Dundalk V Bohemians | Mon 15 April | 7.45pm | Oriel Park | Matchday 10

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Dundalk V Bohemians | Mon 15 April | 7.45pm | Oriel Park | Matchday 10

Post by El Paso » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:52 pm

So after a strange opening quarter of the season where we suffered a rotten run of bad injuries, yet were unbeaten; reasonably comfortable, yet struggling in front of goal, here we are after two bad, unexpected defeats with a critical match that we have to win or the League will entirely depend on Rovers collapsing.

Bohs have been mostly very impressive going about their business. Hopefully two trips in a short period of time will affect them.

Hard to pinpoint exactly what needs to change. I’d start Hoare and Cleary at the back and consider going 4-4-2 with Kelly alongside Hoban, Mountney on the right and McGrath and AN Other in an orthodox midfield.

We’ve had blips in April/May before - last year we lost two and drew one in four, the year before we lost three out of four games. One ended a season, the other didn’t.

Robbiedundalk2
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Dundalk V Bohemians | Mon 15 April | 7.45pm | Oriel Park | Matchday 10

Post by Robbiedundalk2 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:01 pm

I can’t wait to get to Oriel on Monday and shout my head off. I have not seen enough of McKee missed the EA and also last nights games, verdict? Seemingly Murray did go off injured so it could be the return of Shields. Carpe Diem

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:51 pm

Team news

Robbie Benson is ruled out with a broken leg once more while Patrick McEleney has stepped up his recovery from a broken metatarsal however he isn’t ready to return to action just yet. Chris Shields is also not ready for a return and Sean Murray joins the injured list after Friday. Sean Hoare will undergo a late fitness test.
https://www.dundalkfc.com/47039-2/
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:57 pm

If Sean Murray and Chris Shields are not available, I'd go with this line up

Rogers
Gannon | Gartland | Cleary | Massey
Jarvis | McKee
Mountney | McGrath | Duffy
Hoban

If Sean Hoare is fully fit he could come in at centre back with Gartland dropping to the bench
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Robbiedundalk2
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Robbiedundalk2 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:02 pm

Ezeikial wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:57 pm
If Sean Murray and Chris Shields are not available, I'd go with this line up

Rogers
Gannon | Gartland | Cleary | Massey
Jarvis | McKee
Mountney | McGrath | Duffy
Hoban

If Sean Hoare is fully fit he could come in at centre back with Gartland dropping to the bench
How was McKee on Friday and in the EA, is he any good?

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:33 pm

Midfield had more balance when Joe McKee came in on Friday, although he remains unproven. If Murray is out either McKee or Flores would have to come it. McKee probably gets the nod for me, simply because he has disappointed less!

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by dundalkfc1903 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:54 pm

I think the best thing to do is not play any of the central midfielders signed as cover, but pláy more defenders out of position, because that's continuity... Jarvis Gannon massey and Hoare in midfield, Gartland up front. Go with what you know and trust

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:04 pm

Friday was the first real cock up of the season in my book. The team selected to play Pats was probably fair enough given the run of wins. But after that result it was clear some changes were required.

When we’re so short of midfielders I’d rather tweak the system than plug the gaps with lads out of position.

4-4-2 for me, Kelly up top with Hoban and Duffy, McGrath, McKee, Mountney across the middle. Our 4-2-3-1 should not be religious dogma - there were plenty of times the last couple of seasons where individual quality from Duffy or McEleney covered up for an inability to open teams up.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:41 pm

dundalkfc1903 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:54 pm
I think the best thing to do is not play any of the central midfielders signed as cover, but pláy more defenders out of position, because that's continuity... Jarvis Gannon massey and Hoare in midfield, Gartland up front. Go with what you know and trust
Easy to say what you don't want, but what is your preferred team?

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by seand » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:07 pm

Ezeikial wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:51 pm
Team news

Robbie Benson is ruled out with a broken leg once more while Patrick McEleney has stepped up his recovery from a broken metatarsal however he isn’t ready to return to action just yet. Chris Shields is also not ready for a return and Sean Murray joins the injured list after Friday. Sean Hoare will undergo a late fitness test.
https://www.dundalkfc.com/47039-2/
Good God the midfield injury crisis is getting worse, not better. Time for a step up in performance all round, hopefully a home match on a good quick pitch will help

bigalan
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by bigalan » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:11 pm

Big one tonight. Weve been in worse positions and we still have a great chance to get back in touch. With Bohs tonight, Harps on Friday and UCD away next Monday, and of course Shamrock Rovers come to town on Friday week. 3 very winnable matches this side of Rovers. Remember, we were unbeaten only just over a week ago and had a few very decent wins before our two defeats. Paddy Power are only quoting 13/10 for Dundalk to win the league and 8/11 Rovers, crazy odds for a team 13 points clear!!!

Get behind the lads tonight and lets get this challenge back on track!!

Cmon The Town

DundalkChampions
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by DundalkChampions » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:35 pm

El Paso wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:52 pm
So after a strange opening quarter of the season where we suffered a rotten run of bad injuries, yet were unbeaten; reasonably comfortable, yet struggling in front of goal, here we are after two bad, unexpected defeats with a critical match that we have to win or the League will entirely depend on Rovers collapsing.

Bohs have been mostly very impressive going about their business. Hopefully two trips in a short period of time will affect them.

Hard to pinpoint exactly what needs to change. I’d start Hoare and Cleary at the back and consider going 4-4-2 with Kelly alongside Hoban, Mountney on the right and McGrath and AN Other in an orthodox midfield.

We’ve had blips in April/May before - last year we lost two and drew one in four, the year before we lost three out of four games. One ended a season, the other didn’t.
If we lose tonight and win every other game this season, We win the league so id calm down a bit

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:01 pm

DundalkChampions wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:35 pm
El Paso wrote:

If we lose tonight and win every other game this season, We win the league so id calm down a bit
Explain that to me will you.... we are 13 behind with 2 games in hand. Lose tonight we are still 13 behind with 1 game in hand. Win it we are 10 behind level... so we play rovers 3 more times.. we win them we are 1 point behind them level on games. So winning every other game does not mean we would win the game. Because even if rovers lose all 3 times to us, if they won the rest of their games and we won every game we would still not win the league
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

DundalkChampions
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by DundalkChampions » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:04 pm

niall_hearty2000 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:01 pm
DundalkChampions wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:35 pm
El Paso wrote:

Explain that to me will you.... we are 13 behind with 2 games in hand. Lose tonight we are still 13 behind with 1 game in hand. Win it we are 10 behind level... so we play rovers 3 more times.. we win them we are 1 point behind them level on games. So winning every other game does not mean we would win the game. Because even if rovers lose all 3 times to us, if they won the rest of their games and we won every game we would still not win the league
You said we have to win. We could draw

So yes I am right

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:47 pm

I had discounted us going on a 26 match winning streak, it’s true.

Anyway apparently SO’D has seen every Bohs game this season in his new role. Hopefully we’ll see the benefits of thst tonight!