Waterford V Dundalk | Mon 29 Apr | 7.45pm | RSC | Matchday 14

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Waterford V Dundalk | Mon 29 Apr | 7.45pm | RSC | Matchday 14

Post by Ezeikial » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:08 pm

Waterford got a decent point away to Bohs on Friday night and will be well motivated to try to close the gap to get in contention for a European spot in the top four.

Our form has been excellent, particularly over the last couple of games and unless injury or fatigue plays a big part, we should be well able to get the 3 points in Waterford.

Will VP rotate some of the players with Gartland, Jarvis, Mountney, Flores, McKee and Georgie Kelly all looking for starts?

Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Sneachta
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Waterford V Dundalk | Mon 29 Apr | 7.45pm | RSC | Matchday 14

Post by Sneachta » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:53 pm

I think he might tweek very little especially with Derry Friday night.

Jarvis and Flores/McKee might be about it.

Gannon was carrying a knock from what I could see for a good half hour last night so Dummigan could be called in there?

Kelly for Hoban? Doubtful IMO

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:00 pm

Team news

Robbie Benson is out once again as he continues his recovery from a broken leg. Sean Murray and Stephen Folan also remain out with groin and knee injuries respectively.

https://www.dundalkfc.com/team-news-vs-waterford-5/
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:03 pm

Waterford website preview

Waterford FC continue their busy schedule this Monday at the RSC as the Blues play host to Dundalk.

After an impressive performance in Dalymount Park on Friday last, the Blues return to the RSC hoping to build on their four-game unbeaten run.

Despite dominating the game in Dalymount on Friday night, and weathering a late Bohs storm, the Blues were unable to break down the Bohemians back four to find a way past keeper Talbot, in what was a well-earned point against the high-flying Bohs.

Dundalk come into the game on the back of a 2-1 victory over league leaders Shamrock Rovers in Oriel Park on Friday night. Goals from Patrick Hoban and Michael Duffy saw the Lilywhite take all three points.

The sides last met back in March in Oriel Park, when Dundalk took all three points in a 4-0 win.

After last weekend’s fixtures, Waterford FC sit in 6th position in the league; while Dundalk move up to second, four points off the leaders.

Managers View: Speaking ahead of the visit of Dundalk on Monday, manager Alan Reynolds said:

“I thought, bar for the last five minutes, we shaded it, and could have won it had we put a bit more pressure on [versus Bohs]. We were away from home and we kept a clean sheet, and I think if we had been a little bit better in the final third we could have won that.

“I’m sure they’ll (Dundalk) be flying. They seem to like coming to the RSC; last year they won one comfortably and then we won one, so we’re looking forward to the battle.

“We need the supporters to get out, like against Cork, when they came out and were like a 12th man.”

Team News: Kenny Browne, Dean Walsh, Kevin Lynch and Karolis Chvedukas miss out.

https://www.waterfordfc.ie/match-previe ... 9-04-2019/

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:18 pm

Same team probably although he might consider Jarvis for Massey and maybe Flores for Kelly to give him a rest.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:12 pm

Sean Gannon was carrying a knock from before the second goal and asked to come off more than once. Might a good time to give Dummigan a run out.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:08 pm

It's hard to find the right home for this article form David Sneyd in the Times Ireland - but this one is probably as good as any as it make a fleeting reference to tonight's match

Why Dundalk have not only been delivering on the pitch
A spate of new arrivals has had a major effect on players’ attitudes

The exit strategy was thought out and finalised. Just one less thing for Chris Shields to worry about as the Dundalk midfielder prepared for last November’s FAI Cup final against Cork City.

Usually in the build-up to the showpiece of the season, the biggest distraction for players tends to centre around arranging tickets for friends and family. Shields, though, had much more pressing matters to attend to.

With Shauna, his partner, due to give birth to their first child 48 hours after the visit to Aviva Stadium, the Dubliner even had to keep his emergency plans under wraps from Stephen Kenny, the former Dundalk manager.

A trusted member of staff had been briefed and his mobile phone was set to be on hand on the bench in case the call came. “Shauna was too far gone to be in the ground,” Shields recalled. “So the idea was for my mam to park up around the financial district, her sister works there so had a space that we could use. Then I was going to get a taxi — or even run if I had to — to the car and get up the road to Belfast.”

It did not come to that in the end. Instead, Shields was informed in late October that Shauna was in labour while he waited to be interviewed in Dublin city centre for the LOI Weekly podcast after receiving a nomination for PFA Ireland player of the year.

“Shauna knew I was doing the interview so when her number came up on the phone I knew something was up. Her waters broke while she was up in Bangor [where they live together] on a spa day so at least she was surrounded by towels anyway.”

This was not the only dramatic maternity-related moment involving the club last season. Dundalk were in the midst of their own mini baby boom as their historic league and cup-winning campaign was drawing to a close.

Defenders Dean Jarvis and Dane Massey’s partners also gave birth, with the latter enduring the added worry of his daughter arriving five weeks premature. “It was scary, of course, but it is the greatest feeling in the word,” said Massey, who celebrated winning the FAI Cup by placing her in the trophy.

“It’s a great time in our lives, we are all going through this same phase in our lives and we are going through it together. We are a close-knit group but how the conversations have changed,” he laughed.

