Derry City V Dundalk | Fri 15 March | 7:45pm | Ryan McBride Stadium Brandywell | Matchday 6

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Martin Lawlor80
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Derry City V Dundalk | Fri 15 March | 7:45pm | Ryan McBride Stadium Brandywell | Matchday 6

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:23 pm

Ezeikial wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:22 pm
3 Minutes of video highlights

https://www.derryjournal.com/sport/foot ... -1-8851983
Any reports on the game from those who were at it? From the highlights it looked that we were lucky not to concede at least 2. Derry seemed to put a sitter over the bar from a yard out!!

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Re: Derry City V Dundalk | Fri 15 March | 7:45pm | Ryan McBride Stadium Brandywell | Matchday 6

Post by Ezeikial » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:50 am

Martin Lawlor80 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:23 pm
Ezeikial wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:22 pm
3 Minutes of video highlights

https://www.derryjournal.com/sport/foot ... -1-8851983
Any reports on the game from those who were at it? From the highlights it looked that we were lucky not to concede at least 2. Derry seemed to put a sitter over the bar from a yard out!!
The highlights package does not lie!

We struggled to deal with corners and free kicks from McNamee and there was mayhem and confusion in the 6 yard box on at least 3 occasions. The one you mention was when Ally Gilchrist inexplicably put the ball over the bar from a wonky touch in the goalmouth. On top of that Gary Rogers made 2-3 good saves.

While the opening goal went slightly against the run of play, we probably shaded the possession and deserved the win overall. Dean Jarvis' miss was possibly even more glaring than the Derry one in the first half. Solid rather than spectacular performance is my summary
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:26 pm

I would say it was a capable performance, some lapses in defence as mentioned above by Ezeikial, but overall I'd say we managed the game well, 3-0 would have flattered us, but what a pity Jarvis didn't finish that superb move / run by Duffy, he took it from well inside his own half.

The pleasing thing is since Shields went out, for the Waterford game and v Derry, we have not lost much ground in the middle. I think Murray has stepped up big time with crucial goals in each game, and Hoare has done well patrolling things in front of the back four.

I still don't thing there is a side that we need to be worried about, remember Rovers were at home, we had 4 out and they still couldn't scored against us.

Imagine the options we'll have when the likes of McEleney and Benson come back for attacking threat and Shields for what he does and Mountney for right sided choices. It also shows the benefit of having 4 central defenders, Cleary has just slotted in there with Gartland, seamlessly. The other huge plus is clean sheets, thats 3 in a row now, two v sides who will be looking to qualify for europe, and another tricky away trip (Derry).

Final thought, I have to say I underestimated a little the replacements, Murray as I said has stepped up, can't see him losing his spot when the others come back, Flores put in a very a good shift v Waterford, Dummigan looks a strong option, and McKee also looked ok when he came on v Rovers. On those who are closer to the first team at the minute, young Dan Kelly has been consistent in most games, prob needs to build himself up more, and he possibly wouldn't have expected to have started so many at this stage, but he has done a good job, looks focused too. I heard Jarvis wasn't great away to Harps, but he did a decent job when he came on for Murray on Friday.

Overall, and even with the few out, I'd say we are almost in 'rude health'

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:13 pm

I don't think that this Gavin McLaughlin interview with Sean Murray after the Derry match was previously linked

https://twitter.com/DundalkSport/status ... 3248320512
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Sneachta
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Sneachta » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:51 pm

Gavin is definitely getting better at not looking over his shoulder in case someone is going to jump him Lacey's car park

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk