FAI Cup 2018

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: FAI Cup 2018

Postby colymull » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:24 am

DFCLife wrote:
marmulade wrote:I'm almost disappointed that we didn't get Longford Town at Oriel, purely to see the reception that Neale Fenn would get on his return.

I recall he got a very hostile reception when he came to Oriel as a Shams player, before being thumped 5-1 of course. If he was to return as Longford manager, I doubt many would even acknowledge him, given that it's been 8 years and he seemed to fall off the face of the Earth after that season.

Speak for yourself!!!!

King Kenny!

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby oldfogey » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:16 pm

16 teams left in the FAI Cup. I'm sure I saw somewhere that the draw is on Monday night so I'm assuming Soccer Republic. Anyone able to confirm?

Bohemians
Cabinteely
CIE Ranch
Cork City
Derry City
Drogheda Utd
Dundalk
Finn Harps
Galway Utd
Limerick
Longford Town
Maynooth University Town
St Patricks Athletic
Shelbourne
UCD
Waterford

Shoco
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Shoco » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:29 pm

colymull wrote:
DFCLife wrote:
marmulade wrote:I'm almost disappointed that we didn't get Longford Town at Oriel, purely to see the reception that Neale Fenn would get on his return.

I recall he got a very hostile reception when he came to Oriel as a Shams player, before being thumped 5-1 of course. If he was to return as Longford manager, I doubt many would even acknowledge him, given that it's been 8 years and he seemed to fall off the face of the Earth after that season.

Speak for yourself!!!!

Agree, absolute kunt of the highest order

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:33 pm

oldfogey wrote:16 teams left in the FAI Cup. I'm sure I saw somewhere that the draw is on Monday night so I'm assuming Soccer Republic. Anyone able to confirm?

Bohemians
Cabinteely
CIE Ranch
Cork City
Derry City
Drogheda Utd
Dundalk
Finn Harps
Galway Utd
Limerick
Longford Town
Maynooth University Town
St Patricks Athletic
Shelbourne
UCD
Waterford

Was announced in oriel that the draw was on soccer republic..
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:48 pm

At home to Finn Harps
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:57 pm

Eases the fixture congestion somewhat. Good draw to rest a few players and try a few things considering the Rovers game the following Tuesday

Weelilywhite
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Weelilywhite » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:29 pm

Given what happened against Cobh, how poor some of our 2nd team are and the fact that Finn Harps are considerably ahead of Cobh in the league, I don't think SK will rest too many players. If we can control the game the lads should be ok for the Rovers match.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:47 pm

Weelilywhite wrote:Given what happened against Cobh, how poor some of our 2nd team are and the fact that Finn Harps are considerably ahead of Cobh in the league, I don't think SK will rest too many players. If we can control the game the lads should be ok for the Rovers match.

That is a reoccurring debate here recently - whether he should/will rotate players.

Note: It is impossible to know what you mean by "rest too many players"!
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby colymull » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:04 am

Plenty of talk about how every other team would like to see Dundalk and Cork play each other before the final and how the general public are getting fed up of the same 2 teams in the final. I’ve a funny feeling that if we are both still in the pot come the semi final stage, there might be a couple of “hot balls” in the pot!!!
King Kenny!

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:31 am

colymull wrote:Plenty of talk about how every other team would like to see Dundalk and Cork play each other before the final and how the general public are getting fed up of the same 2 teams in the final. I’ve a funny feeling that if we are both still in the pot come the semi final stage, there might be a couple of “hot balls” in the pot!!!

The FAI will want to make as much money as possible from the cup final.. of those currently still in it dundalk, cork derry and possibly waterford are the only teams that would bring any sort of crowd with them to the aviva..
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby colymull » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:24 pm

niall_hearty2000 wrote:
colymull wrote:Plenty of talk about how every other team would like to see Dundalk and Cork play each other before the final and how the general public are getting fed up of the same 2 teams in the final. I’ve a funny feeling that if we are both still in the pot come the semi final stage, there might be a couple of “hot balls” in the pot!!!

The FAI will want to make as much money as possible from the cup final.. of those currently still in it dundalk, cork derry and possibly waterford are the only teams that would bring any sort of crowd with them to the aviva..

You’re right, but for the neutral fan who might go to the final every year, a Dundalk-Cork final for the 4th year in a row may not be much of an attraction especially as the previous 3 have been 0-0 at 90 mins!!!
King Kenny!

nigel-harps1954
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby nigel-harps1954 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:27 pm

niall_hearty2000 wrote:

It's alright sure when Harps beat Dundalk you can all weigh in behind our efforts to beat Cork in the final..

Weelilywhite
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Weelilywhite » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:28 pm

Colymull to suggest that an organisation of such high moral standing and transparency would even think of such a thing ! Who gets the monies from the cup final- is it split between the two teams or does the FAI keep it as they keep the RTE money for broadcasting some games live ?

Wexford White
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Wexford White » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:09 pm

Weelilywhite wrote:Colymull to suggest that an organisation of such high moral standing and transparency would even think of such a thing ! Who gets the monies from the cup final- is it split between the two teams or does the FAI keep it as they keep the RTE money for broadcasting some games live ?

Is that true - the FAI get the money for televised games?
The Back of the Wall

dell1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby dell1 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:32 pm

The FAI say that as part of rights for international games they required RTE to also televise a certain amount of LoI games. The implication being that they couldnt sell the rights to RTE and they had to obligate RTE to show domestic games. I doubt the FAI keep RTE money for the league broatcasts but what level of overall money the league generates in other areas the FAI seemingly refuse to tell clubs. Make what you will of that. But RTE i highly doubt pay for league games.

Return to “General Discussion”