2019 Season - Preview, Fixtures & Attendances

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: 2019 Season - Preview, Fixtures & Attendances

Post by seand » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:44 am

https://www.dundalkfc.com/fixture-updates-2/
So.... if we beat Qarabag it's....
Tue 6 APOEL/Sutjeska away
Tue 13 APOEL/Sutjeska home

if we lose to Qarabag it's....
Wed 7 Slovan away OR Thu 8 Feronikeli away
Tue 13 Slovan/Feronikeli home

Playing the FAI Cup at Cobh as scheduled on Saturday probably makes sense if it's APOEL/Sutjeska/Slovan. It's only really a problem in the unlikely circumstance it's Feronikeli and we've to play them twice in 6 days. Do we take a chance on sending a skeleton squad to Cobh on Sunday?

Sneachta
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Sneachta » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:38 pm

I'd say almost a full squad reversal for the game against cobh. I know we got stung down there before but I think the quality of players available should be strong enough and they are not as good as they were when pushing for promotion a couple of seasons back.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:05 pm

seand wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:44 am
https://www.dundalkfc.com/fixture-updates-2/
So.... if we beat Qarabag it's....
Tue 6 APOEL/Sutjeska away
Tue 13 APOEL/Sutjeska home

if we lose to Qarabag it's....
Wed 7 Slovan away OR Thu 8 Feronikeli away
Tue 13 Slovan/Feronikeli home

Playing the FAI Cup at Cobh as scheduled on Saturday probably makes sense if it's APOEL/Sutjeska/Slovan. It's only really a problem in the unlikely circumstance it's Feronikeli and we've to play them twice in 6 days. Do we take a chance on sending a skeleton squad to Cobh on Sunday?
If we ended up playing Feronikeli on the Thursday I think they might fly back to Cork on Friday and stay down there. If you come back to Dublin in the early hours, nobody will be fit to do much on Friday, and then you are on a bus for a long spin on Saturday. The alternative gives you the chance of recovery on Friday afternoon and an analysis session Saturday morning.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:13 pm

I think the postponement is very unfair on Sligo. They’ve no home game until mud September. It’s not our fault, it’s the League’s bullshit scheduling. Nonetheless it’s not on. We should play the game.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:57 pm

There are 3 options

Make European qualified clubs play their games as listed but schedule nothing for the weeks of qualifying round 1.

Have no fixtures for anyone during qualifying round 1

List fixtures but move/cancel on an ad hoc basis.

Option 1 does nothing for clubs who are hoping to progress. Friday nights are an issue for anyone in the Europa League.

Option 2 Everyone except those in Europe suffers as they have no games or income.

Option 3 is what is currently happening, and nobody is happy.

I think it's safe to say we would like a repeat of 2016. That's 8 straight weeks of qualifiers, a 3 week break, then 3 group stages games in Sep/Oct. No matter how you look at it, there is no solution to suit everybody.

magarnagle
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by magarnagle » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:20 pm

El Paso wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:13 pm
I think the postponement is very unfair on Sligo. They’ve no home game until mud September. It’s not our fault, it’s the League’s bullshit scheduling. Nonetheless it’s not on. We should play the game.
Strange stance, so we should potentially hinder our chances of progression in Europe to accommodate another club?

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by dundalkfc1903 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:26 pm

16 team premier with 2 rounds. Reducing current number of league games by 6 per season. Minimises need for midweek league games. Cups can start earlier in the season.

Sneachta
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Sneachta » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:29 pm

I think in fairness, he's looking at it from Sligo's point of view and in the interest of fairness. If it was ourselves, we'd be aggrieved and as stated, is the poxy scheduling of the league with an unnecessary summer break and ridiculous nature of cramming two thirds of the season in before the summer begins.

Whether or not, it should be just flippantly be played is another question. Some one in the FAI fixtures committee needs to make an executive decision that's fair for all parties but we know that's not their strong point.

Now that the date for upcoming European fixtures are known, the powers that be should have a contingency plan in place and devise when games are to be played. But as I said already, the FAI are too busy throwing 50th birthday bashes and scratching each others backs withexpense vouchers, than actually deciding on when games should be played ie, doing their jobs!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:39 pm

magarnagle wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:20 pm
El Paso wrote:
Strange stance, so we should potentially hinder our chances of progression in Europe to accommodate another club?
It’s clearly not accommodating another club! We’re the ones being accommodated by having the already scheduled matches postponed!

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:42 pm

Arrange the fixture lists so the six non euro sides play each other first couple of euro weeks.

After that if a club progresses that far:

League games are on Fridays. If the euro match is Wednesday then play Saturday night. If it’s Thursday play Sunday afternoon.

Not hard.

magarnagle
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by magarnagle » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:16 pm

El Paso wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:39 pm
magarnagle wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:20 pm
El Paso wrote:
It’s clearly not accommodating another club! We’re the ones being accommodated by having the already scheduled matches postponed!
Your concern for Sligo is admirable. But why should we play the game? The management have clearly decided that a postponement is in our best interests, therefore the club have done what they are entitled to do and requested that the game be postponed. The issue is with the scheduling of the fixtures which is out of our control. Just because it is unfair on Sligo doesn't mean we should put ourselves at a disadvantage

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:33 pm

oldfogey wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:57 pm
There are 3 options

Make European qualified clubs play their games as listed but schedule nothing for the weeks of qualifying round 1.

Have no fixtures for anyone during qualifying round 1

List fixtures but move/cancel on an ad hoc basis.

Option 1 does nothing for clubs who are hoping to progress. Friday nights are an issue for anyone in the Europa League.

Option 2 Everyone except those in Europe suffers as they have no games or income.

Option 3 is what is currently happening, and nobody is happy.

I think it's safe to say we would like a repeat of 2016. That's 8 straight weeks of qualifiers, a 3 week break, then 3 group stages games in Sep/Oct. No matter how you look at it, there is no solution to suit everybody.
It is almost impossible to find a solution to suit all clubs, but it is certainly possible to improve the current situation.

1) As others have suggested having the remaining LoI teams play each other during QR1 would be a start.

2) Scrapping the mid season break would allow for another set of fixtures

3) Extending the season by two weeks (at either end) would also create two more sets of fixtures

4) Starting the FAI Cup earlier might create some difficulties for non-league teams, but would create more scope for refixing league matches around later rounds (this could still happen regardless of re-fixing earlier rounds)

5) In addition to the above, introducing a compensation protocol with a fixed payment to club who lose gate receipts because of euro related postponements should also be explored
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:55 pm

Ruaidhri Higgins.says Vinny Perth has not received the credit he is due since replacing Stephen Kenny

https://www.the42.ie/vinny-perth-dundal ... =shortlink
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:33 pm

Ezeikial wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:55 pm
Ruaidhri Higgins.says Vinny Perth has not received the credit he is due since replacing Stephen Kenny

https://www.the42.ie/vinny-perth-dundal ... =shortlink
Given enough credit by whom? Most fans feel he's doing a fantastic job and managed a very sticky injury crisis quite well. Look at the reaction he's getting after games from the support. If anything I think it is louder than Kenny ever got due to fans mirroring the passion he's displaying.
"This is not only a point to make headlines, it is the truth. Football on artificial turf is the future." - FIFA president Sepp Blatter

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:00 pm

He’s not getting credit outside of Dundalk. The hacks who were all promoting Stephen for the Ireland job all moved on to Rovers and Jack Byrne.