New Supporters Club / Trust?

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

New Supporters Club / Trust?

Post by El Paso » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:56 pm

Wonder is it time to get something up and running again. The lads who worked in the Trust and Travel Club and so on did great work, but those supporters clubs were of a certain time, usually with the survival of the club in mind. We’re in a different place now, yet as supporters we should be organised, just in case.

So what would we want from a new club?

Getting the contact details of the fans is important, and something that makes being a member worthwhile. Even being able to lobby the club with one voice as paying supporters would be a good start.

Then perks? A supporters shirt maybe? A patreon podcast? A link up with Gavin’s work for exclusive content if he was willing?

dell1
Reserves
Reserves

Re: New Supporters Club / Trust?

Post by dell1 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:55 am

El Paso wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:56 pm
Wonder is it time to get something up and running again. The lads who worked in the Trust and Travel Club and so on did great work, but those supporters clubs were of a certain time, usually with the survival of the club in mind. We’re in a different place now, yet as supporters we should be organised, just in case.

So what would we want from a new club?

Getting the contact details of the fans is important, and something that makes being a member worthwhile. Even being able to lobby the club with one voice as paying supporters would be a good start.

Then perks? A supporters shirt maybe? A patreon podcast? A link up with Gavin’s work for exclusive content if he was willing?
The ability to survive! (again and again). But thats the pessimist in me as Peak6 could be with us for many years to come. There is always value to having an organised supporters group, in the past it was working to keep the club supported financially and alive, now it would be more looking to lean on the owners to consider fans concerns on creating a lasting legacy from this current era. We really do need to be more organised just in case!! An organised supporters group doesnt have to be just building a war chest in case of possible future problems with owners - there is a whole wealth of reasons for creating a new supporters club/trust!

pingu1
Reserves
Reserves

Post by pingu1 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:00 pm

I’ve tried a couple of times to get this off the ground but ended up not having enough time to really get involved as much as I’d like.
Think it’s very important to have an organized supporters club. More than willing to help out, albeit from a distance.
The only team for me.....

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:25 pm

What might make it easier this time is that it doesn’t need to be a fundraising group or a group that needs to meet regularly or deal with problems at the club. So a minimal subscription with a committee comprised of a secretary, treasurer, club liaison officer and maybe a diaspora fans officer (Dean!) and juvenile fans officer?

Twitter and Facebook can be used for public comms, Survey Monkey could be used to collate opinions and prioritise what the majority of fans care about. Patreon could be used to collect a small subscription, podcast meetings and provide exclusive content.

I could be wrong but it might not be a shed load of work and, as I was saying at least we have a fans group ready to lobby were things to start going wrong.

dell1
Reserves
Reserves

Post by dell1 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:37 pm

I'd be happy to get involved with others interested in doing this.

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by colymull » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:15 pm

Great idea, especially, as you say, it wouldn’t necessarily be as a fund raiser for the club. Could a travel club be incorporated into it, The like of M & T travel might get on board (excuse the pun!!)
Also a junior Lilywhite club I reckon would go down a storm with the amount of younger fans that are coming through. It may be a lot of extra work but I think would work!

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:17 am

An all-in-1 Supporters Club - so incorporating a Travel Club - makes sense.

A club for primary school kids should be a priority - colouring book, badge, panda with a shirt on... would make a great Christmas present! Get them young!! The family fun day was a great success. My 7 year old has minimal interest in football, yet collecting autographs that day had him absolutely buzzing.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:33 am

The debacle around tickets for the Rovers match, with some being forced to buy for the home sections and others opting not to go as a result, raises again the need to have a voice for supporters.

It seems as though the 'no tickets on sale at the ground' decision only became apparent to the club ticket office late on Friday. Should or could the club have been more proactive around this, including better communication at an earlier stage?

The Champions League pricing is another area where the club could benefit by being able to include a supporters group in their deliberations.

Do we have a Supporter Liaison Officer (SLO) or is that initiative dead?
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Pepsi
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Pepsi » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:40 am

Ez I am sure I heard or read somewhere that our new CEO mentioned that he was looking at something along the lines of a supporters club. Was regarding ticketing.....

