First Division promotion chase

Yes, there are other things to discuss apart from Dundalk F.C. and feel free to discuss them here!

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

marmulade
Youth Team
Youth Team

First Division promotion chase

Postby marmulade » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:36 pm

Hey folks,

With just two games left in the league format of the First Division, the potential candidates for promotion are starting to shape up. At the head of the pack are UCD, who seem almost certain to go up as champions. Then come Finn Harps, Shelbourne, and Longford, who look likely to fill the promotion play-off places.

The trips to Belfield next season seem attractive; easy to get to, and a reliable place to pick up points, historically. Though it seems like an up-hill task for them, given the need to win 3 play-off rounds, I wouldn't mind seeing Shelbourne come back up. It's been ages since I've been to Tolka Park, though Bohemians may end up there too, given the upcoming Dalymount redevelopment. Would an additional two Dublin clubs clogging up the Premier Division be a good thing, though?

Though Finn Harps seem the next most likely candidates, Ballybofey is a pain to get to, and personally, I never want to have to watch Dundalk play on the Finn Park surface again. It was a disgrace last year, though you rarely hear the Cork Twitter warriors talk about that when they come complaining about the 4G. It'd be nice to see Olly Horgan back around the place again, though.

Who are your preferred teams for 2019?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: First Division promotion chase

Postby Louth4sam » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:39 pm

For completely selfish reasons, I hope it's UCD and Shelbourne. It would mean four handy away trips next season for fans.
"This is not only a point to make headlines, it is the truth. Football on artificial turf is the future." - FIFA president Sepp Blatter

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:49 pm

I had hoped we’d lose Bray and get Galway back. Best looking 10 team division by a mile. Shels makes it too many Dublin sides and most of the other clubs won’t break 1,000 for attendances.

ArFella
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby ArFella » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:14 pm

Apologies for being a pedant, but shouldn't this be in Non-Dundalk Talk?

As for the actual question was hoping for Galway to return as it's a lovely city for an away trip, but they've really struggled this season so maybe a cup draw next season. I have no strong opinion on UCD being in the PD, they will deserve their place if they win the league and that's good enough for me. Of the Playoff hopefuls anyone but Harps, they play the worst football of those teams and the away trip is gruelling.
Mon the Town!

marmulade
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby marmulade » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:17 am

Well, it's official. UCD are promoted. Looks like we'll be winging our way to Belfield for a couple of trips next year.

Drogheda are back in a play-off spot, but they'll need to win 3 play off rounds to make it back to the Premier Division, assuming they hold off Longford in the race for 4th spot.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Wexford White
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Wexford White » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:38 pm

So Finn Harps, Drogheda and Shelbourne are to play off home and away for the privilege of playing Limerick. Drawn out, isn't it?
The Back of the Wall

thelimerickboy
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby thelimerickboy » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:15 pm

Wexford White wrote:So Finn Harps, Drogheda and Shelbourne are to play off home and away for the privilege of playing Limerick. Drawn out, isn't it?

Yep. Should be just the one team promoted.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:39 pm

Georgie Kelly named on the PFAI First Division team of the year

https://twitter.com/PFAIOfficial/status ... 9045769216
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Return to “Non-Dundalk Talk”