself hence the substitution on Friday. We need to start making a statement away from home but with our current injuries it's going to be tough

Return to “General Discussion”