Dundalk V Riga | Weds 10 July | 7.45pm | Oriel Pk | UEFA Champions League QFR1 First Leg

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Dundalk V Riga | Weds 10 July | 7.45pm | Oriel Pk | UEFA Champions League QFR1 First Leg

Post by Ezeikial » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:16 pm

“It’s the most exciting time of the year for fans, players and everyone involved in the club,”

John Mountney is spot on in his observation. There is something unique and special about Dundalk being involved in european football. While the matches in the later rounds in previous seasons provided some 'never-to-be-forgotten' occasions in Tallaght and Aviva, playing in Oriel Park in the midst of your own community and town is really precious.

There is a growing sense that Riga will provide strong opposition and that we are likely to need to step up a level over recent league performances. There are a lot of unknowns about fitness issues that will determine the starting eleven, in particular around central defense with Sean Hoare and Andy Boyle, but especially around central midfield with Robbie Benson, Sean Murray and Jamie McGrath.

Predictions / preferences on starting line-ups?

Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Dundalk V Riga | Weds 10 July | 7.45pm | Oriel Pk | UEFA Champions League QFR1 First Leg

Post by El Paso » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:47 pm

McGrath should start if fit. He has the work rate and the smarts. It has to be too soon for Benson. Patrick McEleney needs to step up to the plate. He could be key if he plays to his ability, which I don’t think he has been.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Re: Dundalk V Riga | Weds 10 July | 7.45pm | Oriel Pk | UEFA Champions League QFR1 First Leg

Post by Ezeikial » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:12 am

Perth insists Dundalk FC's Champions League clash with Riga is 'not the foregone conclusion that most people think'

Vinny Perth has warned that Dundalk FC’s UEFA Champions League first round tie against Riga is “not the foregone conclusion that most people think”.

The Lilywhites face the Latvians at a sold-out Oriel Park on Wednesday night seeking to put themselves in commanding position ahead of the second leg.

Perth believes Riga may have been pleased with drawing the Irish champions and “see an opportunity” for progress in Europe’s elite competition.

Riga are four points clear at the top of Virsliga, but overall have lost almost a third of their games.

Still, Perth has warned against complacency amongst supporters. He pointed particularly to the threat of Ukrainian forward Roman Debelko – a recent recruit to Riga’s ranks – who played for Levadia Tallinn against Dundalk in the Europa League qualifiers last July.

“You would back us against a lot of teams,” Perth said, when asked about his confidence levels ahead of the tie.

“We have watched them a couple of times. It’s not the foregone conclusion that most people think it is.

“It’s a very, very tough tie and we need to bring our A-game if we’re going to go through.

“They’re a really strong footballing team. They have made four, if not five, signings at this stage. They obviously see an opportunity for them to progress to the next round and they have invested.

“Attacking wise, they’re really, really good. They have Debelko who played here for Tallinn. He was a real threat for Tallinn last year, but I think what he brings – in a better side, I think Riga are better than Tallinn – he will be a big threat.

“They’re a top side, they’ve invested heavily, they’re chasing Europe, with a lot of internationals playing for them. It’s going to be a difficult game.”
https://www.dundalkdemocrat.ie/news/spo ... think.html
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Robbiedundalk2
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Robbiedundalk2 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:58 am

Getting very excited for tomorrow night. I reckon tried and trusted in midfield with Shields, Benson. McGrath and Duffy. Defence could be any permeation, no idea. Think we will win 2-0

Sneachta
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Sneachta » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:03 am

2-0 would be an excellent result. Not conceding, even in a 1-0 or 0-0 scenario is so important.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:08 am

I'm basing this on nothing much more than the build up being relatively quiet and the cautious tone, but I think they might have seen enough in their scouting of Riga to be genuinely nervous about this one.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:25 pm

Robbiedundalk2 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:58 am
Getting very excited for tomorrow night. I reckon tried and trusted in midfield with Shields, Benson. McGrath and Duffy. Defence could be any permeation, no idea. Think we will win 2-0
What about McEleney?

Who would you play on the right side of midfield, or are you going with 2 up-front?

Robbiedundalk2
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Robbiedundalk2 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:27 pm

McGrath on right with Fats behind Pat

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:58 pm

I think John Mountney will keep his place on the right. The question is whether Bob is fit enough to start. If so, then McEleney will play 10 with McGrath on the bench. Otherwise McGrath at 10 with Fats playing deep. Either way our bench is looking strong. CB pairing will depend on whether Riga have height or speed up front. In a perfect world I would play Hoare + Cleary/Garts but he may not be fit. I can only see Andy Boyle starting if alongside Gartland as he has only 90 mins with Cleary and none with Hoare.

Jarvis will get the nod at LB.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:09 pm

RTE video report
Eamon Horan reports from Oriel Park ahead of the start of Dundalk's Champions League qualifying campaign #RTESoccer
https://twitter.com/SoccRepublic/status ... 5071796224

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:39 pm

Press Conference with Brian Gartland, Vinny Perth & John Gill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RNJBRTmJ8s

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:59 pm

Match Info on the website now

Main Points

* Match Sold Out - Ticket only
* Ground open from 6.30pm
* Ground Entry arrangements are different from normal match days
* You must sit in the section noted on your ticket
* YDC open pre-match and half time for Shed ticket holders
* Lilywhite Lounge open pre-match and half time for Stand, Carrick Rd and North East Terrace ticket holders
* Enda McGuill suite open pre-match and half time for Stand ticket holders

https://www.dundalkfc.com/dundalk-fc-vs ... formation/

Sneachta
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Sneachta » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:02 pm

Allocated seats before 7pm as all games before?

Sneachta
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Sneachta » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:10 pm

I see they are not