“We were all talking about PlayStation before, now it’s about where we can get the cheapest nappies, how long you were up last night with them and how many teeth they have coming through.

“Seán Gannon is buying a house and he has everyone’s head wrecked asking for advice about this and that, but if we can help with our own experiences then we will. If I can give a bit of advice I will do it.

“We’re that close. We’ve been through so much together on the pitch and this now is something else for us to get to grips with together.”

It is a sentiment rooted in truth. Both Massey and Shields had daughters — Georgia and Evie celebrated seven and six-month milestones, respectively, over the weekend — and the duo encapsulate the essence of the club, which had been re-shaped by Kenny prior to his departure to the FAI last year.

Shields preceded his arrival in 2013 and Massey was one of the first glut of new signings. Four Premier Division titles — including two league and FAI Cup doubles — followed along with that historic Europa League campaign in 2016.

Massey turned 31 earlier this month, while Shields is still only 28 and embracing far greater responsibilities now he is a parent. “Everything you do now is for them. I remember everyone saying, ‘your life won’t be the same again’ and I was thinking ‘give over, you’re getting too emotionally involved’. But it really is. Especially in the League of Ireland. There’s no paternity leave for us boys. We don’t get two weeks off.

“I was lucky that Evie came a week before the off-season and I was off for two months so we had that time together. It was very special. Very few fathers get that so I was lucky in that sense.

“You can’t be as selfish as you were before,” he continued. “There are no more lazy days or lie-in. Don’t get me wrong, Shauna is very good when I have a match, she’ll take Evie in the middle of the night. She looks after me just as much as the baby to be honest.”

It’s a scenario Massey, whose partner Lisa is an Irish dancing teacher, can relate to. “She works in the evening so I have Georgia then and can spend time with here. It’s something I look forward to all day, going back to see that happy face.

“There is no getting away from the fact it’s tough, you’re dropped in at the deep end and it’s sink or swim but we have family close by and there are nights when she [Lisa] will send me into the spare because we have a game the next day.

“It tests your relationship, it really does, but you have to work as a team and talk through it together because otherwise it will be 100 times harder.”

Of course, it always helps to have friends going through the same experiences.
• Waterford v Dundalk, tonight RSC, 7.45pm.

Champions League v delivery room?
While first-time fathers Dane Massey and Chris Shields are getting to grips with the whirlwind that is parenthood, Michael Duffy is bracing himself for the impact of his new arrival this summer.

But the timing is tricky as his girlfriend is due to give birth on July 28 — right in the middle of the two legs of the second round of Champions League qualifying.

Dundalk must advance from the first round for that to possibly become an issue, and Duffy admits it is something that he will have to consider. “I don’t want to miss the birth, I want to be there but we’ll just have to see how it goes,” he said. “We are so excited, we can’t wait.”

Shields, meanwhile, has a novel suggestion for Dundalk’s American owners. “Get a jet ready for him if needed. I’d hate to be in Mickey’s situation. It’s a tough one.”
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/irel ... jkq03?t=ie

Quayman
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Quayman » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:39 pm

Based on Georgie's cameo the other night, I don't he will be getting much more game time....
Neale Fenn....SCUM

condor
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by condor » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:26 pm

Anyone know if the match will be on radio tonight?

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by colymull » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:27 pm

condor wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:26 pm
Anyone know if the match will be on radio tonight?
I think I saw that LMFM are doing online commentary.
King Kenny!

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:35 pm

Nowhere appropriate for this, but Ken Early’s piece in the Irish Times today about systems and the press was excellent. I only mention it because I think we’ve never got back to our 2016 selves where McMillan, Horgan, Finn and McEleney would press as a unit with Skip marshalling behind. But there were glimpses of it the other night where as soon as Rovers approached halfway McGrath, McEleney and Shields forced them to go long or back.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:52 pm

El Paso wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:35 pm
Nowhere appropriate for this, but Ken Early’s piece in the Irish Times today about systems and the press was excellent. I only mention it because I think we’ve never got back to our 2016 selves where McMillan, Horgan, Finn and McEleney would press as a unit with Skip marshalling behind. But there were glimpses of it the other night where as soon as Rovers approached halfway McGrath, McEleney and Shields forced them to go long or back.
Not only has this been hugely effective for us in the past, but the high press is the single most effective tactic that opponents have used against us. Forcing us to go long breaks up our possession based game.

Link to the Times article mentioned by EP for anyone unable or unwiling to search for it

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer ... -1.3874358

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:52 pm

Double Post

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:04 pm

James Rogers
‏@jamesdundalk

The Dundalk team tonight has 2 changes from Friday with Gartland in for Cleary and Jarvis in for Massey

1 Gary Rogers
2 Sean Gannon
3 Brian Gartland
4 Sean Hoare
33 Dean Jarvis
5 Chris Shields
11 Patrick McEleney
27 Daniel Kelly
10 Jamie McGrath
7 Michael Duffy
9 Pat Hoban
https://twitter.com/jamesdundalk/status ... 7733158914

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:05 pm

Jarvis and Garts in for massey and Cleary.

No sign of Chvedukas for Waterford. The man is reaching Winston Bogarde levels of stealing a living.