Barry Kehoe Testimonial 1989

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

gavinmclaughlin
Youth Team
Youth Team

Barry Kehoe Testimonial 1989

Post by gavinmclaughlin » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:04 pm

Hi folks,

Im putting together a piece on Barry Kehoe's Testimonial which - incredibly - was 30 years ago today.

If anybody has any pics, memories etc from it, feel free to give me a shout.

Thanks,

Gavin

GC.
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Barry Kehoe Testimonial 1989

Post by GC. » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:51 pm

I was a ball boy at it. All I remember was that some of the crowd was quite abusive and hostile to us. Too young to remember much else.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:23 pm

I was at it but don’t remember anything interesting. I was 12 and got a load of autographs in the Derryhale afterwards. Pretty useless - sorry!

gavinmclaughlin
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by gavinmclaughlin » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:18 pm

Finally got this finished. Featuring contributions from Pat D'Arcy, Brian McClair and Mick Neville.

RETRO | 1989: A gala night at Oriel Park when the stars came out for Barry Kehoe’s Testimonial

https://dundalksport.ie/retro-1989-a-ga ... b3e6fbd972

seand
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by seand » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:17 am

Jaysus, phenomenal stuff. Great account of a great man and great occasion. His story is definitely worthy of (another) book.

I interviewed Turlough O'Connor a fw years ago for a Dundalk programme and we got talking about the double in 1988. Barry was out injured (or sick) towards the end of the season, and Michael O'Connor was the one who most often filled in. then in the run up to the cup final Barry was back in training, so Turly had a decsion to make for the cup final.... Barry Kehoe or his own brother! There could only be one choice, which led to some family awkwardness!

Another story from Paiul McGrath's autobiography. McGrath and Kehoe were on trial at United at the same time. When United let Kehoe go back to Dundalk McGrath's first thought is if Barry Kehoe can't make it what chance do I have.

bigalan
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by bigalan » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:11 pm

Fantastic article Gavin. A remarkable though, sadly, cut very short career. Barry was the player we all looked up in the 80s. One of the finest players I have seen in a white shirt. Looking at the teamsheet from the trial match, its just a whos who. To think Barry was the most impressive player on the pitch makes you wonder what might have been. A gent and an excellent businessman, who knows what Barry could have achieved in life with a clear run. On a sidenote, anyone here that hasn't read Barrys testimonial programme "My most difficult opponent" please, if you get a chance do. Compelling reading and a deep insight into Barrys life. On many occasion I tried to convince Barry to expand and publish a autobio. R.I.P.