Dundalk V Sligo Rovers | Fri 31 May | 7.45pm | Oriel Park | Matchday 20

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Dundalk V Sligo Rovers | Fri 31 May | 7.45pm | Oriel Park | Matchday 20

Post by Ezeikial » Mon May 27, 2019 10:52 pm

Our third meeting with Sligo Rovers without a win registered yet.

With Rovers match with Waterford postponed it presents a great opportunity to open a gap at the top of the table and put some additional pressure on them.

Brian Gartand got roasted by Romeo Parkes last time around - it would be no surprise if he drops to the bench on this occasion with Cleary and Hoare partnering at centre back

Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Re: Dundalk V Sligo Rovers | Fri 31 May | 7.45pm | Oriel Park | Matchday 20

Post by Ezeikial » Thu May 30, 2019 6:55 pm

Team news

Robbie Benson is continuing his recovery from a broken leg and Jamie McGrath remains out with a foot problem. Cameron Dummigan damaged his ankle ligaments against UCD on Monday and will likely miss the next two weeks. Sean Murray came off at half-time last week and is subject to to a late fitness test tomorrow. We have doubts over John Mountney and Daniel Kelly and they will be assessed ahead of kick-off. We have no suspensions to contend with and Ross Treacy comes back into the squad after training with the Ireland U21’s this week.
Referee

Rob Rogers will take charge of the match on Friday with Wayne McDonnell and Mark Gavin assisting him. Paul Tuite will be fourth official.

https://www.dundalkfc.com/team-news-vs-sligo-rovers-10/
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Thu May 30, 2019 7:34 pm

No mention on the website Team News about Cameron Dummigan who went off at half time against UCD and is reported by James Rogers to be out for 2 weeks with ankle ligament trouble. Patrick McEleney was described as an injury doubt for Monday night, yet gets no website mention today about his fitness or otherwise

The reliability of the website in this respect is really poor. I had assumed that this was some misguided attempt to fudge player fitness stuff for opposition managers, but I am increasingly revising my thinking, particularly as James Rogers and Gavin McLaughlin can regularly tweet more specific and reliable fitness reports

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Thu May 30, 2019 7:45 pm

“We’re starting to look a little bit better and a bit more like ourselves now,” Perth said. “I think we’re very close to what I want us to be. I’m a dreamer, maybe, but I think we’re going to beat some side fairly soon in terms of convincingly. We’re playing good football and this team is in a good position at the moment.
https://www.dundalkdemocrat.ie/news/spo ... 80.twitter

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Thu May 30, 2019 7:58 pm

Ezeikial wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 7:34 pm
No mention on the website Team News about Cameron Dummigan who went off at half time against UCD and is reported by James Rogers to be out for 2 weeks with ankle ligament trouble. Patrick McEleney was described as an injury doubt for Monday night, yet gets no website mention today about his fitness or otherwise

The reliability of the website in this respect is really poor. I had assumed that this was some misguided attempt to fudge player fitness stuff for opposition managers, but I am increasingly revising my thinking, particularly as James Rogers and Gavin McLaughlin can regularly tweet more specific and reliable fitness reports
Erm, it says right there in the bit you quoted that Dummigan is out ‘likely for two weeks’

I presume whoever types it up is typing exactly what Perth or Gill or whoever is telling them. If they haven’t mentioned McEleney then there’s no issue with him.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Thu May 30, 2019 8:37 pm

El Paso wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 7:58 pm

Erm, it says right there in the bit you quoted that Dummigan is out ‘likely for two weeks’

I presume whoever types it up is typing exactly what Perth or Gill or whoever is telling them. If they haven’t mentioned McEleney then there’s no issue with him.
Erm - I completely missed it!!

Apologies to the website folk and a donation to the Website Writers Benevolent Association being organised!

dell1
Reserves
Reserves

Post by dell1 » Thu May 30, 2019 9:02 pm

Ezeikial wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 6:55 pm
Team news

Robbie Benson is continuing his recovery from a broken leg and Jamie McGrath remains out with a foot problem. Cameron Dummigan damaged his ankle ligaments against UCD on Monday and will likely miss the next two weeks. Sean Murray came off at half-time last week and is subject to to a late fitness test tomorrow. We have doubts over John Mountney and Daniel Kelly and they will be assessed ahead of kick-off. We have no suspensions to contend with and Ross Treacy comes back into the squad after training with the Ireland U21’s this week.
https://www.dundalkfc.com/team-news-vs-sligo-rovers-10/
I was hoping for more light at the end of the tunnel on the injury front. Apart from the long term injuries we constantly seem to have players pick up additional injuries weekly. Maybe is an exacerbation of existing injuries that are not getting time to clear up fully - another issue to have with the ridiculous demands of the schedule. With that in mind we definitely need additional players in in July. If as rumoured Hery is on the move then maybe we should seriously look to hijack that that transfer! Both of the first choice right side of midfield struggling isnt good - could Gannon be deployed on the right wing with Hoare at full back? eg McEleney is reluctant to move to the wide areas and Gannon has all the attributes to be able to play right midfield. It could be less disruptive than deploying the various central players as makeshift rightsided players. Pace, able to get forward and back to cover Hoare, super crosser of the ball, able to take on opposition fullbacks - he could be very effective there when we're a bit thin on the ground. Has he ver been pushed up to play right wing before?
Flores was the early concern for getting fitness up to scratch and keeping injury free but he is turning out to be pretty robust for a chap that was out of football for so long, certainly compared to the seemingly endless niggles cropping up with with Murray, Mountney, McEleney, Dummigan.

