Online Tickets

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

punkha
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Online Tickets

Post by punkha » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:23 am

Anybody else experiencing the frustration of trying to buy stand tickets online?
What looked like a great idea seems to be redundant there seems to be that few available.
Already all stand tickets for the Cork match are saying sold out a full week before the match?
All games this season have been the same including no tickets for the Monday night fixture v UCD available from the Thursday beforehand for a game in which the stand was barely over half full?

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Online Tickets

Post by seand » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:21 am

Season tickets account for a huge chunk of the stand which has a capacity of what 1,000 maybe? Plus there's a section for away fans and a section for sponsors/guests. If a small number are kept back for sale on the night it's not surprising that few or none are available online, unfortunately. Stand tickets always sell out fast in Oriel

Regarding UCD, it does seem a bit odd, but again season tickets automatically account for over half the stand, whether the owner turns up or not

punkha
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by punkha » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:26 pm

Yeah point taken about Season Tickets etc i suppose if they're keeping a large portion back for the night that explains it. Personally if tickets are on sale in this day and age then i think they should be available through all channels and then whatever is left is sold on the night.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:05 pm

punkha wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:26 pm
Yeah point taken about Season Tickets etc i suppose if they're keeping a large portion back for the night that explains it. Personally if tickets are on sale in this day and age then i think they should be available through all channels and then whatever is left is sold on the night.
I can see no justification for holding tickets back from online sales to have them available for walk-ups.

With the possible exception of away tickets I would be surprised if that were actually the case
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

punkha
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by punkha » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:51 pm

Looks like somebody saw the thread as they are now available for the Cork match online.
You could only guess that they must be setting the figure available online very low either intentionally or by default.

Martin Lawlor80
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:05 pm

Ezeikial wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:05 pm
punkha wrote:
I can see no justification for holding tickets back from online sales to have them available for walk-ups.

With the possible exception of away tickets I would be surprised if that were actually the case
Well it looks like that has been happening. I’ve tried to buy stand tickets online for the last 2 matches but as Punka says , they’ve been sold out. However I’ve had no problem buying them at Oriel 5 mins before kickoff

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:48 am

Martin Lawlor80 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:05 pm
Ezeikial wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:05 pm
punkha wrote:

Well it looks like that has been happening. I’ve tried to buy stand tickets online for the last 2 matches but as Punka says , they’ve been sold out. However I’ve had no problem buying them at Oriel 5 mins before kickoff
That appears to be a ridiculous system. Apart from undermining their own system and irritating supporters, effectively the club is turning down the opportunity to sell a ticket early in the hope that they will sell it later.
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by seand » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:23 pm

I suspect they're worried about some sort of 'backlash' from grumpy oul locals who are used to rolling up on the night and getting their preferred ticket. I guess you could argue that they're protecting the older, less tech-savvy generation who can't or won't buy online, but if they're available to buy from the ground during the week AND online then nobody can really complain if they miss out

Martin Lawlor80
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:10 am

seand wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:23 pm
I suspect they're worried about some sort of 'backlash' from grumpy oul locals who are used to rolling up on the night and getting their preferred ticket. I guess you could argue that they're protecting the older, less tech-savvy generation who can't or won't buy online, but if they're available to buy from the ground during the week AND online then nobody can really complain if they miss out
I think the point is that the online tickets are being shown as sold out nearly immediately after they are supposed to go on sale. Online Stand tickets for the Cork game should not be classed as sold out 8 days before the match if they really aren’t sold out. I mean is OP making like 50 tickets available online and selling the rest at the ground ?

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:33 am

seand wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:23 pm
Trying to look after 'grumpy oul locals' is laudable, but perhaps fairly pointless in the long run.

If there is a shortage of tickets, it's not possible to satisfy everyone, but it is possible to give everyone an equal opportunity to buy tickets and give them a convenient way of doing so.

It's about educating people and facilitating them to change habits. If tickets are available for advance purchase from the Oriel Park ticket office as well as online, and the stand sells out prior to match day as a consequence, people will quickly change buying habits.

Ryanair selling only online at a time when a small percentage were tech enabled is a classic example of how this works.

All of this is assuming that the club are committed to growing online sales as opposed to the more uncertain and labour intensive pay-at-the-ground model

GC.
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by GC. » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:48 am

Could it be to ensure that away supporters are not able to buy tickets for the Dundalk section of the stand?

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:08 am

GC. wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:48 am
Could it be to ensure that away supporters are not able to buy tickets for the Dundalk section of the stand?
Possibly, but the evidence of the UCD match mentioned previously suggests otherwise

Whatever about the rationale being employed, limiting tickets online does not prevent away purchases

Obviously away supporters can currently access whenever limited numbers are put up online. Similarly if an away supporters rocks up without colours they can buy any available ticket on the night.