2019 & 2020 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Re: 2019 & 2020 Rumours | Transfers | Contract Renewals

Post by Ezeikial » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:04 pm

Daragh Leahy and Zach Elbouzedi being mentioned in the Irish Indo as a Dundalk target

The highly-rated Leahy is believed to be on the radar of Dundalk with Dean Jarvis expected to leave the club this winter; Jarvis ended the season behind Dane Massey in the pecking order.

However, there is still a strong possibility that Leahy - whose season was ended early by injury - will stay at Dalymount and be used as a left-sided centre half.

Dundalk are definitely looking to sign Leahy's U-21 international colleague Zack Elbouzedi from Waterford but the winger will take time to make a decision as he may have options in England and Scotland when the January transfer window opens.
https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer ... 77988.html

Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:30 pm

Duffy didn’t sign from Derry, S.

I don’t believe we can afford to maintain that size of a squad. The 2018 accounts should have been an eye opener for everyone. Two quality players in every position is a lovely idea, but it’s money we shouldn’t be spending.

We survived the whole season essentially without Flores, Dummigan or Benson. I agree entirely about needing quality in midfield, so if Flores and/or Murray can’t be relied upon to play 30 matches they should move on too. Dummigan is proof that having top quality cover in positions like full back is a waste.

Instead of 4-2-3-1 being the gospel, and being in big trouble if a player is injured, I’d rather we planned with different systems - like 4-3-3 and 3-4-3. Apart from anything else we’d be less predictable.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:55 pm

Talking about whether Robbie Benson or Jamie McGrath stay or go, Vinny says the club is well prepared either way.

I can understand why he would say that, but I can't understand how it could be the case. Surely he has replacements already lined up from some months ago?
They have that chance again tomorrow although Perth acknowledged that it could be a last Dundalk appearance for some, with Jamie McGrath and Robbie Benson out of contract at Oriel Park.

Perth hopes to keep both, though Benson is understood to be a target for St Pat’s, and talks are ongoing.

The gaffer said: “You know these things take time, both could be at the club and both could be gone.

“The difference with Dundalk now is that we’re actually very well prepared if both of them decide their time is up. And if both of them stay, we’re ready.”
https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/47 ... -linfield/
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:10 am

I'm hearing that Fleetwood is a likely destination for Jamie McGrath

Carrick_Road
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Carrick_Road » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:44 am

Hearing that Benson wants to focus on his career outside of football and perhaps thats why his link to St. Pats is gaining momentum, apart from the SOD link obviously.

All this talk about Byrne being the poster boy etc for the LOI, is he signed to a long term deal at rovers? Would anyone like to see him in a Dundalk Jersey? Could well be what we are missing. With the talent our squad has it would bring him on to higher levels.

Also saw Conor McCormacks name been thrown in the hat here, Dont think he is good enough or our answer but if sloggett is going to be used in a No. 8 role, he could be a useful addition. He can also play at RB which would provide cover for Ganno with Dummigan imminent departure.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:54 am

Carrick_Road wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:44 am
Hearing that Benson wants to focus on his career outside of football and perhaps thats why his link to St. Pats is gaining momentum, apart from the SOD link obviously.

All this talk about Byrne being the poster boy etc for the LOI, is he signed to a long term deal at rovers? Would anyone like to see him in a Dundalk Jersey? Could well be what we are missing. With the talent our squad has it would bring him on to higher levels.

Also saw Conor McCormacks name been thrown in the hat here, Dont think he is good enough or our answer but if sloggett is going to be used in a No. 8 role, he could be a useful addition. He can also play at RB which would provide cover for Ganno with Dummigan imminent departure.
According to this Irish Times article in Sept Jack Byrne has two years remaining on his contract. If that is correct he is going nowhere in League of Ireland
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer ... -1.4024920

I really can't imagine Conor McCormack being signed particularly now that Greg Sloggett has been signed (where did this Sloggett for No 8 thing gain any traction?).

Carrick_Road
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Carrick_Road » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:41 am

Ezeikial wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:54 am

According to this Irish Times article in Sept Jack Byrne has two years remaining on his contract. If that is correct he is going nowhere in League of Ireland
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer ... -1.4024920

I really can't imagine Conor McCormack being signed particularly now that Greg Sloggett has been signed (where did this Sloggett for No 8 thing gain any traction?).
https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer ... 79782.html

Funny enough Byrne has been linked to hull in todays independent, Id imagine if he was to go anywhere it will be back across the pond. He has played for quite a few clubs in the UK.

I think the whole Slogged for No 8 thing was brought up on this as he stated he wants to add more goals to his game. Personally I think he was signed to compete with Shields for that spot as opposed to playing alongside him. Hopefully he comes up trumps for us.

If it was the case to be signed as a no.8, Mc Cormack has been around the league, is local enough and is out of contract. The fact he can play RB too solves the whole splashing the cash on a back up quality back up player to sit on the bench. Merely a suggestion and I personally think we should be casting our net further afield to bring in young hungry players who could POTENTIALLY take the league by storm, Adorjan > Tagbajumi.

Les's Fridge
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Les's Fridge » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:55 pm

Hope Fleetwood is not Jamie McGrath's destination --- personally I believe he deserves to be playing in a better team than that, not to mention having a scumbag for a manager in Joey Barton ---he will hardly learn much from him! .....

Johnnybegood33
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Johnnybegood33 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:47 pm

There is no way , any of this squad should be let go.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:23 pm

Benson confirms he’s off in his rte interview. Body language when McGrath went off suggests the same.

Sneachta
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Sneachta » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:31 pm

Les's Fridge wrote:Hope Fleetwood is not Jamie McGrath's destination --- personally I believe he deserves to be playing in a better team than that, not to mention having a scumbag for a manager in Joey Barton ---he will hardly learn much from him! .....
Well considering Fleetwood are pushing for promotion, he might actually end up in the championship next season.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:49 pm

James Rogers
@jamesdundalk
Spoke to Brian Gartland after tonight's game. He says that interest from Pat's is news to him and that as far as he knows he will be at Oriel Park next season
https://twitter.com/jamesdundalk/status ... 1774228481

Robbiedundalk2
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Robbiedundalk2 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:21 am

Anyone know why Benson is going, why leave a team that is likely to win the league next season, must be beyond football reasons?

Carrick_Road
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Carrick_Road » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:08 am

Robbiedundalk2 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:21 am
Anyone know why Benson is going, why leave a team that is likely to win the league next season, must be beyond football reasons?
To focus on his career outside of football. Will be playing part time with Pats so can focus on his job, will be a guranteed starter and is setting up for life after football.

Sad to see him go, great player, probably played his best game of the last 12-18 months for us last night.

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by dundalkfc1903 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:21 am

Benson is one of the few players who can earn an income outside of football which is greater than what he can earn as a full time professional footballer.

Good luck to him. If he can keep himself fit , St Pats have a terrific player.