Dundalk v Bohemians | Sun 29 July | 7.00pm | Oriel Park

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1366
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:24 pm
Has thanked: 108 times
Been thanked: 92 times

Dundalk v Bohemians | Sun 29 July | 7.00pm | Oriel Park

Postby oldfogey » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:29 am

See this game rescheduled for next Sunday.



Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 4289
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:00 am
Has thanked: 119 times
Been thanked: 249 times

Re: Dundalk v Bohemians | Sun 29 July | 7.00pm | Oriel Park

Postby Ezeikial » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:58 am

The point is already made in the Fixtures thread, but this is an awkward match coming 3 days after the home encounter with Larnaca and 4 days before what is likely to be, arguably the single most important match (financially for sure) in our season to date.

Will SK go with his inclination to have minimal team changes with the possibility of a negative knock on for the Larnaca game, or use the large squad to rotate players?

Tis a big call
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

User avatar
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 5853
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:47 pm
Location: dundalk
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 82 times
Contact:

Re: Dundalk v Bohemians | Sun 29 July | 7.00pm | Oriel Park

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:03 am

The most important fixture is always the next one. We can't make wholesale changes to the starting 11 and expect to win. We are only 4 points clear of Cork not 6 or 8.. so we have to keep winning and keep the gap to at least 4 before we play Cork again. Win the league and get Champions League football next season. Where the big financial gains are to be made.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 4289
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:00 am
Has thanked: 119 times
Been thanked: 249 times

Re: Dundalk v Bohemians | Sun 29 July | 7.00pm | Oriel Park

Postby Ezeikial » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:31 am

niall_hearty2000 wrote:The most important fixture is always the next one.


That's a cliche that is clearly not correct - if our next game is an EA Cup game (or Leinster Senior Cup match) and the following one is a top of the table 6 pointer against our nearest rivals, then clearly not.

While players need to have focus one match at a time, the team management, club and supporters tend to want to look at the bigger picture. (for example the preparation and analysis of AEK Larnaca started before 9.45pm on Thursday)

niall_hearty2000 wrote: We can't make wholesale changes to the starting 11 and expect to win.


I don't know what "wholesale" means to you, but with the depth and quality of the squad that has been assembled, it is reasonable to expect to win against some opposition with less than the first choice 11 on the pitch. Balancing all the priorities and challenges is the obvious issue


niall_hearty2000 wrote: We are only 4 points clear of Cork not 6 or 8.. so we have to keep winning and keep the gap to at least 4 before we play Cork again. Win the league and get Champions League football next season. Where the big financial gains are to be made.


I agree that winning the league is hugely important and it's precisely because of this that the fixture congestion and how it is managed is such a big issue.

There is more than one way to handle this - it may not be playing your first choice / strongest 11 in every match
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

User avatar
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 5853
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:47 pm
Location: dundalk
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 82 times
Contact:

Re: Dundalk v Bohemians | Sun 29 July | 7.00pm | Oriel Park

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:44 am

Ezeikial wrote:
niall_hearty2000 wrote:The most important fixture is always the next one.


That's a cliche that is clearly not correct - if our next game is an EA Cup game (or Leinster Senior Cup match) and the following one is a top of the table 6 pointer against our nearest rivals, then clearly not.

While players need to have focus one match at a time, the team management, club and supporters tend to want to look at the bigger picture. (for example the preparation and analysis of AEK Larnaca started before 9.45pm on Thursday)

niall_hearty2000 wrote: We can't make wholesale changes to the starting 11 and expect to win.


I don't know what "wholesale" means to you, but with the depth and quality of the squad that has been assembled, it is reasonable to expect to win against some opposition with less than the first choice 11 on the pitch. Balancing all the priorities and challenges is the obvious issue


niall_hearty2000 wrote: We are only 4 points clear of Cork not 6 or 8.. so we have to keep winning and keep the gap to at least 4 before we play Cork again. Win the league and get Champions League football next season. Where the big financial gains are to be made.


I agree that winning the league is hugely important and it's precisely because of this that the fixture congestion and how it is managed is such a big issue.

There is more than one way to handle this - it may not be playing your first choice / strongest 11 in every match


Ffs you are a spin doctor. You twist everything that doesnt suit your point of view Colm. You wanted us to play sligo tomorrow. Stephen Kenny clearly disagrees.. we need to prepare as best we can for every game... there are certain games that are less important than others. Leinster cup and EA Sports are not AS important as the league or Europe. The EA Sports semi is against Cobh so I would imagine we could and should make wholesale changes to the starting 11 and take a hit if we lose. If it was the EA Sports cup that was our next fixture then I would agree that this is a risk worth taking. But it isn't! However if we did the same against bohs next Sunday and lose then the gap at the top could be back down to 1 point. Do you think that is a risk worth taking?
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 4289
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:00 am
Has thanked: 119 times
Been thanked: 249 times

Re: Dundalk v Bohemians | Sun 29 July | 7.00pm | Oriel Park

Postby Ezeikial » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:26 am

niall_hearty2000 wrote:
Ffs you are a spin doctor. You twist everything that doesnt suit your point of view Colm. You wanted us to play sligo tomorrow. Stephen Kenny clearly disagrees.. we need to prepare as best we can for every game... there are certain games that are less important than others. Leinster cup and EA Sports are not AS important as the league or Europe. The EA Sports semi is against Cobh so I would imagine we could and should make wholesale changes to the starting 11 and take a hit if we lose. If it was the EA Sports cup that was our next fixture then I would agree that this is a risk worth taking. But it isn't! However if we did the same against bohs next Sunday and lose then the gap at the top could be back down to 1 point. Do you think that is a risk worth taking?


