Shamrock Rovers V Dundalk | Fri 1 March | 8pm | Tallaght | Matchday 4

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Shamrock Rovers V Dundalk | Fri 1 March | 8pm | Tallaght | Matchday 4

Post by Ezeikial » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:11 pm

My favourite away trip in recent years, simply because of how much satisfaction and enjoyment I get from our regular victories against them. While there are many decent supporters among them, as a club they seem to have largely cornered the market on arrogance and condescension; it permeates from the top down and from the bottom up!

While it is a tall task given the form we have displayed to date, I expect this group to rise to the occasion on Friday night

Hopefully Jamie McGrath and Sean Murray are fully fit and showing no ill effects from the UCD match

Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Shamrock Rovers V Dundalk | Fri 1 March | 8pm | Tallaght | Matchday 4

Post by El Paso » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:50 pm

It's absolutely essential that Murray and McGrath are both fit to play. Hopefully Gartland was just being rested too. Rovers are beatable at the back and front but that midfield could be incredible if it gets rolling.

I would consider going 4-1-4-1 for this with Shields picking up the midfield runners and Murray and McGrath tasked with winning the midfield battle. Kelly and Duffy on the wings to push their full backs back and open up a gap between defense and midfield.

Rovers will be looking to bounce back from tonight themselves and might look to force it early, which could play into our hands. A very different game than the first three. I doubt we'll have 20 shots again. If we only have one, and it goes in, and it's the one that wins it, that's good enough for me.

dell1
Reserves
Reserves

Post by dell1 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:00 am

They will be looking to bounce back Friday but if Bradley sticks to form he will set up not to lose as another defeat will really rattle them especially in the boardroom. Its very early in the season but the pressure will be on Bradley in a serious way if he loses both the Dublin Derby and the visit of the Champions back to back. With mention of clichés a win with the ropiest of goals will do but put in a performance and really kick off the season and lift confidence is the order of the night! We have a knack of getting under their skin in previous seasons and after Greene being sent off tonight maybe their discipline hasnt improved much this season!?

Robbiedundalk2
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Robbiedundalk2 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:04 pm

Ezeikial wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:11 pm
My favourite away trip in recent years, simply because of how much satisfaction and enjoyment I get from our regular victories against them. While there are many decent supporters among them, as a club they seem to have largely cornered the market on arrogance and condescension; it permeates from the top down and from the bottom up!

While it is a tall task given the form we have displayed to date, I expect this group to rise to the occasion on Friday night

Hopefully Jamie McGrath and Sean Murray are fully fit and showing no ill effects from the UCD match
It’s the hubris associated with Rovers that most people hate and their over exaggerated place within media no matter their form. I don’t know if it is apocryphal but seemingly Philip Greene, the long standing commentator and Rovers fab once said on air the bastards have scored when Dundalk scored in Milltown. 5-2 last season was so good, here’s hoping

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:34 pm

Robbiedundalk2 wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:04 pm
Ezeikial wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:11 pm

It’s the hubris associated with Rovers that most people hate and their over exaggerated place within media no matter their form. I don’t know if it is apocryphal but seemingly Philip Greene, the long standing commentator and Rovers fab once said on air the bastards have scored when Dundalk scored in Milltown. 5-2 last season was so good, here’s hoping
He also - alleged - commentated over a great goalscoring opportunity for Frank O'Neill only the utter the immortal words "The [email protected]'s missed!"

Martin Lawlor80
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:44 pm

El Paso wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:50 pm
It's absolutely essential that Murray and McGrath are both fit to play. Hopefully Gartland was just being rested too. Rovers are beatable at the back and front but that midfield could be incredible if it gets rolling.

I would consider going 4-1-4-1 for this with Shields picking up the midfield runners and Murray and McGrath tasked with winning the midfield battle. Kelly and Duffy on the wings to push their full backs back and open up a gap between defense and midfield.

