Dundalk Underage 13s 15s 17s and 19s

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Sneachta
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 927
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:01 pm

Dundalk Underage 13s 15s 17s and 19s

Post by Sneachta » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:02 am

I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread on our underage set up and potential players for the future.

Only a couple of games in and bohs look very strong at all levels. Looks like their link with Kevin's boys is paying dividends already.

Any local stars for the future? I know there's a goalkeeper for ardee celtic at u14 who I wouldn't be surprised if he went all the way. Have watched him since u10s. Real quality chap. Can't remember his name.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk




superman
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:56 pm

Re: Dundalk Underage 13s 15s 17s and 19s

Post by superman » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:28 pm

I wonder if the owners are planning on investing in the youth structures at the club, as our stature of senior club isn't being reflected in the underage set up. Really, we should be the most attractive team in the country for young players to come to, both for offering stabilty in growth and senior success.

I don't know the ins and outs of the set up, so its hard to comment but for me, but it is dissapointing to have no ex youth players in the senior squad. This kind of signals short term success. While Dundalk has a small population, we are not far from Dublin while also have a huge catchment area in Meath/Monaghan/Cavan so I think we can find and develop some players.

Underage is where the league can develop massively as less and less top english clubs take young Irish players means we can develop them here and give them senior experiance, before letting them move on (which would allow the players to get an education and also mature themseleves), I just hope the club does not allow the Dublin teams to start developing this side way ahead of us, and then playing catch up.

Do we have a specialised 'head of youth development'? Or is this rolled into another job?
Dundalk F.C : complaining about refs since 1903

User avatar
El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 2547
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:33 pm

Re: Dundalk Underage 13s 15s 17s and 19s

Post by El Paso » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:58 pm

We won four League Titles in five years with a manager who paid no attention to developing youth players (ironic, given his new role). A good academy requires massive amounts of investment with no guarantee of return and no evidence that it leads to more success in the long run than signing the products of much bigger academies.

The Dublin LOI clubs also have the benefit of being able to tap into Dublin schoolboy set-ups that completely dwarf anything in our catchment area. Bohs have a tight deal with Kevin's; Pats have something similar with Crumlin and Cherry Orchard. Ours is with Malahide, which at least makes north County Dublin available to us.

Personally the locals thing or youth coming through is a nice to have, but I can't say I cared for a split second when we were ripping it up in the Europa League or winning two Doubles.

We have commitments in terms of the four underage Leagues, and we absolutely should develop good relationships with clubs in our natural catchment area to ensure their best players join our underage set-up and develop with us. I hope it's a lot more than just a box-ticking exercise. But the first team should always be the overwhelming priority.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 5351
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:00 am

Re: Dundalk Underage 13s 15s 17s and 19s

Post by Ezeikial » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:23 pm

superman wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:28 pm
Really, we should be the most attractive team in the country for young players to come to, both for offering stabilty in growth and senior success.
superman wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:28 pm
I don't know the ins and outs of the set up, so its hard to comment but for me, but it is dissapointing to have no ex youth players in the senior squad.
Part of the answer to why we are not the most attractive team in the country for young players lies in your observation that we have almost no recent track record of developing players or providing first team opportunities for emerging talent.

While involvement in the National Leagues may have slowed down the traditional talent drain going from local schoolboy clubs to the major Dublin schoolboy clubs, there is no evidence that there is a clear strategy to attract and develop the top young players in the country. Maybe the investment required is not a priority for the club currently, but it would certainly be interesting to hear Mike Treacy's views on this.
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Sneachta
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 927
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:01 pm

Re: Dundalk Underage 13s 15s 17s and 19s

Post by Sneachta » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:10 am

Our u13s took a heavy beating against Kildare league. Don't ever remember getting beaten like that even when I played 25/30 years ago. Is that the best our league has to offer at u13?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk


User avatar
niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 6016
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:47 pm
Location: dundalk
Contact:

Re: Dundalk Underage 13s 15s 17s and 19s

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:25 pm

Sneachta wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:10 am
Our u13s took a heavy beating against Kildare league. Don't ever remember getting beaten like that even when I played 25/30 years ago. Is that the best our league has to offer at u13?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk
Don't know the score but come on sneactha you are slating off 12 year old children ffs. Catch a grip will you. They are children. I am an athletics coach and it isn't about winning at that age. It's about nurturing their talent slowly. Do you want the next Chris shields at 12 or when he is 20?
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

Sneachta
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 927
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:01 pm

Re: Dundalk Underage 13s 15s 17s and 19s

Post by Sneachta » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:48 pm

I see how that might have sounded. That's not what I'm saying/intended to say. Absolutely the elite leagues are about player development pathways. 7-2 is a heavy defeat for our schoolboy league. I thought we would be a lot closer at that age group even though we would have a lot more Dundalk schoolboy players on the 13s then maybe the 17/19s. The Kildare league never struck me as a particularly strong league ever. That's all I was saying.

I actually quit coaching my gaa clubs 12s/14s because I didn't agree with so many young chaps missing out on football because the club wanted one team to win all. We had enough lads for three teams in the parish. Their adult team are paying the price now.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk


Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 5351
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:00 am

Re: Dundalk Underage 13s 15s 17s and 19s

Post by Ezeikial » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:00 pm

niall_hearty2000 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:25 pm
Sneachta wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:10 am
Our u13s took a heavy beating against Kildare league. Don't ever remember getting beaten like that even when I played 25/30 years ago. Is that the best our league has to offer at u13?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk
Don't know the score but come on sneactha you are slating off 12 year old children ffs. Catch a grip will you. They are children. I am an athletics coach and it isn't about winning at that age. It's about nurturing their talent slowly. Do you want the next Chris shields at 12 or when he is 20?
I don't think he is "slating" anyone by noting they suffered a heavy defeat and querying if the players represent the best available.

