2019 & 2020 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Re: 2019 & 2020 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Post by Ezeikial » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:40 pm

It must be plain to anyone following this escalating row that the root cause of the problem here has been misguided attempts to manipulate and control the information that gets made public.

Threatened expulsion from press conferences, stadium bans, withdrawing access to players, news censorship, interventions from SWAI and FAI .......all reflects badly on those involved in this unseemly row.

Solutions need to be found to the growing disconnect between club and media
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Sneachta
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Sneachta » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:44 pm

Just finished reading James Rogers statement.

Have to say, it's an excellent piece of writing. Stating what he believes to be the facts but also clearly written with a lot of emotion and passion.

So if what James says is true, then is it to be believed that Mark Devlin is using untruths? Is he being economical with it.

It's also sad to read that he believes there is a "cloud" over the club at the moment, which is quite incredible and unbelievable considering the success on the pitch. It's also depressing to read, that despite the success of the football club in recent years, there are those that do not have the best interests of the club at heart. What does that mean? Are there people there to asset strip the club? Pull the plug with a free punt with all the money from Europe?

This isn't going to/hasn't ended well.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

Sneachta
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Sneachta » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:48 pm

Ezeikial wrote:It must be plain to anyone following this escalating row that the root cause of the problem here has been misguided attempts to manipulate and control the information that gets made public.

Threatened expulsion from press conferences, stadium bans, withdrawing access to players, news censorship, interventions from SWAI and FAI .......all reflects badly on those involved in this unseemly row.

It most certainly does not reflect well.

The FAI did it and we know what sort of shower they are.

The Louth county board attempted it recently and the Louth gaa is at rock bottom.

If such practices continue at Dundalk FC it can only create a toxic environment for everyone around the club. Leaving the atmosphere and positivity to plummet. Music to the ears of rivals.

Last edited by Sneachta on Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:57 pm

Agreed

There’s a lot to unpack in all this and no one comes out of it looking well. First there’s the rumour mongering that has clearly been very unfair on Perth. Even if there’s any truth to the batshit Barmby stuff, whoever spread it is a prick.

Second, it seems that the club objects to them sending Andy Burton off to sound out players being portrayed as Dundalk being ‘in for’ these players. Which seems fair enough.

Also still no explanation as to how we were supposedly close to signing a player who then retired with a knacked knee.

Whoever Rogers’ source is, they come across as knowing a lot and having a vendetta against Burton and, it looks to me, Treacy.

The information control / threatening the press nonsense was always going to end this way. Surprised it happened this quickly, though. Treacy is clearly at fault here too. It leaves a bad taste.

It’d he nice to think the people at the club who’ve allowed things get to this stage would have a rethink. But that’s probably naive on my part.

Rogers talks about people not having the club’s best interest at heart. I’d put his source front and centre of that. Whoever it is on the inside that’s unsettling things needs to gtfo.
Last edited by El Paso on Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:03 pm

Sneachta wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:48 pm
Ezeikial wrote:It must be plain to anyone following this escalating row that the root cause of the problem here has been misguided attempts to manipulate and control the information that gets made public.

It most certainly does not reflect well.

The FAI did it and we need what sort of shower they are.

The Louth county board attempted it recently and the Louth gaa is at rock bottom.

If such practices continue at Dundalk FC it can only create a toxic environment for everyone around the club. Leaving the atmosphere and positivity to plummet. Music to the ears of rivals.

In many ways this is what happens when you. Have owners who have no affinity with the club, the town, the fans. They see this as a potential cash cow. That is the bottom line. Every other owner and board was stacked with local people who had to in ways answer for their decisions. Currently those decisions are being made from America by people who have no real love for the club the town or us as fans. Over the past 18 months or so you can see the change in it. It appears that they will sell tickets to whomever as opposed to the fans who kept the club going when we really were shit. Or even the furore over season ticket holders seats being kept until 7.30 on European nights. Again fcuk them fill the ground and sure those that have been loyal supporters for yrs will have to make do... sometimes how you do the little and some what insignificant things sum you up..
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Sneachta
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Sneachta » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:04 pm

EP you know yourself, there have been some extraordinary people involved with Dundalk over the decades from volunteers to managers. But there have been some serious gobs****s in the background as well. This seems to have gone to another level here.

Edit...

I think you put it more eloquently than me there Niall but you're not far off the mark.

This whole thing has me little bit shook. Most certainly will be sending the pigeons to buy the next programme at home to rovers.

southerncomfort
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by southerncomfort » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:58 pm

Sorry for the newbie comment ( Long time reader & fan living in Europe*).

