Riga V Dundalk | Weds 17 July | 5.30pm | Skonto Stadium | UEFA Champions League QFR1 Second Leg

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Riga V Dundalk | Weds 17 July | 5.30pm | Skonto Stadium | UEFA Champions League QFR1 Second Leg

Post by Ezeikial » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:53 am

Kick off local time is 7.30pm where there is a two hour time difference, hence 5.30pm for those watching and listening from Ireland. Live TV coverage from eir

It's obviously all to play for - VP is confident that we can score away from home. If we score one they obviously need to score twice!

The injury situation with Chris Shields will play an important part in the time line-up, but Dean Jarvis and John Mountney must be under serious pressure from Dane Massey and Robbie Benson. Andy Boyle may well also start at centre back. The big call is whether the management are sufficiently brave/foolish (delete as per your view) to replace Pat Hoban with Georgie Kelly

Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Re: Riga V Dundalk | Weds 17 July | 5.30pm | Skonto Stadium | UEFA Champions League QFR1 Second Leg

Post by Ezeikial » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:56 am

Match tickets and Lilywhite big screens
Any Dundalk FC supporters who are travelling to the game can purchase their tickets via the link below.

>> Riga FC vs Dundalk FC tickets <<

Click the ‘X’ on the pop-up add and then click ‘BUY TICKETS’ to access the ticket page.

Dundalk supporters will be located in sections T, U and V. Tickets priced €15 or €7.50 concessions.

For those Dundalk supporters unable to travel to Riga next week, we will be showing the game on the big screens in the Lilywhite Lounge, so come and join us for what looks certain to be an exciting night.
https://www.dundalkfc.com/tickets-riga- ... undalk-fc/
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

Blackandwhite10
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Riga V Dundalk | Weds 17 July | 5.30pm | Skonto Stadium | UEFA Champions League QFR1 Second Leg

Post by Blackandwhite10 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:38 pm

Can't see him changing the back 4 ...they didnt conced and didnt look like conceding at that. Massey is on a major decline for me [maybe age]. Does he drop hOare or cleary for boyLe? ? Very harsh. Big call is for midfield in my eye. Benson mcgrath mceleney Shields also Murray . Who plays.

paul1
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by paul1 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:13 pm

Going by his second half performance and how comfortable he looked I’d started Boyle, then it’s between Hoare and Cleary bit of a toss up but I’d probably drop Hoare give the ball away a few times and Cleary might be able to handle their ariel threat a bit better. Then it’s Massey/Jarvis another close call I’d probably go Massey.. Midfield Duffy (needs a massive game no supply last night at all). Shields if fit if not give Murrary a go who also needs a big game looked a world beater in preseason when playing for a contract but even taking injury into account has been bang average. Then McEleney, McGrath and benson with Hoban up top with McEleney playing a lot closer to him.

Shoco
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Shoco » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:13 pm

Murray didn't even make the squad last night, can't see how he will start next week!

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:24 pm

Because Shields might not be fit, Benson is barely back after a leg break and playing Hoare as a defensive midfielder is a really bad idea.

Shoco
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Shoco » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:39 pm

My point being if he wasn’t fit enough for the squad then I don’t see how he can be fit to start next week

dundalkfc1903
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by dundalkfc1903 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:20 am

Anyone have a look into Riga and where to stay? The Old town or closer to the stadium or anywhere else? Any meeting points set up for fans?

DundalkChampions
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by DundalkChampions » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:50 am

Shoco wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:13 pm
Murray didn't even make the squad last night, can't see how he will start next week!
He is injured. Vinny said after the game he is hopeful he will be available next week

Logie
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Logie » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:27 am

dundalkfc1903 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:20 am
Anyone have a look into Riga and where to stay? The Old town or closer to the stadium or anywhere else? Any meeting points set up for fans?
Paddy Whelans Irish Pub is right in the middle of Old Town and can hold hundreds but the drink is not as cheap as people will expect. Its 4 euro a pint of GUinness
Neal Fenn is a SCAB

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:28 pm

Shoco wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:39 pm
My point being if he wasn’t fit enough for the squad then I don’t see how he can be fit to start next week
Apologies I thought everyone was fit to play except Flores

Robbiedundalk2
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Robbiedundalk2 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:22 pm

My team for next week-
Rogers
Gannon Boyle Hoare Jarvis
McGrath Shields Benson Duffy
McEleney
Hoban

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:02 am

Robbiedundalk2 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:22 pm
My team for next week-
Rogers
Gannon Boyle Hoare Jarvis
McGrath Shields Benson Duffy
McEleney
Hoban
I'd replace jarvis with massey replace McEleney with McGrath and then start Daniel Kelly wide on the right.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

mike
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by mike » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:59 pm

My team for Riga away:

……………...Rogers...…………..

Gannon....Boyle......Hoare...Massey

…………..Shields.....Benson

McGrath.....McEleney……..Duffy

…………….Hoban...……….

10 of this 11 finished the cup final last Nov, so shows the strength we have.

There is also a nicer balance to above than last wed and I was surprised to see Jarvis and Cleary start, not sure on right side MF, he still might retain Mountney for his defensive work, and I wouldn't rule Gartland out. Its a pity Murray is not further on with his fitness, he might be ? as he would be very close. I'd also be taking D Kelly on for at least 25 mins to get behind them.

I think we will score at least one over there, and I`m backing us to go through, no away goal conceded is a huge advantage. Riga were decent but not sure they were that clinical up front, think we'll win the game, the insurance of being able to score an away goal is important to have.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:51 am

Vinny Perth hopes Dundalk's frustration hasn't given Riga a blueprint to punish them in Latvia
Wednesday's first leg was a cagey enough affair until inside the last quarter, when the home side really went for it and, at times, left themselves exposed

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer ... n-17966101