2019 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Towelie
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: 2019 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Postby Towelie » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:34 am

Be interesting to see the new faces brought in over the next few weeks and months. I reckon McCarey and Hery, perhaps McAneff (Not sure what the situation is with his contract with Derry) and maybe at a push Sadlier providing he doesn't opt for a move to England, not sure how I'd feel about him joining after scoring against us in the last two cup finals haha, not unlike how I felt about Sheppard joining but there's not doubting Sadliers quality. I'm sure the yanks will have info on a few free agents from abroad to give us more depth.
A few Kristian Adorjans about the squad would do no harm.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:47 am

Towelie wrote:Be interesting to see the new faces brought in over the next few weeks and months. I reckon McCarey and Hery, perhaps McAneff (Not sure what the situation is with his contract with Derry) and maybe at a push Sadlier providing he doesn't opt for a move to England, not sure how I'd feel about him joining after scoring against us in the last two cup finals haha, not unlike how I felt about Sheppard joining but there's not doubting Sadliers quality. I'm sure the yanks will have info on a few free agents from abroad to give us more depth.
A few Kristian Adorjans about the squad would do no harm.

Aaron McEneffs contract is expired. Supposedly interest from UK and Rovers according to papers.

The four you mention are the cream of the talent available in Ireland
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:57 am

All 4 would make us almost invincible but more likely to get possibly only two of them. Hery is also under contract so that would take a significant cash deal.

Anyone know what the contract situation is with young McCarey, he only joined W'Point in the summer, and I don't think the IL (like LOI) can have short term deals unless it's a loan, so if he joined on 1/1 would that be a fee? Probably.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:58 am

Again I come back to an old point, but I don't see the point in adding to the squad when we have a manager who sticks with the same 11 with only minimal changes over long periods.

I'd love to pick up some exciting talent from abroad, but only one of the three last season impressed. For a club our size with no scouting network it's hard to see how we'd pick up the right sort of player. Still, I'd love to think there's a German No. 8 and a Dutch No. 7 out there available on loan and itching for an opportunity

Assuming the manager intends persisting with 4-2-3-1 then ten players are pretty much guaranteed to start if available, with the only question mark being the right side of the three. So I just don't see the point of signing anyone who isn't a clear improvement or intended replacement for what we already have.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:58 pm

That's not a bad point El P re his favoured starting xi and you're right he will stick to most of that XI most of the time.

We do however need to strengthen a few positions, right side of MF plus the current MF might be the best in Ireland, but you'd have to agree it's not good enough to progress more than say two rounds in Europe, that was made clear in Larnaca.

All teams at the top need quality back up, just look at our central defence for a start, Folan and Cleary started there,then Hoare came in for the first home Cork game in place of Folan, then Gartland regained his spot after illness at the expense of Cleary. All were good options, well Folan drifted but still means you need good back up.

We also need a right full to cover Gannon. I also think we need a different type of MF to drive us forward in Europe, however for players to join we need some to leave, Sava is one gone, but I'd say likes of Poynton might be going, Chevedukas is on another year, haven't seen much from him, but he has potential, injury worry though, then there is Sam Byrne, who even got a contract extension, he'd be better going back out on load really.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:42 pm

I agree entirely, that's what I meant by saying the only signings we make should be players good enough to replace what we already have.

Under a manager who rotates more I'd like quality cover in every position, but a) how many really good ambitious players are going to join us to sit on the bench and b) how much does that cost us?

Signing players to sit on the bench seems pointless to me. The manager didn't even trust any of them to rest his first choice in the middle of the European games and we lost the League Cup semi final because they had no match fitness.

I also agree about Larnaca, which is why I highlighted the 7 and 8 positions. They're the two signings I'd like to see us make, but I'd stop at that unless Massey leaves and we need another left sided player.

buster
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby buster » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:47 pm

I was at the Warren point game yesterday and Mc Carey was brilliant saved a peno as well as some other terrific saves,that was the 3rd peno in the last few weeks saved.Having a chat with some of the localsl they say he is leaving in Dec ,but linfield have stepped in with an offer for him he wants full time football.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Postby mike » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:59 pm

Are Linfield full time though? I known they'll be aiming higher now that Fenlon has joined as GM.

If he has a choice between them and us, he will face the same challenge trying to dislodge an experienced man but in the case of Linfield's Carroll must be over 40 now v Rogers at 37. I think he'd still be better suited with us with the morning training and probably financially better, however I'd still like to know his contract situation and will a fee be involved.

buster
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby buster » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:26 pm

As far as I know he is a free agent Ross county we're regulated and he is a free to sign with whoever he wants.

Blackandwhite10
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Blackandwhite10 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:40 pm

El Paso wrote:I agree entirely, that's what I meant by saying the only signings we make should be players good enough to replace what we already have.

Under a manager who rotates more I'd like quality cover in every position, but a) how many really good ambitious players are going to join us to sit on the bench and b) how much does that cost us?

Signing players to sit on the bench seems pointless to me. The manager didn't even trust any of them to rest his first choice in the middle of the European games and we lost the League Cup semi final because they had no match fitness.

I also agree about Larnaca, which is why I highlighted the 7 and 8 positions. They're the two signings I'd like to see us make, but I'd stop at that unless Massey leaves and we need another left sided player.

If Massey leaves who is an option to come in?

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:09 am

Sooner rather than later Jarvis is going to be first choice LB. Not sure who’s available that’s good enough if Massey leaves tbh.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:27 am

El Paso wrote:Higgins supposed to be going to Derry as assistant manager. Pity - by all accounts makes a very positive contribution.

Slot opened up for Skip to stay?...

It looks like this may have hit a stumbling block. According to James Rogers on the twitter yolk
James Rogers
‏@jamesdundalk

Declan Devine set to be unveiled as Derry City manager later but it's now understood that Ruaidhrí Higgins will not be part of the set up meaning he is unlikely to be leaving Dundalk

https://twitter.com/jamesdundalk/status ... 3798872064
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Ezeikial
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby Ezeikial » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:07 am

Gavin McLaughlin
‏@DundalkSport

Ronan Murray being linked heavily with a move to Sligo Rovers. Dundalk hope to conclude deals with Robbie Benson and Dane Massey this week while opposition analyst Ruaidhri Higgins is also set to stay at the club despite interest from Derry City.

https://twitter.com/DundalkSport/status ... 9733037058

Sneachta
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sneachta » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:42 pm

Incredibly disappointed if Murray goes to Sligo

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Postby El Paso » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:10 pm

Murray is an example of exactly what I’m talking about - too good to sit on the bench as an understudy in a team that won’t rotate. A pity if he leaves.

Return to “General Discussion”