Calm down niall_hearty2000, it's simply a discussion board where we can express views, and maybe even listen to other peoples opinions.

There is more than one way to approach the selection dilemmas presented by the Bohs league game
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

User avatar
White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1445
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:57 am
Has thanked: 47 times
Been thanked: 125 times

Re: Dundalk v Bohemians | Sun 29 July | 7.00pm | Oriel Park

Postby White Horse » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:58 am

I think it is clear from Stephen Kenny's record with Dundalk that he doesn't significantly rotate players in important games.

I could see him resting Sean Gannon, given that Daniel Cleary is kicking his heels on the bench. He might rest one more, Chevdukas for Benson or Jarvis for Massey perhaps. But that would be it.

User avatar
mike
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 7441
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:08 pm
Location: Iúr Cinn Trá & Ath Cliath
Has thanked: 137 times
Been thanked: 73 times

Re: Dundalk v Bohemians | Sun 29 July | 7.00pm | Oriel Park

Postby mike » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:47 pm

oldfogey wrote:See this game rescheduled for next Sunday.


I hadn’t heard this but pleased to see it fitted in now, important to keep the momentum going on league games.

The squad are probably flying out to Cyprus on Tuesday. Long old flight, 6 hours I think, but still good to get this league game played, plus it’s at home.

marmulade
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:19 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Dundalk v Bohemians | Sun 29 July | 7.00pm | Oriel Park

Postby marmulade » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:28 pm

There's also the financial implications of the rescheduling. Friday night games are the big draw, and while Sundays aren't the worst, the crowd will be down significantly.

I also don't understand why the Sunday games are scheduled so late. 7pm is a pain for anybody not living in the town, including the away fans. There was an FAI Cup semi-final against Derry a couple of years ago on a Sunday at 2pm, and nearly 5000 people turned up. Especially in the summer, with no competition from EPL football, an earlier kick-off time seems like a no-brainer.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

User avatar
punkha
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 887
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:08 pm
Location: dundalk
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: Dundalk v Bohemians | Sun 29 July | 7.00pm | Oriel Park

Postby punkha » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:54 pm

I personally think the 7pm is ideal for the rare Sundays . Don't forget a lot more people work Sundays these days and those that are off would have a lot of family stuff to do. Not competing with much else on an early Sunday evening.

User avatar
mike
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 7441
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:08 pm
Location: Iúr Cinn Trá & Ath Cliath
Has thanked: 137 times
Been thanked: 73 times

Re: Dundalk v Bohemians | Sun 29 July | 7.00pm | Oriel Park

Postby mike » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:22 pm

I think 7pm is fine. I get the point on our fans having to travel from Dublin and other places but there are simply too many family things on on a Sunday afternoon these days. It’s also not a bad time for children as they will be home after 9 for those living locally.

We had a huge crowd for Bohs at 7pm on a Sunday before, but that was a league winning game. 2016 I think.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1366
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:24 pm
Has thanked: 108 times
Been thanked: 92 times

Re: Dundalk v Bohemians | Sun 29 July | 7.00pm | Oriel Park

Postby oldfogey » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:17 am

I think the weather is a factor here where it was never in previous years. Timing this summer is much more about player welfare than crowds.

User avatar
Guinney
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 2220
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:02 pm
Location: Our Desmond
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 6 times
Contact:

Re: Dundalk v Bohemians | Sun 29 July | 7.00pm | Oriel Park

Postby Guinney » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:29 am

Kenny rarely makes many changes to the starting XI, which you can understand as he doesn't want to change a winning formula. But you don't want key players running out if steam. Changes that could be made that I feel wouldn't disrupt us too much:
Jarvis for Massey
Cleary to rotate in defence.

Other possible options, but can't see all these happening.
Adorjan for Benson.
Murray for McGrath
"The real test of those who like the beautiful game is to go and watch your local team." President Micheal D. higgins

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 4289
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:00 am
Has thanked: 119 times
Been thanked: 249 times

Re: Dundalk v Bohemians | Sun 29 July | 7.00pm | Oriel Park

Postby Ezeikial » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:00 pm

Apart from the starting line-up from the last Levedia match, so far we have had a number of players mentioned as possibilities to come in against Bohs:

Cleary, Jarvis
Chvedukas, Adorjan & Murray

Like others here I would not be surprised if, based on his track record, Stephen Kenny made few or no changes - although there are obviously significant risks attached to this policy. Apart from exposing players to the risk of fatigue and associated injuries, it also limits the opportunities for others to achieve or maintain the required match fitness if they are needed for reasons of injury, form or suspensions.

Patrick McEleney, Georgie Kelly and John Mountney could come in to the latter category also.

SK will hardly be influenced by the possibility of criticism around his decision making, but is likely to consider all the angles before finalising his team selection for Bohs
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

User avatar
iloveduffy.com
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 616
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:45 pm
Location: The Town
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Dundalk v Bohemians | Sun 29 July | 7.00pm | Oriel Park

Postby iloveduffy.com » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:37 am

Will be interesting to see which Derry team turns up to turners cross on monday. A result for them might alter Kennys team selection vs bohs
In Kenny we Trust


Return to “General Discussion”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BK, El Paso, muppet, niall_hearty2000 and 8 guests