Problem with new pitch.

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Dundalk10
Youth Team
Youth Team

Problem with new pitch.

Postby Dundalk10 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:50 pm

Interesting to read in the Argus that the manufacturers of the pitch that was laid last year recently spread 14 tonnes of new rubber balls over it.
I did think that the pitch look darker the last few matches. The company said it was necessary maintenance but apparently the pitch was perfect before it was done.
According the the article, such is the level of concern over the state of the pitch now and the fact that the extra rubber holds up the run of the ball, management and players feel unless there is a rapid improvement it could cost them the leage title.
Must be why the pitch is being absolutely soaked pre match and at half time.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Problem with new pitch.

Postby El Paso » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:54 pm

Sounds like something that can’t be that hard to fix. Benson supposedly mentioned the pitch on the LOI Weekly podcast. Didn’t hear it. Seemed to play fine last Thursday, Larnaca had no problems

DundalkChampions
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby DundalkChampions » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:11 pm

El Paso wrote:Sounds like something that can’t be that hard to fix. Benson supposedly mentioned the pitch on the LOI Weekly podcast. Didn’t hear it. Seemed to play fine last Thursday, Larnaca had no problems

Benson mentioned some regualtions for European games on high ball bounces etc where the reason for the extra pepples been put down

marmulade
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby marmulade » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:59 pm

IIRC, there aren't that many home league games left (5, IIRC?). Hopefully it won't negatively affect the performance of the team, or at the very least, it will affect Dundalk's performance less than the opposition!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:59 pm

At the Cork game there were dozens of white skip - sacks of rubber filling behind the carrick goal, these were all added to the surface before the European games.

This was a requirement by UEFA to ensure the pitch was 'heavier', hopefully they will wear off soon, as i thought this and last year (up to the Levadia game) that it was at last, an excellent pitch.

0rl
Reserves
Reserves

Postby 0rl » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:36 pm

mike wrote:At the Cork game there were dozens of white skip - sacks of rubber filling behind the carrick goal, these were all added to the surface before the European games.

This was a requirement by UEFA to ensure the pitch was 'heavier', hopefully they will wear off soon, as i thought this and last year (up to the Levadia game) that it was at last, an excellent pitch.

I'm sure if it's only a european thing and not to the liking of Kenny & Co then they can just rake it quite heavily a few times and some of hte extra rubber will come to the sides and be removed.

Return to “General Discussion”