Cork City V Dundalk | Fri 17 May | 7.45pm | Turner's Cross | Matchday 17

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Cork City V Dundalk | Fri 17 May | 7.45pm | Turner's Cross | Matchday 17

Post by Ezeikial » Sat May 11, 2019 12:47 pm

Going to Turner's Cross in search of 3 points is always a difficult ask and while it may have looked slightly less arduous than normal a few weeks ago, the change of manager and two consecutive wins for them has probable flipped the picture again.

Before the season started, I did not expect Cork to be credible league challengers this season, but their fall has been more significant than most people expected. They may lack strength in depth, despite the enormous squad assembled, but they can still put a very experienced and formidable eleven on the pitch. The back-to-back victories over Bohs and UCD will most likely give them a further lift and they will be eager to continue the sequence going into Friday's game

On our side, confidence will be high after returning to the top of the table. Hopefully Sean Murray will be all the better for his 70 minutes against Bohs and that there are no additional injury issues. Brian Gartland and Daniel Cleary will obviously form the centre back pairing. Dean Jarvis likely to retain his place after an excellent performance against Bohs

Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Cork City V Dundalk | Fri 17 May | 7.45pm | Turner's Cross | Matchday 17

Post by El Paso » Sat May 11, 2019 1:52 pm

I expected a pretty significant drop given the way they ended last season. I thought and still do that making Europe is a big challenge for them. As suspected at the time the President’s Cup game was more of a pointer than they wanted to admit. UCD seem to have been worst affected by the glut of games, they were thrashed by Harps last week.

It’ll be physical but if we’re able to raise our superior ability over their physicality we should win. Although the pitch is in shite at the minute, with more Junior finals to come, which won’t help us.

I would consider going 4-4-2 for this.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Sat May 11, 2019 4:19 pm

El Paso wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 1:52 pm

It’ll be physical but if we’re able to raise our superior ability over their physicality we should win. Although the pitch is in shite at the minute, with more Junior finals to come, which won’t help us.

I would consider going 4-4-2 for this.
I just can't see the starting formation being changed from what has been working for us. The key in these matches tends to be midfield, where Cork are likely to have 5 players. Additionally pairing Patrick Hoban and Georgie Kelly together is untried in a starting line-up

If superior ability should win over physicality, then surely it makes sense to go with the tried and trusted formation and personnel.

Rogers
Gannon | Gartland | Cleary | Jarvis
Shields | Murray
D Kelly | McEleney | Duffy
Hoban

If it ain't working for us during the match, VP has already shown that he is able and willing to make brave calls ti change things
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Sat May 11, 2019 10:18 pm

I know we won’t change it but my logic is that with a poor pitch and Cork likely to look for breaks or set pieces, our normal game may not be the most appropriate approach. On paper we should be too strong either way. But sometimes you can get dragged down.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey » Sun May 12, 2019 4:20 am

Unlike his predecessor, Vinnie has shown himself more willing to make changes according to the opposition. It also makes it more difficult for other managers to plan against us. Friday is the start of 5 games in 15 days so hopefully everyone gets a run out, not just in the cup game.

Fri 17 May (A) Cork City
Mon 20 May (H) Bohemians
Fri 24 May (H) St Patrick's Athletic
Mon 27 May (H) UCD
Fri 31 May (H) Sligo Rovers

12 points and a cup SF spot up for grabs. With Finn Harps(A) and UCD(H) to come in early June, it gives us a chance to build up a serious head of steam before the big one in Tallaght after the mid season break.

rummy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by rummy » Sun May 12, 2019 7:45 pm

Is this on Eir or RTÉ?

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey » Sun May 12, 2019 10:36 pm

Neither AFAIK.

SSE Airtricity League TV fixtures - May/June
24/05 - Bohemians v Sligo Rovers, 7.45pm, RTE
31/05 - Waterford v Shamrock Rovers, 7.45pm, RTE
09/06 - Cork City v Waterford, 7pm, eirSport
14/06 - Bohemians v Shamrock Rovers, 8pm, eirSport
28/06 - Shamrock Rovers v Dundalk, 8pm, eirSport

When these were announced on 2nd May, I suppose it was assumed we were incapable of mounting a serious challenge.

rummy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by rummy » Mon May 13, 2019 7:05 am

Cheers. Seems daft the game isn't on TV

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Mon May 13, 2019 8:49 am

Judging by the RTE Sport promo that appeared yesterday I don't think we should be surprised.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Tue May 14, 2019 2:12 pm

Cotter says he expects Griffin and Buckley to be available while he is hopeful about Morrissey

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2019/05 ... der-clash/

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Tue May 14, 2019 5:47 pm

Vinny Perth reckons Friday night’s visit to Cork City could be Dundalk FC’s biggest game of the season.
https://www.dundalkdemocrat.ie/news/spo ... -cork.html

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Thu May 16, 2019 5:35 pm

Team news

Robbie Benson continues his recovery from a broken leg while Jamie McGrath is also out with a foot injury. Stephen Folan is back in training and Sean Murray returned to the lineup last weekend and is in line to feature once again. Sean Hoare serves a one match suspension for accumulating five yellows. Daniel Kelly will be assessed before the game however Jordan Flores is nearing full fitness. Top scorer Patrick Hoban returns to the squad after serving his one match suspension.
https://www.dundalkfc.com/team-news-vs-cork-city-13/

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Thu May 16, 2019 5:53 pm

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Thu May 16, 2019 6:20 pm

Not a lot to say about this one. Starting 11 probably picks itself given who’s available. Last week's win is the best preparation possible, given the slack goals given away in the previous games. Scoring first is important as usual against Cork, as is not giving away corners unnecessarily or cheap free kicks in dangerous positions.

Set pieces or lucky breaks are probably Cork’s best route to success. I’d imagine not losing is the most important thing for them at the moment, so nothing too adventurous from them you’d think, and more of the low press with McCormack that they use effectively. Dunno if old man Bennett is still playing - they might send him on to assault Hoban again.

The weather has been good this week so the pitch should be better than it looked last week, assuming they cut the grass this time.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Fri May 17, 2019 2:10 pm

I never thought I'd see a headline about Vinny Perth matching a Sean Connor record.

Dubious credit to Caoimhin Reilly

https://www.dundalkdemocrat.ie/news/spo ... night.html