Dundalk V Shamrock Rovers | Mon 23 Sept | 7.20pm | Oriel Park | Matchday 32

Discuss any news,views and opinions on Dundalk F.C.

Moderators: Duffman, Colin Gallagher

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Dundalk V Shamrock Rovers | Mon 23 Sept | 7.20pm | Oriel Park | Matchday 32

Post by Ezeikial » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:06 pm

And so it comes to pass that we can win the league on Monday night against Shamrock Rovers

Any time is a good time to beat them but nothing less than 3 points will set the champagne corks popping on the night.

It's set up perfectly to claim the title and at the same time put the Rovers players, management and supporters firmly in their place as an also-ran in this years title race.

Rovers seem to be the club that is most disliked by Dundalk fans in general - why is it so?
Last edited by Ezeikial on Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Re: Dundalk V Shamrock Rovers | Mon 23 Sept | 7.20pm | Oriel Park | Matchday 32

Post by El Paso » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:17 pm

Oooh, good question!

I will offer a number of reasons:
1. They are the club whose supporters are most likely to be violent in Oriel Park.
2. They are the club who most of the League's media are keenest to talk up.
3. They are the club who have got in our way the most in virtually every decade (our first FAI Cup Final, our closest domestic treble in 66-67, the taking of McLaughlin etc etc).
4. They do actually have the most trophies.
5. The violence at the 1987 FAI Cup Final.
6. The complete lack of self awareness when it comes to the way they stiffed their creditors out of millions only to walk into a taxpayer-funded stadium.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:32 pm

Meanwhile if you're Sham Rovers what do you do on Monday? League is over, they're not playing well the last few weeks (scraping past Bohs and Galway and being muck tonight by all accounts) and they have an FAI Cup Semi-Final next Friday, which their season now rests on. Bradley might have to consider resting some.

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:05 pm

El Paso wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:32 pm
Meanwhile if you're Sham Rovers what do you do on Monday? League is over, they're not playing well the last few weeks (scraping past Bohs and Galway and being muck tonight by all accounts) and they have an FAI Cup Semi-Final next Friday, which their season now rests on. Bradley might have to consider resting some.
I hope they play a full strength side

Bradley will be under pressure to do so, as a defeat, particularly a comprehensive one, would not play well with the fans who have delusions of their status.

Pride to overcome pragmatism?
Ezeikial posts personal opinions and observations from this supporters perspective.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:30 pm

It's a slight pity we can win it on Monday, as I'd like to have seen us rest a few with Sligo in mind. The League is over and now the Cup and ramming home our utter dominance looms large. Thought quite a few lads looked like they were leggy tonight. Ronan Murray's red card tonight means he's out of the semi final I presume?

Probable 11:
Gannon-Hoare-Boyle-Jarvis
Shields-Benson
McGrath-McEleney-Duffy
Hoban

Team I'd prefer:
Dummigan-Hoare-Boyle-Massey
McGrath-Benson-Murray
McEleney-G Kelly-Duffy

Ezeikial
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Ezeikial » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:57 am

Greg Bolger not planning on letting Dundalk win the league against Shamrock Rovers
https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer ... g-20098515

OK Greg, I hope you're feeling better soon

0rl
Reserves
Reserves

Post by 0rl » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:54 am

El Paso wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:30 pm
It's a slight pity we can win it on Monday, as I'd like to have seen us rest a few with Sligo in mind. The League is over and now the Cup and ramming home our utter dominance looms large. Thought quite a few lads looked like they were leggy tonight. Ronan Murray's red card tonight means he's out of the semi final I presume?

Probable 11:
Gannon-Hoare-Boyle-Jarvis
Shields-Benson
McGrath-McEleney-Duffy
Hoban

Team I'd prefer:
Dummigan-Hoare-Boyle-Massey
McGrath-Benson-Murray
McEleney-G Kelly-Duffy
While Rovers have been pants this season I think you are really just taking the piss out of them by not even fielding a goalkeeper against them :-)

Pepsi
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Pepsi » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:20 pm

Can you imagine what we will have to read and hear if they get as much as a point Monday night. They will be celebrating as if they finally won something......

