Michael Duffy

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Michael Duffy

Postby Ezeikial » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:16 pm

Michael Duffy for Ireland?

More importantly, will he be at Dundalk next season?

Michael Duffy hoping viral wonder goal impressed on-looking Martin O'Neill

The Dundalk winger scored a stunner to help floor Levadia Tallinn in the Europa League

Michael Duffy's wonder goal has gone viral and he hopes it helps curry favour with Martin O’Neill too.

The Dundalk winger scored a stunner to help floor Levadia Tallinn in the Europa League on Thursday night.

Lilywhites boss Stephen Kenny said the execution took his breath away - and he likened it to Marco van Basten’s famous goal in the Euro 88 final.

Duffy is the League of Ireland’s standout player this season and the former Derry City and Celtic man is on O’Neill’s radar.

The Ireland boss name-checked him unprompted after the Boys in Green drew with Celtic in Glasgow in May.

Duffy played underage football with the Republic and then U21s with Northern Ireland, playing in one qualifier.

He was also called into Michael O’Neill’s senior squad in 2016 but has never won a cap for the North and recently expressed an interest in playing for the Republic.

Duffy had no idea O’Neill was at Oriel Park on Thursday but insists he has heard nothing about cracking the senior squad any time soon.

“It’s good that he was here and scoring in front of him is a good thing - but I haven’t heard anything on international things for me,” he said.

“No one has approached me so I don’t know what way it would work. I’d love to play under Martin O’Neill. It’s a huge thing to play for your country.

“Whatever comes, I’d be happy with. My main thought is on (AEK Larnaca) next week so I’m not really thinking about that.”

Duffy scored his sensational goal with his weaker left foot but revealed he works on it all the time in training.

He read Jamie McGrath’s gorgeous, hanging cross superbly and rifled home on the volley from the tightest of angles.

“I was probably going to shoot - there was no other option,” he said. “It’s probably one of the best goals I’ve scored. I practice stuff like that in training.”

Mirror Sport revealed last month that Shamrock Rovers want to make Duffy the highest paid player in the league next season.

They have already dangled a tempting offer in front of him which Dundalk will have to match or better if they want to retain their most in-form player right now.

But Dundalk boss Kenny is relaxed about the situation as the Lilywhites appear to be back on track after finishing second best last season.

Kenny said: “Michael is very happy here. I don’t think players want to leave this team - that’s the impression I get.

“Michael has come a long way in such a short space of time.

“When he came in for the first few months of last season, people were of the opinion he wasn’t good enough for us!

“So he’s come a long way, he’s having a rich vein of form and long may he continue.”

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer ... r-12954461

Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Michael Duffy

Postby White Horse » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:26 pm

Ezeikial wrote:More importantly, will he be at Dundalk next season?

Given his form, the exposure he is getting, and that he will be available on a free at the end of season, I'd say no.

In fact, I'd go so far as saying there is a better chance Daryl Horgan will be at Dundalk next season.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:31 pm

Duffy > Horgan
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:29 pm

Michael Duffy interview with Off the Ball

https://twitter.com/offtheball/status/1 ... 8091451394

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:06 pm

It’s very rare any irish player goes over the water twice and makes it. Always exceptions but they need to be very good. Fahey was one. Then you have guys like Maguire but he was quite young at west ham. Hoban is another but he didn’t play that much first time and poor club choice the second time.

Duffy has a great options. Without doubt playing the football of his life. He’ll be thinking of another crack but at same time he didn’t play a single game for Celtic and might look at the example of Horgan who was/has been used very little by PNE.

A 3 year contract would of course be what we want. But what does he want ?

paul1
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby paul1 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:07 pm

I don’t think Duffy would have any impact across the water he never got s look in with Celtic and struggled to get into a poor Dundee team when we signed him... He should know himself the grass isn’t always greener somewhere else , he should also look a recent history of the club better players than him in my opinion have left the club and have made little or no impact , Boyle , Towell , Horgan. They were big big players here imagine how well they would be thought of if they were still here and how high their stock would have risen if still with Dundalk they would be cult hero’s at this stage instead they are all struggling in England for games and not a lot is thought of them playing wise , yes no doubt they are earning more money but they can’t be enjoying it compared to all the success they were having here and how much esteem and high regard they had when here.. Interesting choice if it came down to picking one of Horgan or Duffy , personally I’d pick Horgan every time without doubt.. I’d be interested to know who other posters would pick..