From an outsiders perspective mainly following national news & occasional LOI podcast , seems Dundalk have been really good with media this season ( especially Europe)

From reading Rogers post/blog, he seems aggrieved that because ,

- he was given full access to players/staff .
&
- some of his reporting was a unsettling to the club/staff-players ( leading to unnecessary headlines / speculation about contract renewals etc ) / leading to unnecessary pressure on the whole club before Europe etc

- the club decided to curtail that inside access to their staff ( ie players ).

This seems reasonable. It would be different if a club were less accommodating to journalists who constantly criticised ' on field tactics' as thats what football journalism is all about . It seems the only things that the club have an issue that could be argued to be ' commercially sensitive ' and or ' unsettling ' reporting.

If I was a financial journalist and spun(/reported on ) a load of rumours about a bank that undermine it. Or it was seen my reporting/speculation on how long X exec would last / or suggest Y was frustrated about the lack of a new contract etc. I suspect I might not get the best seats or sandwiches at the banks next press conference / or be invited at all (never watch a BOI press conference on Skorlive!) . I certainly wouldn't be allowed to wander around their head office.

On balance - it was probably a bit tetchy from the club. I suspect brought on by the obvious tensions at the stressful end of the season .

But , as fan from a distance / outsider - I do feel that there was almost an unfulfilled expectation that the wheels would spin off when King Kenny made the big time, some journalists have the story lines written in their head , about 'too many cooks ' & are bursting with a big 'where it all went wrong ' pieces . NOw we see thier latent frustration for the negative sort lines because the 'magic' is still there (and seemingly even better according to the stats)

Rogers' comparison with man united / FAI is nonsense. As far as I know - no LOI player / staff member is earning enough to be able not be stressed about having an income next season - so speculation in publications should be measured and heavily based on fact in my view. ( wild un sourced speculation is for forums like this! )

Criticism is healthy , but it seems the whole league are ' anti ' Dundalk , so the club are probably understandably appealing for local journalists to back them , or at least back them when they're 10 points clear - having been 13 points behind , and give them lots of valuable access.

just tuppence worth.

( *Or as Rogers will no doubt suspect, an account set up by the CEO/Manager&Burton one evening following a bidding war for Ronaldo and Messi - both signings fell through as Gill didn't rate them)

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by dundalkfc1903 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:37 am

.... Waiting for Oldfogey to make sense of all this for me....

White Horse
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by White Horse » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:08 am

Dundalk have been very good at allowing journalists access to players and staff. Journalists should realise that this comes at a price. It may not be stated explicitly but the expectation is that there will be no articles that will unsettle players and staff in the midst of contract negotiations. Journalists may talk about being fans, but they are also trying to make money on the back of the team. There is a contradiction between those two motives, and this unwelcome saga is the outcome.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:30 am

It's a very fair point that people - outside the club, fans of the club and possibly even inside the club - expected Perth and Gill to fail, and were waiting in the long grass to use a GAA cliche. It's true that the 'where did it all go wrong?' pieces are probably half written and filed away for a later day.

But, while I've an issue with Rogers spreading unfounded rumours or being a mouthpiece for someone with a vendetta, I don't believe he is one of those waiting for us to fail. He clearly is a fan as well as a reporter.

shedsteve
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by shedsteve » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:12 pm

Dundalk10 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:11 pm
Of course it is not helping. The question is who is giving him his info, is it from inside the club, is he making it up (which I doubt) or is it an outside source trying to stir things and rock the boat to try and give another team an advantage over us.
[/quote]

Or it could be the club, leaking false info about being linked with new players in order to put pressure on existing players to re-sign.
[/quote]

Nail on the head. Is the club unsettling players by telling journos they are interested in certain players? If someone wants a 2 yr deal and club only want a 1 yr deal maybe the player might panic if they thought some other players were linked?

Whatever about who is right and wrong and Rogers is not the first to be told off by the club the club is not doing itself any favours by banning/censoring media.

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by colymull » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:34 pm

https://twitter.com/markdevlin7/status/ ... 56929?s=19

A truce, of sorts!! Hopefully this is the end of it and both parties move on.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:40 pm

Might be the end of this row but doubt anything has actually changed.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:14 pm

El Paso wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:40 pm
Might be the end of this row but doubt anything has actually changed.
Something will have to change, otherwise this type of row with local or national media will simply spark up again.
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.