Getting the win this weekend will nicely start to crank up the pressure on Rovers ahead of their tricky gave against Derry next week and we are playing a doomed looking Harps albeit on a narrowed uncut, Finn Park pitch.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Thu May 30, 2019 9:04 pm

Liam Buckley pre-match interview audio

https://audioboom.com/posts/7275800-lia ... re-dundalk

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Thu May 30, 2019 9:59 pm

Sligo Rovers website preview
Sligo Rovers visit Dundalk on Friday night in the SSE Airtricity Premier Division in Oriel Park.

The Bit O’ Red won 2-1 against Bohemians last week and are unbeaten against Dundalk with a 1-1 draw and 2-1 win so far.

In team news, Dante Leverock (concussion) is out and travel to meet up with Bermuda ahead of the Gold Cup in the coming days.

Regan Donelon and Johnny Dunleavy are doubtful with muscle strains. Niall Morahan returns.

Liam Buckley said: “Dundalk is a very hard game for every side in the league, especially away from home. Fight and desire has been the backbone of what we’ve done so far and in fairness to the lads they’ve worked extremely hard.

“Whether we are under the radar is something I don’t consider but what is happening is we are fundamentally getting better and improving. We are halfway through the season but it remains a work in progress because we are trying to gel it together. By no means do we get carried away because you’re 90 minutes away from a defeat. We have to maintain all the attributes I’ve spoken about.

“We got a draw earlier in the season. Dundalk have a good squad of players, their ambition would be to the win. From our end we go there looking give a good account of ourselves and to get a result.”
https://www.sligorovers.com/preview-rov ... n-dundalk/

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by seand » Fri May 31, 2019 8:31 am

dell1 wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 9:02 pm
- could Gannon be deployed on the right wing with Hoare at full back? eg McEleney is reluctant to move to the wide areas and Gannon has all the attributes to be able to play right midfield. It could be less disruptive than deploying the various central players as makeshift rightsided players. Pace, able to get forward and back to cover Hoare, super crosser of the ball, able to take on opposition fullbacks - he could be very effective there when we're a bit thin on the ground. Has he ver been pushed up to play right wing before?
Gannon played right wing against Bohs in our last home game of 2017. Don't think he had a great game. I think I'd prefer to see one of our dozen midfielders in there

dell1
Reserves
Reserves

Post by dell1 » Fri May 31, 2019 1:50 pm

seand wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 8:31 am
dell1 wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 9:02 pm
- could Gannon be deployed on the right wing with Hoare at full back? eg McEleney is reluctant to move to the wide areas and Gannon has all the attributes to be able to play right midfield. It could be less disruptive than deploying the various central players as makeshift rightsided players. Pace, able to get forward and back to cover Hoare, super crosser of the ball, able to take on opposition fullbacks - he could be very effective there when we're a bit thin on the ground. Has he ver been pushed up to play right wing before?
I think I'd prefer to see one of our dozen midfielders in there
You make us sound like SHmrock Rovers lol

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Fri May 31, 2019 11:06 pm

It was great to get an early goal for a change, and even though we ended up with 4 we still seemed to make hard work of beaten a significantly depleted Sligo team

Congratulations to John Mountney on his hatrick - I was astounded that Patrick Hoban gave him the last penalty!

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Fri May 31, 2019 11:20 pm

An astounding coincidence highlighted by James Rogers
James Rogers
@jamesdundalk

On May 13th 2017, Dundalk beat Sligo Rovers here 4-0. That night @jamie_mc_gra got his first career hat-trick having been handed the third from the penalty spot by Ciaran Kilduff that night.

History has repeated itself with Mountney the benefactor tonight
https://twitter.com/jamesdundalk/status ... 4452922369

Robbiedundalk2
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Robbiedundalk2 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:02 am

It was a strange game, we won 4-0 but I thought we played much better on the first game of the season. Lots of misplaced passes, beaten to lots of 50/50 balls, Parks caused havoc at times yet we were quite clinical in front of goal and could have even more. It was odd. Sligo tried to play and must wonder how they lost by that score. We had no star performers, Duffy maybe pick of the punch and Mountney for the goals. Attendance was poor. Shed made a valiant effort in the circumstances. One month till next home game is a joke.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:24 am

Ezeikial wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 11:06 pm
It was great to get an early goal for a change, and even though we ended up with 4 we still seemed to make hard work of beaten a significantly depleted Sligo team

Congratulations to John Mountney on his hatrick - I was astounded that Patrick Hoban gave him the last penalty!
Listened to Gavin's interview with John Mountney last night and he admitted that he asked for the chance as he had never made a senior hat-trick. More Rottweiler with a bone than asking for someone's last Rollo. I have to admit I was very nervous as these things tend to go wrong

- first penalty for Dundalk
- first hat-trick on the line
- last minute change of taker
- the bad blood between Hoban and McGinty before and after the first penalty

Afterwards, I was asking myself why he isn't the automatic backup to Hoban. It was as good as you will see anywhere, straight run-up and blasted into the top corner.

After all his injury problems over the years it was just reward for his perseverance.

On the game overall it's good to see Vinne Perth embracing the idea of squad rotation. Starting 11 - of those fit - was too predictable under Stephen Kenny. He's also practical too. Only 3 of our 6 midfielders were fit last night. Replacing 2 of them with a full back and centre forward shows lateral thinking that has to stand to us into the second half of the season as other teams suffer suspensions, injuries, and loss of form.