I do agree with you completely when you say it is about development more than winning at this age group.

It is far from clear to me if the policy is to recruit players from the local league only or whether the net is cast wider in the region, including Northern Ireland, to recruit the best prospects possible. Like many Dundalk fans I'd be very interested to hear the clubs vision for developing youth talent
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1624
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:24 pm

Re: Dundalk Underage 13s 15s 17s and 19s

Post by oldfogey » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:44 pm

Sneachta wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:48 pm
I see how that might have sounded. That's not what I'm saying/intended to say. Absolutely the elite leagues are about player development pathways. 7-2 is a heavy defeat for our schoolboy league. I thought we would be a lot closer at that age group even though we would have a lot more Dundalk schoolboy players on the 13s then maybe the 17/19s. The Kildare league never struck me as a particularly strong league ever. That's all I was saying.

I actually quit coaching my gaa clubs 12s/14s because I didn't agree with so many young chaps missing out on football because the club wanted one team to win all. We had enough lads for three teams in the parish. Their adult team are paying the price now.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk
The u13s are NOT a representative side from Dundalk Schoolboys League. All four Dundalk Academy sides (13s/15s/17s/19s) are players who have signed - and train exclusively - for the club. The Kildare side IS a representative side. As underage defeats go, it's not that bad. Conceding 7+ and not scoring is more of a problem.

There is an opinion that that kids that age shouldn't be playing in a National League representing top flight clubs, but that's a legacy of John Delaney's desire to wrest control away from the Schoolboy Clubs.

Sneachta
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 927
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:01 pm

Re: Dundalk Underage 13s 15s 17s and 19s

Post by Sneachta » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:09 pm

Again, error on my clarity.

Lots of the players on the team are from the school boys league though, which is reflective of standards in fairness. As far as I'm aware nearly all of next year's 15s are from the schoolboy league as 3 or 4 are from my own nephews school boy team. Yes they will leave their schoolboy club and train exclusively with Dundalk next season. I am not trying to have an argument with anyone here and I'm not trying to antagonise in any way!


While Delaney is not flavour of the month, trying to "wrest control" from a 4/5 schoolboy clubs that have controlled youth football in this country for decades is not necessarily a bad thing. I would suggest even Brian Kerr would agree with that.

The results from the 17s/19s game? The 17s were leading 2-0.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk


DundalkChampions
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:25 pm

Re: Dundalk Underage 13s 15s 17s and 19s

Post by DundalkChampions » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:55 am

This years U-15 squad has 4 players from Dundalk and everyone else is from Dublin.

DundalkChampions
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:25 pm

Re: Dundalk Underage 13s 15s 17s and 19s

Post by DundalkChampions » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:56 am

Sneachta wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:09 pm
Again, error on my clarity.

Lots of the players on the team are from the school boys league though, which is reflective of standards in fairness. As far as I'm aware nearly all of next year's 15s are from the schoolboy league as 3 or 4 are from my own nephews school boy team. Yes they will leave their schoolboy club and train exclusively with Dundalk next season. I am not trying to have an argument with anyone here and I'm not trying to antagonise in any way!


While Delaney is not flavour of the month, trying to "wrest control" from a 4/5 schoolboy clubs that have controlled youth football in this country for decades is not necessarily a bad thing. I would suggest even Brian Kerr would agree with that.

The results from the 17s/19s game? The 17s were leading 2-0.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk
Only 4 of this years U-15 are from Dundalk. Dundalk have the pick of North Dublin with Malahide selection. Only the best ones from Dundalk next year will be on it

User avatar
seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 2596
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2002 12:35 pm
Location: D'Shed

Re: Dundalk Underage 13s 15s 17s and 19s

Post by seand » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:19 am

We have a massive problem with catchment area, whatever way you deal with it. Unless we have a link-up with Malahide or another Dublin club we're restricted to a radius of something like 40km (I think?). The Dublin clubs have access to an area with about 1.5million population, ours is hardly 200k. If you lean heavily on Malahide to leverage Dublin you have a disconnect with the locality, if you restrict yourself to greater Dundalk you're picking from a small pool. It's difficult, then you look at Rovers with their €2m+ facility (half paid by the FAI) and you wonder if it's worth the bother of even trying to compete.

It's interesting to note that Brentford decided to jack in their youth structure altogether in recent years and focus instead on picking up players developed elsewhere.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 5351
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:00 am

Re: Dundalk Underage 13s 15s 17s and 19s

Post by Ezeikial » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:46 pm

seand wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:19 am
We have a massive problem with catchment area, whatever way you deal with it. Unless we have a link-up with Malahide or another Dublin club we're restricted to a radius of something like 40km (I think?).
The 'radius rule' has been highly controversial in the past with Dublin schoolboy clubs like St Kevins and Belvedere attracting players from as far away as Limerick, Galway and Derry andblissfully ignoring any restrictions.

I don't know what the current rule is, but the attached article from 2018 makes reference to

" the double-standard on applying the controversial 80km radius rule nationally"
https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer ... 17393.html
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

User avatar
seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 2596
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2002 12:35 pm
Location: D'Shed

Re: Dundalk Underage 13s 15s 17s and 19s

Post by seand » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:35 pm

If 80km is the magic number we should be setting up an 'official' training ground in mid-Louth... that's bring all of greater Dublin into range!

Post Reply