Rovers will be looking to bounce back from tonight themselves and might look to force it early, which could play into our hands. A very different game than the first three. I doubt we'll have 20 shots again. If we only have one, and it goes in, and it's the one that wins it, that's good enough for me.
I think we definitely need to go back to playing a no. 10 behind Hoban. This is how we’ve been playing for at least 3 years now. We tried something different last night and against Harps and it definitely didn’t work. The game changed when McGrath got up to speed in the 2nd half. If he stays fit and keep Murray in with Shields we should be ok. Flores, like Adjoran, should be introduced gradually in the hope that he can challenge Shields.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:25 pm

Hopefully the line-out is something like this

Rogers
Gannon | Cleary/Gartland* | Hoare | Massey
Sheilds | Murray
D Kelly | McGrath | Duffy
Hoban
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Sneachta
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Sneachta » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:35 pm

That line up looks about right. I'd bring back gartland even though cleary did nothing wrong. Return the captain.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:05 pm

Paul O'Hehir in the Mirror reporting Rovers also have injury doubts for Friday. Presumably Aaron Greene is suspended following his red card against Bohs
Rovers must regroup for Friday’s home clash with Dundalk but Ethan Boyle (hamstring) and Dylan Watts (ankle) are doubts after shipping injuries at Dalymount.
https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer ... y-14056208

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:52 pm

Club suggesting Murray won’t make Friday. Have to say I’d be happy with avoiding defeat now. A win would be a tremendous bonus.

Presume we’ll go with Jarvis alongside Shields; Duffy, McGrath, and between Mountney and Kelly on the right behind Hoban. I wouldn’t play Mountney beside Shields.

cooney
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by cooney » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:14 pm

El Paso wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:52 pm
Club suggesting Murray won’t make Friday. Have to say I’d be happy with avoiding defeat now. A win would be a tremendous bonus.

Presume we’ll go with Jarvis alongside Shields; Duffy, McGrath, and between Mountney and Kelly on the right behind Hoban. I wouldn’t play Mountney beside Shields.

I dont know why, but i feel this could be an attempt at mind games ...

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by colymull » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:21 pm

Hopefully is mind games, we could really do with Murray being fit.
At the minute, Id probably take a draw but would love to beat them, 2 defeats in a row for them would really upset their whole outlook this early in the season and would heap a bit of early pressure on Bradley!!
King Kenny!

Robbiedundalk2
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Robbiedundalk2 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:14 pm

colymull wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:21 pm
At the minute, Id probably take a draw but would love to beat them, 2 defeats in a row for them would really upset their whole outlook this early in the season and would heap a bit of early pressure on Bradley!!
Yes would be a big loss, it is his type of game. Good surface, big crowd. I think he would raise it another level. It is only 3 games but I think most of us agree we may have undervalued Bensons contribution, just looking at goals v rovers from last year, he is a class player if understated. He got lots of grief on this site, in hindsight was harsh. We all need to get massively behind them tomorrow night

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:06 pm

Stephen Bradley:
“Dundalk is a big game; we know they’re a good side. Their team has not changed from last year and they are still the team to beat. We have got a chance to do that tomorrow night.

“We were disappointed on Monday but we moved on. It is gone and we have prepared for Dundalk all week. It is a game we are looking forward to and one I believe we are ready for. The last three games have shown we are ready for it.”

Rovers will have to do without full-back Ethan Boyle for Friday, with Dylan Watts and new signing Orhan Vojic deemed doubtful. As mentioned, Aaron Greene will have to watch from the stands as he was sent-off in the previous game.
http://www.extratime.ie/articles/22413/ ... --dundalk/

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:15 pm

colymull wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:21 pm
Maybe it is just wishful thinking on my part, but it seems to me that James Rogers' tweet reflects the same thought process as you
James Rogers
‏@jamesdundalk

The Dundalk camp reporting that Sean Murray is rated "extremely doubtful" for tomorrow's trip to Tallaght after picking up an injury on Monday evening. They say he is unlikely to recover in time for kick-off.
https://twitter.com/jamesdundalk/status ... 5354677253