Streaming Pilot

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

User avatar
OHare
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 672
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:04 pm
Location: dundalk

Streaming Pilot

Post by OHare » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:42 pm

The club have announced a Pilot Streaming service for 4 upcoming League games

https://www.dundalkfc.com/dundalk-fc-la ... ing-pilot/

* Just to note it says that this is not available for Republic Of Ireland Customers*



User avatar
El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 3101
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:33 pm

Re: Streaming Pilot

Post by El Paso » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:45 pm

That's great stuff in fairness.

dell1
Reserves
Reserves
Posts: 354
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:55 am

Re: Streaming Pilot

Post by dell1 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:05 pm

Mark Devlin is certainly making some impact in his short time time as CEO. Relatively small things like this make a big difference and is well timed when the club took a bit of a PR hit over the pricing of the CL games. There is also this comment from Dan McDonnell's piece in the Independant, '"It's not going to be easy or inexpensive," said Devlin, who said shorter-term improvements will focus on finding ways to cover all open seated areas'. There seems to be growing substance to what is being said on small but incremental improvements for fans!

Sneachta
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1170
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:01 pm

Re: Streaming Pilot

Post by Sneachta » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:15 pm

OHare wrote:The club have announced a Pilot Streaming service for 4 upcoming League games

https://www.dundalkfc.com/dundalk-fc-la ... ing-pilot/

* Just to note it says that this is not available for Republic Of Ireland Customers*
Someone made a good point on Twitter, you could perhaps use a VPN. That would require you signing up, with your ROI details. I would definitely do it for the away matches no questions asked and any games at home I couldn't make. This is a great initiative in spreading the game globally. Small steps in the right direction

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk



Pepsi
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:21 pm

Re: Streaming Pilot

Post by Pepsi » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:17 pm

Just signed up for the 4 games pass and am just wondering what platforms this will be availbale on....would be great if they offer it on android so I can watch it direct on the TV.

VPN would be worth a chance for anyone in town looking to avail of it. Nordvpn allows 5-6 connections at the same time so maybe you could share a months sub to see if it works. 1 month is about €10
Last edited by Pepsi on Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1776
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:24 pm

Re: Streaming Pilot

Post by oldfogey » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:39 pm

Just to remind everyone, this seems to cover home games only for ourselves and Cork. Does the subscription cover both clubs games (pick any 4) or us it Dundalk only. If the latter is the case, you would have to sign up to all 10 clubs in order to see our away games.

Probably explains the "4" option as that would get you the league games we are involved in, as distinct from signing for the whole season.
Last edited by oldfogey on Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chrish
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:51 pm

Re: Streaming Pilot

Post by Chrish » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:49 pm

oldfogey wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:39 pm
Just to remind everyone, this seems to cover home games only for ourselves and Cork. Does the subscription cover both clubs games (pick any 4) or us it Dundalk only. If the latter is the case, you would have to sign up to all 10 clubs in order to see our away games.

Probably explains the "4" option as that would get you the league games, as distinct from signing for the whole season.
Its strange. It said home games but the dundalk 4 game pack includeds the game away to sligo. Not very clear but I would expect should the pilot go well there should be more options available

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1776
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:24 pm

Re: Streaming Pilot

Post by oldfogey » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:59 pm

Chrish wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:49 pm
oldfogey wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:39 pm
Just to remind everyone, this seems to cover home games only for ourselves and Cork. Does the subscription cover both clubs games (pick any 4) or us it Dundalk only. If the latter is the case, you would have to sign up to all 10 clubs in order to see our away games.

Probably explains the "4" option as that would get you the league games, as distinct from signing for the whole season.
Its strange. It said home games but the dundalk 4 game pack includeds the game away to sligo. Not very clear but I would expect should the pilot go well there should be more options available
Harry videos ALL our games for the club so it shouldn't be a problem then.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 6249
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:00 am

Re: Streaming Pilot

Post by Ezeikial » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:00 pm

This is a potentially ground breaking development. Current TV rights deals prevent this being available to view in Ireland for the moment (although the VPN option may circumvent that immediately).

