2019 Season - Preview, Fixtures & Attendances

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: 2019 Season - Preview, Fixtures & Attendances

Post by El Paso » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:19 am

Will they? Whatever creativity they might have had last year they seem to have none now.

Reports of Cork using a 5-3-2 wing back system in pre-season. Seems to be designed to press high and also low block, depending on where the other team pick up the ball. Expects a lot of full backs that looked very limited last season if they're going to stick with it.

Rovers will mount a hell of a challenge if Bradley knows how to get a team out of that squad. They'll overwhelm most opponents.

I have to say I'm very curious to see if we stick with the 4-2-3-1 or tweak it. With the players we have I like the idea of dropping Shields into a deeper central midfield role and dropping McEleney back beside Benson to give us more of a 4-1-4-1. Lovely balance to it. Still hopeful of seeing a classy number 8, but I think McGrath has what it takes to give Benson competition in that spot.

dell1
Reserves
Reserves

Post by dell1 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:22 am

The chasing pack outside of the top 3 will be generally stronger this season. I dont think we will see as many games with 4-8 goal hammerings dished out. Pats could well push Cork for 3rd spot and depending on what mood Shams are in maybe even higher. Waterford I dont feel have really strengthened from last season as much as expected but will still be a handful. Bohs have gone backwards after putting together a promising squad and had a good final round so hard to know how they will fare. Harps will be their usual physical selves and it wont be fun for anyone going to Ballybofey though they could be beaten heavily enough away from home. Sligo will improve under Buckley especially home form. We know that UCD are a good side and like many other sides if they can unearth a goalscorer will be comfortable enough. Derry again its hard to know, Devine's previous Derry side played some good stuff and were free scoring before a collapse in that last round, he was hard done by to get the sack and be replaced by Collins. Getting McNamee back is a boost but Gilchrist is not going to solve defensive frailties, good to see Cherrie back as a first choice keeper.

Of the top 3, we will all be anxious to get off to a good start to keep pressure off the new management and with the games so much front end of the season. i still think Cork will be in the mix until maybe toward the final round where that bit of lack of quality and numbers could be a problem. They will be closer to their roots so to speak like the 2014 side. He will have them drilled and motivated and they will be hard to shake off and there wont be the level of expectation and demand for a different brand of football with a budget cut and players out - that PR game has been well played. Shams? Well if they can play like they did in their last game in Oriel more consistantly then they wont be 20 odd points behind us when we are inevitably crowned Champions in 2019!

Robbiedundalk2
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Robbiedundalk2 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:35 am

Great article about trying to entice more people to games. I have posted before that we should all be trying to sell the gospel which I know is uncomfortable for most and I know I may sound like a Jehovah witness of old but as well as all the work the club has to do on marketing it would be great if we all played a part. I have tried with limited success to date but want to renew efforts for the new season. We all know loads of football fans from the town who stopped going or never went, some just need a gentle push to try it again. While we have had great times before, these are the most exciting times in our clubs history, reap and sew
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/find ... 1cdf2b08b9

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:24 pm

Today’s open session was a great success. Thanks to Fyffes, the club staff and volunteers, and especially the players who gave the kids as much time as they wanted. Having a picture for everyone to collect autographs was a brilliant touch.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:55 pm

Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by seand » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:43 pm

2,777 the official attendance at the President's Cup. Thought it look a bit bigger, but a decent crowd for a friendly and a very good crowd down from the town. Must have been 200+ there.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:38 pm

Sligo and Cork home games confirmed live on RTE. For fans of the league in general RTE have stripped the coverage right back.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:59 am

Why was there no attendance figure announced last night ? Nothing given on the dfc.com report either.

Sneachta
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Sneachta » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:04 am

No attendance announced. A pity. I'd say in and around 3500 at most?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:00 pm

Using the euro matches as a reference point I’d say it looked comfortably 3,500 with all the people standing.

mr-toyota
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by mr-toyota » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:33 pm

3347 was the attendance last night according to Twitter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SUPPORT THE DFC TRUST AND PATRON SCHEME http://www.dundalkfc.com/membership.asp

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:35 pm

It certainly looked over 3k last night, would have been helpful if they had announced a figure. I think a figure was called out / reported in all but one home game last season.

It really can't be that hard to manage for all games, but on the turn out itself, I think it was quite a good crowd.

mr-toyota
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by mr-toyota » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:40 pm

mike wrote:It certainly looked over 3k last night, would have been helpful if they had announced a figure. I think a figure was called out / reported in all but one home game last season.

It really can't be that hard to manage for all games, but on the turn out itself, I think it was quite a good crowd.
You may not have noticed by there was a bit of a power cut during the game which divided the attention of some of the management. So with all that going on it may have been forgotten about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SUPPORT THE DFC TRUST AND PATRON SCHEME http://www.dundalkfc.com/membership.asp

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:00 pm

I see the attendance has now been confirmed by DFC on twtiter. 3,347

I’d say the power cut was a fair reason for this not being announced. I noticed the lights under the stand that point down in the black spots that the floodlights miss.

This was a more than decent crowd. I’ll do a separate thread when I get a chance so we can see the usual figures / trending.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:52 pm

2,437 tonight v UCD with less than 20 away support. That’s not a bad crowd at all for a Monday night.

Must do up the usual figures this weekend.