UCD V Dundalk | Mon 22 April | 3pm | UCD Bowl | Matchday 12

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

UCD V Dundalk | Mon 22 April | 3pm | UCD Bowl | Matchday 12

Post by Ezeikial » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:23 am

Although UCD were beaten 3-0 by Bohs, by all accounts they dominated large parts of the possession. Undoubtedly a difficult test for our walking wounded and some big selection decisions to be made.

The Finn Harps result and strong second half performance will have added some additional confidence to the team.

Perhaps it is time to give Georgie Kelly a start. It could do him the power of good and perhaps give Patrick Hoban the benefit of being rested

Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Sneachta
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: UCD V Dundalk | Mon 22 April | 3pm | UCD Bowl | Matchday 12

Post by Sneachta » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:47 pm

I would agree absolutely yes but considering last night's reaction it's hard to know whether his mindset will be up to it after his reaction last night. Could go either way for him. He definitely deserves a start but UCD are very good. So no room for complacency.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

Sneachta
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Sneachta » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:11 am

The two day turnaround might be an advantage for us in terms of fitness as conditioning

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:14 am

No team news on the website.

Any thoughts on likely or preferred line up?
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Robbiedundalk2
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Robbiedundalk2 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:36 pm

Ezeikial wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:14 am
No team news on the website.

Any thoughts on likely or preferred line up?
Same as Friday apart from Georgie Kelly for Hoban. Not that Hoban has been bad but I would like to see him rested for Friday. Shields and Fats need game time and looked fresh last Friday and we need the 3 points today to build momentum for this Friday.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:38 pm

Listening on the radio sounded like a solid victory. Never really in doubt I think. Couple of lapses at the back let them in. Hopefully we’ll tighten up for Friday.

Interesting that Kelly has more goals from play in 10 minutes - one - than Hoban has in six or seven games. To be fair UCD were already beaten when he got it, but the drought is a problem.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:55 pm

An excellent win and a very solid performance. One that inspires increased confidence ahead of next Friday's challenge. We dominated the match in a way that we have not done over the last 4 matches (with the exception of the second half against Harps)

We should have won more comfortably and at 2-1 there was always a fear that UCD would snatch a draw.

It is a joy to see Chris Shields and Patrick McEleney doing their thing and it emphasised once again how much we have missed them

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:59 pm

El Paso wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:38 pm

Interesting that Kelly has more goals from play in 10 minutes - one - than Hoban has in six or seven games. To be fair UCD were already beaten when he got it, but the drought is a problem.
Although Georgie Kelly only got 10 minutes his performance and goal must add to his confidence and puts some pressure on Patrick Hoban and the management team. He took his goal really well.

Patrick Hoban had a good game and could easily have ended up with a hatrick. He headed straight at the keeper in the first half when it looked easier to score and the penalty claim where he was booked for simulation looked like a nailed on peno to me

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:03 pm

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:11 pm

Fun Fact - Today we had Player numbers 1 - 12 inclusive all on the pitch at some point over the 90 minutes. (27 Daniel Kelly & 33 Dean Jarvis the others). I can't recall that happening in recent years

dell1
Reserves
Reserves

Post by dell1 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:24 pm

We certainly cant complain on not getting penalty decision and its what is keeping Hoban ticking over. It's a strange one, he is getting the chances, he isnt missing absolute sitters, its more that he needs a slice of luck like keepers not pulling off supersaves. If he gets a couple from open play then he will start racking them up I feel. If it doesnt start working for him at what point do you start putting Kelly in to start. It has to be very frustrating for him at the moment playing a bit part when your starting striker has only one goal from open play.

We get plenty of comment on our pitch but the pitch today was in poor condition, unusual for the UCD Bowl in recent times and would certainly impact negatively considering their style of play. Shields and McEleney are looking very fresh so there could be a bit of a silver lining there in the time they have been out during such a packed schedule. The break could stand to them when European games are added in to the mix and for the run in. Now isnt the time for Bohs to drop their dominance in the Dublin Derby - if Rovers drop points tomorrow and we win Friday it puts a real dent in their momentum and confidence and they will be looking over their shoulders. How quickly things can change in a week if results go our way with a potential swing from a 13 point gap or 4.
The Derry result that was looking like a good 3 for them points suits us nicely too. Cork's relegation worries persist with their home draw with Sligo. Theres a whole lot more discontent with Caulfield and co among their supporters now with their lack of creating chances never mind scoring a serious concern for them. I didnt think Harps would be doomed so early in the season as I thought they would at least be picking up points at home.

Robbiedundalk2
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Robbiedundalk2 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:42 pm

Thought we had a very good first half, missed some clear chances. Second half our passing was off and we looked like we were lacking in energy. Could be we were playing within ourselves. Fats looks more on it than Shields who while bringing lots to the team still looks a yard or two short of his best. I was hoping Georgie would start but glad he got the goal. Hoban not doing bad but just not sticking them away. I know it was only five minutes for Flores but some nice touches. Dan Kelly looked knackered. The young centre back for UCD number 4 we are looking at looked quality very assured on the ball. We will need to up it for Friday when the atmosphere will be very different. We are well capable but everyone needs to go up a notch and performance resemble the Cork one from last October then we will win

Martin Lawlor80
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Martin Lawlor80 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:02 pm

Good performance today but we shouldn’t have given the goal up, Garts seemed to go walkabout and left a huge hole in the Centre. McEleney and Duffy did very well and so did Dan Kelly. He never stopped running until he was taken off. He looks to be finding some form now but it’ll difficult against rovers. Flores and Georgie did v well for their ten mins.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:27 pm

Just as an FYI today is the 20th anniversary of the defeat against UCD in Oriel that confirmed a broken club's first relegation.

Reporter cub Dan McDonnell's match report on the original Oriel Web is here: http://homepage.tinet.ie/~chip/ucd3.html

We should never, never forget where we've come from.

dell1
Reserves
Reserves

Post by dell1 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:59 pm

El Paso wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:27 pm
Just as an FYI today is the 20th anniversary of the defeat against UCD in Oriel that confirmed a broken club's first relegation.

Reporter cub Dan McDonnell's match report on the original Oriel Web is here: http://homepage.tinet.ie/~chip/ucd3.html

We should never, never forget where we've come from.
I agree totally on this. Back as far as playing Ajax in Europe in front of not a couple of thousand showed an apathy rooted in regular success and that regular European nights were almost a formality for us. Winning the league on the last day of the season in '95 again in front of a very poor crowd where few would have thought relegation was around the corner along with almost a decade of 1st Division hell. Hopefully such complacency will never set in again but I'd like to see year on year increases in average crowds rather than the current trend of it dropping albeit marginally yearly. A change to who we are battling for the league and a close title race may not be good for the heart but it could generate some additional interest from the floating fan types. There is likely to be higher away support in Oriel from Rovers than Cork which will add some bite and atmosphere in Oriel starting Friday night. I'd hope the attendance will well break the 3000 mark!