No doubt this will get rolled out to home based viewers in time
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Pepsi
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:21 pm

Re: Streaming Pilot

Post by Pepsi » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:04 pm

oldfogey wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:59 pm
Chrish wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:49 pm
oldfogey wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:39 pm
Just to remind everyone, this seems to cover home games only for ourselves and Cork. Does the subscription cover both clubs games (pick any 4) or us it Dundalk only. If the latter is the case, you would have to sign up to all 10 clubs in order to see our away games.

Probably explains the "4" option as that would get you the league games, as distinct from signing for the whole season.
Its strange. It said home games but the dundalk 4 game pack includeds the game away to sligo. Not very clear but I would expect should the pilot go well there should be more options available
Harry videos ALL our games for the club so it shouldn't be a problem then.
Could have something to do with the upload speeds at other grounds, maybe they already know Sligo meet the requirements. Oriel would have a fast internet connection based on its location. As its a pilot/trial I would assume there are a lot of infrastructure issues to clear up before other clubs come on board.

User avatar
thecaptain
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 1080
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:31 pm

Re: Streaming Pilot

Post by thecaptain » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:19 pm

Couple of things on this:

Although the new CEO has been saying good things in the media recently, this has been in the works for at least the last 15 months.

It's a trial to see if there's interest there. The setup has just been put in for ourselves and Cork for the trial, not all of the other clubs have it yet. If the interest is there and it does decent it'll be rolled out next season to all clubs and you'll be able to buy a season pass or something similar with different packages available (our games, our home games, all games in the league, weekend pass and so on similar to NFL RedZone/ NowTV).

For ourselves the games are:

01/07 - 19:45 | Dundalk FC v Waterford FC
19/07 - 19:45 | Dundalk FC v Cork City FC* More than likely going to be postponed as both clubs are in Europe!
03/08 - 19:45 | Sligo R. v Dundalk FC
16/08 - 19:45 | Dundalk FC v Finn Harps FC

You should be able to access it via a VPN such as NordVPN etc. The geoblocking is done via IP address and the reason is because of the current TV rights agreement, which is up at the end of the season anyway so should be domestic options there next season to subscribe legally/ legitimately.

It might be the case that the crowd who are taking the payments might geoblock based on where your credit/ debit card is issued so if you have a foreign card or a Recolut use that to subscribe!

It's not going to be ran via the potato quality trackchamp feeds. It will be full HD using the connectivity stuck in to every ground at the start of this season that RTE use for the new Friday night live games format. Basically, it's a cloud based system for uplink/ streaming etc & the ChyronHego mentioned in the press release is software that handles all match packaging live with real time editing and so on. That platform is used by pretty much every major sports organisation/ tv channel around the world for their live broadcasts.

Think it's single camera initially for the trial period but I don't know for definite on that, or who is handling the commentary on each game.

The website hosting the streams is Laola, they stream a load of minority sports & competitions live and have apps for Smart TV, Android, Apple & Amazon Firestick so plenty of options there and Chromecasting should work, not sure as I haven't signed up as of yet myself on that though!
Ian Foster: (On the expectations level at Dundalk): "That's why you want to be involved in management. If I don't do well I'll do my shopping in Newry!"

Ian Foster: Last seen heading for Newry.

User avatar
El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Posts: 3101
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:33 pm

Re: Streaming Pilot

Post by El Paso » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:42 pm

*Insert thanks here*

Really hope it succeeds. Every Irish bar in the world should be signing up for starters.

dell1
Reserves
Reserves
Posts: 354
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:55 am

Re: Streaming Pilot

Post by dell1 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:06 pm

El Paso wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:42 pm
*Insert thanks here*

Really hope it succeeds. Every Irish bar in the world should be signing up for starters.
This is where some initiative needs to be shown by the FAI or whomever is running the league in the future and promote this to bars internationally.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain
Posts: 6249
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:00 am

Re: Streaming Pilot

Post by Ezeikial » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:25 pm

At €9.99 for 4 games it is a total no-brainer for anyone who has even a fleeting interest in LoI. The challenge is to market this sufficiently in the short time available - first match is on Monday!
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

User avatar
Colin Gallagher
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1404
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2002 1:54 am
Location: Helsinki
Contact:

Re: Streaming Pilot

Post by Colin Gallagher » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:00 am

I will await feedback on the first match before paying up for this. Would be expecting 1080p...

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk


Post Reply