The question is....what are people willing to pay to be a member of a (supporters) club and does the money go to the club or is it ring fenced for a bad day etc. What do fans expect in return for their money....priority tickets or more???

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:35 pm

I'd love to be living at home so I could help organise...

This link from the UK gives you a good idea, it would be almost identical here: http://www.fsf.org.uk/latest-news/view/ ... -heres-how

We should absolutely avoid going down the road of a Trust with pretensions of 'saving the club'. What was done in 1999 under the co-op and 2012 under the Trust was admirable, but the idea that a supporters group spending 100 quid or whatever a year could step up if the American ownership goes tits up is a pipe dream. Especially because of Oriel Park. I believe ours should fall under the category "SUPPORTERS' CLUBS AND INDEPENDENT ASSOCIATIONS":
If you’re considering handling money and/or providing services however, it is good practice to formally constitute yourselves by adopting a written constitution and rules and opening a bank account for the organisation. Most supporters’ groups in this category are what are known legally as “unincorporated associations”. That just means they’re not legally registered BUT legally all unincorporated associations have to follow the law and their own rules (provided that the rules don’t conflict with the law).

Most supporters’ organisations which set themselves up to provide an active voice for fans on issues such as ticket prices and allocations, stewarding and policing, kick-off times, and so on are generally known as “independent supporters’ associations”. They are also almost always formally constituted as “unincorporated associations”.
That's all ours needs to be.

A constitution would be prepared. It would need five officers, who the membership elect - Chairperson, Vice Chairperson, Treasurer, Secretary, Supporters Liaison Officer. The Secretary would look after the membership details (GDPR and all that). The SLO would run the social media channels and be tasked with meeting the club. It would be the SLO's job to contact other clubs for matchday info etc etc. Maybe an agreed amount from the membership fee could pay the SLO a small expense - given their job would be the most time consuming. Someone like Gavin McLaughlin might provide material for a monthly or quarterly online newsletter, and hold an interview or article back as an exclusive for it. Some of the membership fee could be used to pay him for it. (I'm a big believer that people should never be asked to do what is their livelihood for free, no matter what the cause).

It would be agreed up front in the constitution that the Supporters Club would adopt the position of the majority of its members, so if something is contentious you'd have an online or emailed vote to come to a decision.

Membership should be nominal and into a paypal account controlled by the Treasurer who is responsible for publishing accounts. Under-12s who join could get a mascot toy and branded stationary. Over 12s just need a membership card and a pin or maybe a mug or something. Although maybe it would be possible to sell some merch, given how easy it is these days to get stuff online.

The club could agree to a discount in the club shop (just 5% or something) as a reward for membership. Maybe the membership card could be a loyalty card for the Lilywhite - get your tenth drink free (be it soft or alcohol).

Anyway I don't think it needs be too complicated. At the end of the day it's a system for forming a collective and identifying a person to speak for that collective to the club.

Pepsi
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Pepsi » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:16 pm

OK risk being set upon here but here is my 5 bobs worth as a member and season ticket holder of a top Bundesliga club...

1. This should be setup and managed by the club itsself. They would agree to a CLO or 2 who are elected by the members and not the club.
2. Monies would go into financing the club, maybe the youth sides....maybe Oriel improvements. Here the CLO would keep an eye on things, so would need the qualification to avoid a FAI repeat.

Fans have to get something in return for their imvestment, could look something like the following:
1. 5% discount on season tickets
2. A limited edition scarf for members/a framed membership certificate combined with a membershipcard/badge/car sticker
3. Priority on ticket sales for away and Euro games. Clearly defined number available per member at launch. If there are more members than tickets....a lottery system with interested members only in it
4. Digital match day programm for all home games
5. Exclusive access to online interviews etc. before they go public

The list goes on......the main point is that the club would have fan details in a database and could then use that for marketing, ticket sales etc. Additionally the fans wouldnt be giving their hard earned cash with the feeling that they are getting nothing in return.

I got/get for my €70 per year the following here in Germany:
A certificate when signing up
Annual membership card
Priority ticket hotline (always busy)/merchandise purchase (kit 48 hours before general sale I think)
A digital match day program for all home games and a members magazine at the end of the season
Access to the clubs premium online TV channel, mostly preseason friendlies or player presentations/interviews