Ony another note.....25 point turn around since they were growned champions to be by a certain journalist.....

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:44 pm

Haha!

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:08 pm

Interesting experiment on Monday. Rovers match on a lovely sunny Friday in April got over 4,000 despite the couple of bad results and performances in the run up.

We can win the League on Monday - an obviously more attractive match but it's on a Monday, which impacts the number of kids who can go. There'll be fewer Rovers at it you'd think, but there wasn't that many in April.

However it looks like it will be pissing rain, so the size of the crowd relative to the April match could be a useful indicator of the true 'Oriel effect' on our crowds. Maybe there really isn't one?

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:10 pm

Ezeikial wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:06 pm
And so it comes to pass that we can win the league on Monday night against Shamrock Rovers

Any time is a good time to beat them but nothing less than 3 points will set the champagne corks popping on the night.

It's set up perfectly to claim the title and at the same time put the Rovers players, management and supporters firmly in their place as an also-ran in this years title race.

Rovers seem to be the club that is most disliked by Dundalk fans in general - why is it so?
Because historically they are our main rivals for trophies. Drogheda might be the derby match but they are an insignificant small club. The first fixture you look for is rovers. If you had a parent or grandfather who was going to gamed in the 40's to 60's coad's rovers were the team to look up to. In ways it was bet into you to dislike rovers but it is also about getting to 18 titles before them. When Kenny took over we were 8 behind them. Hopefully come Monday night we are only 3 behind them. Another reason to dislike them is their fans. The 100 or so who cause trouble swells and increases to a cpl hundred. I remember when there was no segregation at games and saw the shed in open warfare. And then there was the riot at dalymount at the 87 cup final when they beat us 3-0. The Keep Rovers At Miltown (KRAM) riot. But there is one thing we can thank them for. Sacking Stephen Kenny.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.

oldfogey
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by oldfogey » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:20 pm

niall_hearty2000 wrote: But there is one thing we can thank them for. Sacking Stephen Kenny.
That's probably the modern reason they hate us so much. Stephen Kenny and Ronan Finn joined us and became winners. Finn has gone back and done little. The magic is in Oriel.

shedboy4life
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by shedboy4life » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:09 pm

I don’t want to give this modern incarnation of Rovers any credit.
Living off trophies won decades ago is meaningless considering the changes this league has gone through. To me Dundalks record since the league has been split into two divisions surpasses the record of Rovers title wins. They might have won more of them but we won more of them in living memory. Let’s put them in their place Monday night.
The natural balance of Irish football has returned for good.

El Paso
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular

Post by El Paso » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:35 am

shedboy4life wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:09 pm
Living off trophies won decades ago is meaningless considering the changes this league has gone through. To me Dundalks record since the league has been split into two divisions surpasses the record of Rovers title wins. They might have won more of them but we won more of them in living memory. Let’s put them in their place Monday night.
Rovers first two titles were when we weren't in the League. Once we seal our 14th, the only Shamrock Rovers fan who has witnessed his club win as many titles as our club in his lifetime is in his 90s. Every Rovers fan you meet is basing their superiority on stuff that happened before they were born.

niall_hearty2000
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by niall_hearty2000 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:09 am

El Paso wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:35 am
shedboy4life wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:09 pm
Rovers first two titles were when we weren't in the League. Once we seal our 14th, the only Shamrock Rovers fan who has witnessed his club win as many titles as our club in his lifetime is in his 90s. Every Rovers fan you meet is basing their superiority on stuff that happened before they were born.
That is what history defines.. football in England didn't just begin with the premier league era. So should we erase the success Dundalk had before we were born too or just Rovers success? We can't pick and choose it. Honours are honours no matter when they were won.
Dundalk Fc. First Irish club to win points in group stages of a major European Competition.