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:47 pm

Andy Boyle signed a two and a half year deal with Preston that was worth €6,000 per week according to his agent. If that is true his deal nets him around €750,000 without any bonuses or signing-on fee.The absence of a transfer fee obviously played in a big part in being able to negotiate that deal

There is little left to be said after that, other than speculating that for Daryl Horgan it may have been even more lucrative.

If Michael Duffy attracts any remotely similar he will be likely to grab it. Most would do the same

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:53 pm

IRELAND'S CALL Dundalk star Michael Duffy reveals he has not been contacted by FAI to make Republic of Ireland switch
The 23-year-old - who netted spectacularly against Levadia Tallin this week - has represented Northern Ireland at youth levels and was called into their senior squad two years ago

MICHAEL DUFFY revealed he has never been asked to sign a ­transfer form to play for Ireland.

But everyone at Dundalk hopes he will sign on with them for next season.

Duffy has admitted he would be interested in testing himself abroad again too, although he claims to be unaware of any options.

More at:
https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/28 ... nd-switch/

dell
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby dell » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:57 pm

The rate at which Duffy has improved has been quicker than Horgan. I think he will continue to improve too. His profile and performances have been recognised sooner than Horgan. For that reason if there was a choice Id keep Duffy over Horgan returning but there isnt much in it. If Duffy can make a similar impact against higher ranked European sides than Levadia as Horgan did then I dont think there would be much chance of keeping him. Towell may not have made an impact at Brighton but he did at Rotherham and would feature for them in the Championship if he makes a permanent move or is loaned out again. Horgan will have to move too along with Boyle if wanting to be more than a bit part at PNE.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:36 pm

I'd be amazed if Duffy stays. Any half lucrative offer at all he'll be gone and there are plenty of teams in League 1 that can afford to make him very wealthy, never mind the English Championship.

I'd love to think that the attraction of pretty much guaranteed European football would keep him, but it hasn't kept any of the others.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:18 pm

El Paso wrote:I'd be amazed if Duffy stays. Any half lucrative offer at all he'll be gone and there are plenty of teams in League 1 that can afford to make him very wealthy, never mind the English Championship.

I'd love to think that the attraction of pretty much guaranteed European football would keep him, but it hasn't kept any of the others.

To be fair the lure of European football as glamorous as it sounds is not as financially rewarding as a contract with a league 1 or championship side. Financial rewards and security for your family will outweigh 4 or 6 games in Europe. Now if we could match or be close to matching an offer from those sides then we are obviously a far more attractive offer to a player.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

DundalkChampions
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby DundalkChampions » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:03 am

niall_hearty2000 wrote:
El Paso wrote:I'd be amazed if Duffy stays. Any half lucrative offer at all he'll be gone and there are plenty of teams in League 1 that can afford to make him very wealthy, never mind the English Championship.

To be fair the lure of European football as glamorous as it sounds is not as financially rewarding as a contract with a league 1 or championship side. Financial rewards and security for your family will outweigh 4 or 6 games in Europe. Now if we could match or be close to matching an offer from those sides then we are obviously a far more attractive offer to a player.

That would be impossible. Players in the Champ would be on more than all our squad put together!

DundalkChampions
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby DundalkChampions » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:04 am

DundalkChampions wrote:
niall_hearty2000 wrote:

That would be impossible. Players in the Champ would be on more than some all our squad put together!

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:15 am

DundalkChampions wrote:
niall_hearty2000 wrote:Now if we could match or be close to matching an offer from those sides then we are obviously a far more attractive offer to a player.

That would be impossible. Players in the Champ would be on more than all our squad put together!

A timely reminder about the deals offered to Andy Boyle and Daryl Horgan by a mid-table Championship side who have a reputation for modest wages:

DARYL DO Andy Boyle and Daryl Horgan set to land deals worth at least £750,000 each at Preston
The Dundalk duo are set to sign at Deepdale after starring in the Lilywhites' Euro run

While Dundalk will receive nothing as both the centre-half and winger are out of contract, it is understood that the duo will earn a basic weekly wage of £6,000 with an appearance fee of £1,000.

That equates to a minimum of £312,000 per annum with both expected to sign for at least 2½ years.

It dwarves their current salaries as PFA Ireland general secretary Stephen McGuinness revealed this week that no player in the League of Ireland earns more than €50,000 (£42,550) a year.

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/26 ... t-preston/

There might be some prospect of competing with deals in Soctland or English lower leagues but certainly not with the English Championship

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby niall_hearty2000 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:29 pm

You're clearly missing my point.. obviously we can't compete financially with them. I was merely stating that if we were on the same financial footing then staying with us would be the better option as we would be challenging for titles and getting European football every season.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Return to “General Discussion”