Nick a Cork City player

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

marmulade
Youth Team
Youth Team

Nick a Cork City player

Post by marmulade » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:06 pm

With Cork tumbling down the table, and likely to see further budget cuts for next season, is there anybody on the Cork City books that you think would make a good signing for Dundalk in 2020?

Don
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Nick a Cork City player

Post by Don » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:25 pm

Yes!

Shane Griffin
Conor McCarthy
Conor McCormack

holidaysong
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by holidaysong » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:29 pm

Conor McCormack - Sorry but no, I wouldn't have him around the place.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:51 pm

Wouldn’t have Griffin either. We’ve embarrassed him at full back.

Daire o’Connor started well, maybe he’d be good if Benson doesn’t stay.

marmulade
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by marmulade » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:35 pm

On Twitter, I suggested the possibility of McCormack as cover for Chris Shields, and to my surprise, this was met with a lot of outrage. Someone went as far as to say "I'd rather die than see him wear the shirt". Strong feelings, apparently.

McCormack has been feisty in games against Dundalk, but I don't recall him doing anything especially hate-worthy. His nadir is probably that time he was substituted after 19 minutes at Oriel, but that hardly did any damage to us. His quality on the ball is pretty questionable, but it's hard to say whether that's down to his personal limitations, or instructions that he was receiving from the coaching staff. Personally, I'd have him as backup to Shields, but unlikely to squeeze into the first XI.

On the other hand, Gearoid Morrissey is a player I'd strongly consider; good technical skills, good passer, good engine, and a bit of an eye for goals. I'd be very surprised if he was still at Cork City next season.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:54 pm

We really need to be looking outside the loi market if we want to progress in Europe.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

paul1
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by paul1 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:10 pm

No Cork player would make a difference to us in Europe no point signing same old same old . We have to look outside Ireland if we are to take that next step

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:10 pm

There isn’t a player in the League likely to be available that you’d make much effort to get. Still laugh at Karl Sheppard asking us to sign him then conning cork’s board into paying through the nose to keep him, and then all involved thinking we were the ones that were duped.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:16 pm

Shane Griffin and Conor McCormack are a long way short of the required standard.

Conor McCarthy has potential to develop, but would not currently displace any of our current centre halfs

Gearoid Morrissey has shown quality and grit in abundance in the past, but has been missing for Cork for some time now.

Daire O Connor is another who has flattered to deceive after a strong start this season. He might come good yet, but will need regular first team football somewhere to rebuild his career
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

colymull
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by colymull » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:46 pm

For a local-ish lad, Conor McCormack really seems to have a bee in his bonnet about Dundalk FC. Wasn't there a story about the time he came back from Italy and Ian Foster meet him off the plane, or soon afterwards? I wonder did something happen then?

Shoco
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Shoco » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:06 pm

He lost his place in the rovers team when Kenny took over, Kenny decided that Killian Brennan was a better center mid than him, I’d say Kenny got that one wrong. He may have had an issue with Kenny but he has no issues with Dundalk

Don
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Don » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:18 pm

There's a lot of conspiracy theories out there lads! Firstly, I'd definitely have all three for various reasons (ability, attitude, potential to develop, etc...)

Some of the people with opinions on McCormack are way off!! He's one of the most decorated and experienced players in the league (2 leagues, 2 cups, and 2 Setanta cups back when it used to mean something). To set the record straight, he has absolutely nothing against Dundalk, in fact he had tickets bought to go and support them in Tallaght on Tuesday night only something came up at the last minute. It's true that he trained for a week when Foster was there but there was no expectation or desire from either party for anything to materialize - Foster certainly didn't meet him off the plane!

Conor and the bauld O'Connor are the only local lads playing in the LOI - I'd have him here in a heartbeat.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:43 am

I'd have taken 2017 McCormack for 2018 certainly - and apart from his amazing ability to rack up yellow and red cards against us, I don't think there's any animosity there. But he's 30 next birthday and has declined with the rest of Cork's squad. He did ok in the match in Oriel in March but was all at sea in the return fixture in May. If we signed him now it would be to sit on the bench waiting for Shields to get injured and I think we're looking beyond that kind of thing at the moment.

Louth4sam
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by Louth4sam » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:12 am

If our ambition is to progress in Europe, no current players at Cork would improve us. Sadlier last year would have been a great signing though

There are actually very few players in the league that would improve our team. Rovers first eleven is very close to what we could put out, but they are weak beyond that and that's the main difference this year. From their first eleven Byrne, Kavanagh and Burke would walk into our team with the rest a similar or weaker standard than we have. Only Burke would be an option from that trio and at that he'd be a long shot. Worth a cheeky bid from us to Preston though.

Outside of Rovers you have a few young lads at Bohs but they still very green with Mandroiu being the stand out. I don't think any would immediately improve our side but some might be worth signing even if they are loaned straight back out. I'm surprised that we haven't started hoovering up the top young talent in the league and loaning them out similar to what Chelsea do with the hopes that we find a few gems. I could certainly see a ROI on that investment for the new owners.
"This is not only a point to make headlines, it is the truth. Football on artificial turf is the future." - FIFA president Sepp Blatter

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:17 am

Louth4sam wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:12 am

Outside of Rovers you have a few young lads at Bohs but they still very green with Mandroiu being the stand out. I don't think any would immediately improve our side but some might be worth signing even if they are loaned straight back out. I'm surprised that we haven't started hoovering up the top young talent in the league and loaning them out similar to what Chelsea do with the hopes that we find a few gems. I could certainly see a ROI on that investment for the new owners.
Apart from Mandriou, Darragh Leahy is another who could improve the squad
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.