Return of the MC

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Return of the MC

Postby Ezeikial » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:14 pm

Caoimhin Reilly reports in the Demo

McEleney admits Oldham move "a bad decision" and is determined to make up for lost time at Dundalk FC

Patrick McEleney feels that he’s back where he belongs after re-signing with Dundalk FC.

The Foylesider departed last winter, joining English League One side Oldham Athletic. However, his spell in Lancashire was injury-disrupted and ended with relegation. Indeed, it’s a move he regrets making.

“It was a bad decision,” McEleney told The Dundalk Democrat.

“It was just a bit of a disaster. When I got in we were in a relegation fight and everything changed. We changed our style of football, it was about going longer and it didn’t suit me playing on right midfield in a 4-4-2.

“It was a tricky situation. It’s been in the media about us not being paid right so that sort of had an effect as well. I wanted out and they agreed. It all rolled really quickly and I’m just happy to be here.”

Having expressed an interest in coming back to Oriel Park, the transfer went through swiftly and McEleney is now looking forward to spending more time at the club which saw him produce career-best form.

He’s also back in an area which his family knows well.

“There was only one club that I was going to when they were interested and I’m buzzing to be back.

“I’m here for three-and-a-half years now and it’s a place where my family was happy before, we were here for two years and that’s obviously huge. The club’s going in the right direction, they’re in the perfect position and I’m just hoping to be part of it again,” he added.

Participating in Europe was another major carrot, he admits.

“To do well in Europe is an expectancy at this stage I think for the first time for a League of Ireland club in many years. I can’t wait.”

McEleney will wear the number 35 jersey having previously had number 11.

https://www.dundalkdemocrat.ie/news/spo ... lk-fc.html

Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:21 pm

Liking the talk of developing McGrath in a deeper role. Not sure Benson is doing enough to earn the move he’s looking for. But if he doesn’t stay I’m beginning to think McGrath could blossom there.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:51 pm

seand wrote: It's some squad and I hope we can afford it.

Wexford White wrote:"and I hope we can afford it." That's going through my mind too.

Maybe it is just a sign of the times that apart from these posts (plus two people also thanked seand) there has been no other mention or debate about this.
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:14 pm

Ezeikial wrote:

Wexford White wrote:"and I hope we can afford it." That's going through my mind too.

Maybe it is just a sign of the times that apart from these posts (plus two people also thanked seand) there has been no other mention or debate about this.

Think it’s a case of the club building up a core squad on multi year contracts in advance of the single year lads leaving. I expect a slightly smaller squad next year.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:51 pm

Gavin McLaughlin's video interview with P. McEleney

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... Hspmh2Jvuo

Johnnybegood33
Reserves
Reserves

Postby Johnnybegood33 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:22 pm

It’s not rocket science , this is what the new owners want , a squad that can do well in Europe . Winning the League & Champions League qualification & a good run. It’s not for the Mickey Mouse money for winning the league. So forget about this crap “ I hope we can afford it”. It’s a business venture , so if you don’t have a top squad , it’s failure.

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:28 pm

Ezeikial wrote:

Its is firmly in the back of the mind! To not consider possible financial implications of the amount of money being spent would be remiss od supporters and a tad arrogant maybe too. Whether it is misguided fear of the worst only time will tell but I dont think its something that should be dismissed out of hand JBG. The owners have a bit to do before there is 100% trust, I think that will only truly happen if and when we see some real work on Oriel Park.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:11 am

Patrick McEleney talking about his improving fitness

MCELENEY EDGING CLOSER TO HIS BEST AFTER HARPS WIN

Patrick McEleney looks to be getting back to the type of form and fitness that made him such a fan favourite in his first stint at Dundalk and the FAI Cup win over Finn Harps was another aspect to that return with more minutes under his belt.

More at:
http://www.sseairtricityleague.ie/news/ ... in/id-2079

Return to “General Discussion”